Price Check

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

DSAbug

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
How do you guys normally check the value of your rare coins? For example, I was trying to check ebay for 2000 1 oz dragons and I'm not seeing any auctions ending any time soon. Are there other sites you guys check?

TBH I usually scan a basket of coin types (mainly krugerrands, but also eagles and sovereigns) on eBay - completed listings only (obviously) - and use that to work things out, estimating on the low side.

This used to be quite easy because volume was consistently high, with nearly all of them being the real thing. More recently there are fewer real coins on sale - with a sh*tload of them being plated clones or other trash (I don't mean fake sales, specifically, I just mean distracting crap that nobody in their right mind would want to touch). There has been a clear shift away from 'available quality' here.

I don't bother tracking premiums on the less common coins. I just assume they'll be similar and count them as krugerrands (i.e. anything + is a bonus).

OTOH I made sure all the less common coin types I chased were near spot so I wouldn't have to track them separately!

There are a couple of automated ebay-based coin premium tracking systems (one on Kitco and there is another on 24hgold.com IIRC) but I always thought those were subject to freak ebay listings - not enough filtering and averaging involved. Better done by eye perhaps, every few months? Your Mileage May Vary.

I can't tell you about most rare coins but I do know a place to check the value of the Australian Lunar Calendar coins.

Call these guys, they specialize in Aussie Lunar Coins: http://www.certifiedmint.com/

P.S. I've been kicking myself in the ass for not trading in my Krugs and Eagles back in 2000 when they were highly recommending the trade. It was going to cost me like $30 a coin or something and that seemed to high. Ugh.... Oh well, you can't win them all; I still have my Krugs and Eagles and they've done pretty well

You could also try calling Apmex and a few other dealers and ask them what their buy price is.

It's very easy today I use ebay and other retail sites and forums regards coins.

Back
Top Bottom