Rain

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ancona

Praying Mantis
Reaction score
For those who live in the east, specifically from Florida up the east coast to NY, the rain that's coming is going to be pretty epic. It has been raining here in Central Florida since Sunday, and it will likely continue to do so until at least this Sunday. A system off of teh Yucatan has been pretty much stationary for several days now and is pumping massive quantities of moisture over Florida. We're expecting between 16 and 24 inches of rain between now and Sunday/Monday, which is something we are kind of used to, but for those who live in hilly areas or near streams/rivers, I would be prepared with the old bug out bag just in case. Even though we're largely flat across the state, we still can and do flood.

If the system does not begin to move substantially pretty soon, it will likely turn in to a tropical storm or a weak hurricane by the weekend.:paperbag:

Your post is helpful- it tells me that I should not water the yard.

glub, glub, glub... IIRC we have already HAD a wetter than normal spring, and definitely a cooler than normal spring.

Maybe a good time to practice boating skills?

Even though we're largely flat across the state, we still can and do flood.

Largely flat? Except for very small portions of Florida, the whole state would easily float under a bridge that I cross daily.

Maybe a good time to practice boating skills?

Not sure practicing boating skills will alleviate the boating accidents forum members seem to be prone to.

Last edited:
Over here in Central Europe (Switzerland, Austria, Germany) we had "century flood" due to heavy rainfall coupled with snow melting from the alps. Many rivers carried so much water that they were flowing at 3 times their normal levels. The Southern German town of Passau where three rivers merge had floods that were highest in 500 years. The watermark reached the first floor of the medieval city buildings:

The floodwave has now arrived in the Northern parts of Germany before it will flow into the North Sea.

my son graduated HS tomorrow night, outdoors. Possible severe thunderstorms. WooHoo.

We're finally getting that rain up here in SW VA. Serious stuff, but like ancona says, we're sorta used to it. I could wish my large water collection tank ordered last week had gotten here...and I'm glad I live halfway up the mountain - wind above, floods below. But it's been years since I've seen standing water in my garden, or streams in the swales between the hills here. Bodes well for the second hay crop, and other crops around here.

I bet the New River will afford me some great flooding pix if I can get down there in the next day or two. I'm pretty sure the stream that starts in springs in my backyard will wash out the culverts a mile downstream and strand a bunch of people (again) on this one - it will fill the bottoms, where it's normally only about 3 foot wide, it'll become about 100 feet wide and about 3 foot deep on what's normally flat bottom land for a couple days.

One of the local farmers who has been helping me upgrade my infrastructure brought me a few pounds of his strawberries and 30 lb of grass fed beef yesterday. Looks like a bumper year for the locals, and this will mostly help us around here, even though we rarely lack water, it's always nice to have a real plenty. Anyone who has farmed around here has long since dealt with runoff issues in their slanted fields, to prevent huge ruts. It will kill some newbies though, who didn't plan their driveway drainage right - I fully expect some panicked phone calls to go rescue them as they won't be able to get out and won't have prepared well enough to be able to stay in till it's over. Some of them need the lesson - you don't dominate nature, you work with it, and this will be that lesson for them. And then suddenly all our "old-timer" advice will sound as smart as it was, back when they were poo-poo-ing it.

Here's a short look at the area just after the first day of rain. I was quite lucky to get back home - as most know, it takes awhile for the rain to get downstream, and one of the creeks I had to cross was safely under the road when I went to the store, and 10 min later when I came back - 3" over the road (and I was in my little Volt). Next time, I take the truck, especially if it rains like that today again (predicted).

Just a little fun. Even the ducks got out of the river for awhile, but this isn't flood stage for us - yet.

It is going to come down pretty steady for the rest of the day DC, but this thing is moving pretty fast and should clear out by late tonight. We got slammed with some pretty good rain here, but we really needed it. For most of the day yesterday, it was nice, steady rainfall, the kind that has time to absorb in to the ground. With all the brush we have since the last big series of fires, I'm not looking forward to fire season in the fall.

I hope everything goes well for you up in WVA brother.

This rain- was a big deal. Much of it missed us- we dont have the fllooding like they do on Long Island.

But the humid here has me hot and cold and all out of whack. This murky soupy air is stagnant- and I think some will end up with summer colds. Pollen, mold- thru the roof.

wheew, now I understand, where all the fecking Irish rain had gone for the past few weeks! I don't remember such a long stretch of a great, sunny weather here, since I come to Ireland, as we've had here in recent weeks/month maybe :)

Back
Top Bottom