Purchases of Less Than an Ounce

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mark

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
I know with silver, it's not wise to purchase less than an ounce, but I was just curious about gold. What's the consensus on buy less than an ounce of gold at a time. I just did some calculations on 5 grams of 24K and I would be paying over $300.00 over asking (today's closing) at that rate. Just curious. I'm fairly new to investing and have been sticking to Ag, but I like Au.
Thanks

As usual, the more you buy at once, the lower the per ounce price is going to be. I personally try buy less often so I can stick with 1/2 ounce or 1 ounce increments, but this is really going to depend on how much you can afford. Anything under 1/10 of an ounce and the premium is just too high in my opinion.

$.02

Almost of my gold is in 1 oz Gold Eagles, but I have several 1/10th oz Gold Eagles as well. I like e'm! Yes, the premium is something like 11% over spot, but I like the option of being able to use/trade/give away small pieces of gold if and when it comes to that.

Try and grab a gram or two, all the way up to half an ounce every time you add to your silver stack, and before you know it, you'll have plenty of gold to!

Depending on your beliefs, (what the main motivator is behind you buying metal) smaller gold may be a better fit for you and your plan. If having smaller gold for barter and such fits your plan, then it's worth the extra fiat now.

Buying metal is much more than a get rich scheme - once you delve deeply into all the happenings surrounding it, it can become almost a lifestyle. Figure out what you believe, and many of the answers will present themselves!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom