retail cratering

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I am amazed that SEARS is still in business. The only positive impact that they have managed to create in the past decade or two is the fact that they saved K-Mart from going completely under and shutting their doors. The reality is that the face of retail stores has changed drastically over the past 20 years and as long as Wal-Mart continues to grow, and it will do exactly that, other retail locations need to make major changes if they wish to stay in business.

Wal-Mart has changed the face of retail business forever and it seems that SEARS simply cannot or will not make the necessary changes in order to compete. In time, there is little doubt that SEARS will become a business that people talk about in a past tense. The Facebook page proves exactly what you are saying. If that is the best that a multi-million dollar company can do, they probably deserve to go under.

Anecdotal report from my neck of the woods prior to Christmas was that traffic around the local shopping mall was as crazy as it ever was. Views from the nearby freeway indicated overflowing parking lots. I'm not sure if people were actually buying anything, but I avoided that mess as best I could.

Also, I picked up a handful of things at Walmart on the Thanksgiving day (evening) early start of Black Friday. It was pretty crazy in there at that time. Not so much a month later when I had to return to pick up an item that had to be shipped to the store.

@DG - Walmart and amazon will be the last two titans standing duking it out like Rock 'em Sock 'em robots.

Back
Top Bottom