Ray Dalio sees dollar crisis about two years away

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

https://medium.com/sequoia-capital/coronavirus-the-black-swan-of-2020-7c72bdeb9753

`

It might be cause of the corona virus, but it looks like he's got a good shot at having the timing of the collapse right.

More (including video): https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/19/inv...ill-top-4-trillion.html?__source=twitter|main

Dalio thinks the Fed needs to explode the money supply over 100%? Stupid goldbugs.

https://www.kitco.com/news/2020-04-...trash-relative-to-gold-during-Reddit-AMA.html

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ecession-since-great-depression-idUSKCN21R1SM

More: https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/d...isk-reward-equities-bad-ive-seen-it-my-career

also: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...d-recovery-for-u-s-is-a-fantasy?sref=61mHmpU4

Dalio talked previously about a paradigm shift coming exacerbated by the divide between the haves and the have nots. The division is getting some play in the media lately...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/i...d-be-even-worse-2020-05-13?mod=capitol-report

More (long): https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/taibbi-covid-19-bailout-wall-street-997342/

Well we are at the two year mark from Ray Dalio's original dollar crisis prediction. The dollar is facing challenges, but I'm not sure we are at crisis yet. Something something markets remain irrational longer than you can stay solvent ...

That old election could finish it off ........
A civil war will finish off quite a few things )-:

Otherwise US$ is doing just fine and usefully better against UK£ (-;

Dalio still expecting catastrophic outcome in the near future though the timeline has shifted a bit...

Ray continues sharing his ray of sunshine outlook for the future:

Yeah

anyone here brave enough to borrow trash and buy shiny ?
And store it in a foreign vault or your sunken boat ...............

It could be the trade of a lifetime but I do wonder what would happen if interest rates hit 20% ( or hyperinflation takes rates even higher ) and the debt becomes unpayable, even with rates of pay increasing fast.

But if you simpy fade away and stop communicating with your lender(s) I suspect they are going to be somewhat distracted with grabbing assets they can grab and sell or rent out.

May we live in interesting times eh ?

My bank wants around 6% APR for a personal loan right now. Could probably make that pretty easy in week or two with some crypto right now, but it would be a huge gamble.

Shiny is a long term insurance IMO.

These fellas dont see interest rates going up and inflation running hot ie good for gold
Their thinking seems pretty solid, which supports the idea of borrowing trash and buying shiny

That was a good read. The authors did not appear to have considered alternate scenarios where central banks might change the rules of the game either with CBDCs or SDRs. Still, it seems likely that gold is currently undervalued. It's hard to invest in it with so many bubbles frothing around vying for investor attention with higher and more immediate ROI.

Billionaire investor Ray Dalio, the founder of the $150 billion hedge fund Bridgewater Associates — the world’s largest — made a case that there’s a “good probability” bitcoin could be outlawed ...

How popular does it have to get before governments reach the tipping point for action?

Theres no doubt those in control would like to ban crypto currencies.
Banning it is a bit like banning the internet, also too late and new routes evolve as quickly as old ways are curtailed or the org's self destruct by trying to control that which cannot be controlled eg twitter etc
It cannot be seized at the border and sitting quietly in an off line wallet, its not going to show up and ask to be confiscated.

I'm not a techie but Ive followed the bitcoin story from the start and its whole raison d'etre is to exist beyond central control.

Dalio admits he doesnt really understand it ............

Didnt the CCP ban Bitcoin a couple of years back ? How did that work out for them ?
Didnt India try to stop people holding gold ? And now its going to ban bitcoin ? Hmmmmm

Ray published a book a while back and produced a ~40min Youtube with a condensed version of the material:

His Principles books on amazon:

Last edited:
This post may contain affiliate links for which PM Bug gold and silver discussion forum may be compensated.
Ray published a book a while back and produced a ~40min Youtube with a condensed version of the material:
So what are your personal thoughts on it? Is he off his rocker? Or is he merely pointing things out that should be readily apparent to anyone paying the least bit of attention to where this ride is taking us?
...or something altogether different?

So what are your personal thoughts on it? ...

Mr. Dalio is warning about the end of the American Empire/Hegemony. It's the same thing that lots of people have been saying. I myself have been watching signals on this topic for well over a decade now (see the vortex thread). What I appreciate in Mr. Dalio's commentary is his study of history and conveyance of a helicopter view of the story in a manner easily digestible by the masses. I also appreciate that Mr. Dalio is a voice that reaches a large audience. He earned respect with his investing career. So folks who aren't prone to listening to bugs sometimes will listen when someone like Mr. Dalio speaks. YMMV.

Transcript of an interview Mr. Dalio did on CNBC a few weeks ago.

17 minute interview of Ray.

@11 minutes in he lists what he thinks will right the ship. Amoumts to doing the exact opposite of everything the government does. Lol
So fat chance of that happening.

Here's another interview. Around the 25 min mark, the interviewer asked him, "what can we do in the near term?" After he gave the first part of his answer the audience laughed the interviewer chuckled and said, what's number two? Lol

It's like everyone knows this ship ain't getting righted before the storm.

Trying to get those in gov to change how they do things, when they see no need to change, is a bridge to nowhere.

About 35 minutes, with the first several being an overview of his "principles" video. For those up to snuff on that vid, you'd be pretty safe starting around the 10-11 minute mark.

I saw a Ray Dalio commercial on youtube today. It consisted of a clip out of his video.

Was the commercial promoting his book or something else?
I didn't watch the whole thing, but what I did see of it was a clip out of his video, "Changing World Order".
Edited to add: it was the part where he shows the graph of rising and falling currencies.

I watched it for a little bit, but there were other people watching with me too, and after a few minutes I had to hit skip ad.

If I see it again, I will watch it all the way through to see what it was promoting.

Dalio's latest:

The FED can raise intetest rates to prop up the $USD index, but then you run into a slow economy and higher debt expenses.

They need to get gas prices back to $2.50 for reg and diesel. They also need to reduce govt spending. The economy is out of balance with too many govt employees and programs.

I had a go at reading Dalio's latest offering ^
He gave me the impression that it was all a bit 'Goldilocks' ie not too hot not too cold.
Somewhat mainstream and no real worries regarding all the 'conspiracy' stuff.

This is a shift from 'its all gonna fall down in about 2 years' ........

... This is a shift from 'its all gonna fall down in about 2 years' ........

Agreed. Not sure if he's actually moderated his personal view or just wants to sell more of his books (to a wider audience). If anything, it looks to me like the issues he's been warning about are further away from solution than they were when he started raising concerns. Fiscal deficits, monetary policy uncertainty and political polarization all seem to be accelerating.

It looks like this is the commentary they referenced:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…