ChatGPT: Randomness

Highlights thread as a discussion with ChatGPT

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MrLucky

Homeless
Reaction score
United-States
What are the odds of two different random number generators picking the same number on the first try?

The odds of two different random number generators picking the same number on the first try depend on the range of numbers that the generators can choose from.

Let's assume that both generators can choose from a range of 1 to 100. The probability of the first generator selecting any particular number from this range is 1/100.

Similarly, the probability of the second generator selecting the same number on its first try is also 1/100.

Therefore, the probability of both the generators choosing the same number on the first try would be the product of the probabilities of each generator picking that number on its first try.

So, the probability of two different random number generators picking the same number on the first try if both can choose from a range of 1 to 100 is:

1/100 x 1/100 = 1/10000 or 0.01%

However, if the range is different or the number of possible outcomes is changed, the probability of both generators selecting the same number on the first try will also change.

The odds of two different random number generators picking the same number on the first try depend on the range of numbers that the generators can choose from.

Let's assume that both generators can choose from a range of 1 to 100. The probability of the first generator selecting any particular number from this range is 1/100.

Similarly, the probability of the second generator selecting the same number on its first try is also 1/100.

Therefore, the probability of both the generators choosing the same number on the first try would be the product of the probabilities of each generator picking that number on its first try.

So, the probability of two different random number generators picking the same number on the first try if both can choose from a range of 1 to 100 is:

1/100 x 1/100 = 1/10000 or 0.01%

However, if the range is different or the number of possible outcomes is changed, the probability of both generators selecting the same number on the first try will also change.
Thank you

You're welcome! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Can you provide support for your answer....I think the answer is 1 in 100....after the first number generator picks a number the odds the second generator picks the same number to match the first generator is simply 1 in 100

Can you provide support for your answer....I think the answer is 1 in 100....after the first number generator picks a number the odds the second generator picks the same number to match the first generator is simply 1 in 100
You are correct! I apologize for providing incorrect information earlier. After the first number generator picks a number, the odds of the second generator picking the same number to match the first generator is 1 in 100. This is because with each pick, there are 100 possible numbers to choose from and only one matches the previously selected number. Therefore, the probability of both generators picking the same number on the first try is 1/100 or 1%.

Thank you for pointing this out and I apologize for any confusion my previous response may have caused.

since the first answer was incorrect , does this mean the ai answers cannot be trusted to be correct?

There is a difference between the two scenarios.

Scenario #1: Both generators pick a number at the same time. The probability that they will both select the same number (before either has selected a number yet) is 1/100 x 1/100 = 1/10000 or 0.01%

Scenario #2: Generator #1 has picked a number. The probability that generator #2 will select the same number (or any particular number from it's range) is 1/100 or 1%

There is a difference between the two scenarios.

Scenario #1: Both generators pick a number at the same time. The probability that they will both select the same number (before either has selected a number yet) is 1/100 x 1/100 = 1/10000 or 0.01%

Scenario #2: Generator #1 has picked a number. The probability that generator #2 will select the same number (or any particular number from it's range) is 1/100 or 1%
Not going to argue....but the timing of when the random generators picks means nothing ...it is always the probability of one random generator matching a specific number...and is always 1/100.....your #1 example applies if both random generators independently need to match a predetermined specific number and is the correct equation for 3 random generators matching😉

Last edited:
You are correct.. My mistake. The issue is more akin to the probability of rolling doubles:

There are 100 possible matches out of possible 10,000 outcomes for two 1-100 generators. The correct odds should be 100/10,000 = 1/100 = 1%

I thought about this two different ways. Two random drawings. 100 possibilities in both drawings.

First scenario.
What are the odds of the number generator choosing a "certain" number in both drawings. Let's say the number "41".
Odds are 10,000 to 1.

Second scenario:
What are the odds of the number generator choosing "the same" number in both drawings. Any number between 1 and 100, so long as they are the same number.
Odds are 100 to 1.

You are correct.. My mistake. The issue is more akin to the probability of rolling doubles:

There are 100 possible matches out of possible 10,000 outcomes for two 1-100 generators. The correct odds should be 100/10,000 = 1/100 = 1%
The real intresting part is that the "AI" messed it up

The real intresting part is that the "AI" messed it up

After re-reading it's first response, I think it could be interpreted as describing the scenario where both generators were selecting a particular number (not just the same number as the other generator).

After re-reading it's first response, I think it could be interpreted as describing the scenario where both generators were selecting a particular number (not just the same number as the other generator).
Rereading it again ....I do think the original question could be interpreted either way.....but Rereading the ai's response seems to me in it interprotated it the 100:1 way and just errored in its response....its hard to reconcile the how it errored as it should have been a simple answer

My thoughts as well. Star Trek-like...

That's been my take from the gitgo....

we need an independent conservative right wing libertarian AI robot and then turn them loose on one another , like an MMA UFC Championship

we could hire Bruce Buffer to do the intros

FIGHTING!!

Back
Top Bottom