Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Door-to-door scammers are selling new roofs with the panels and financing the junk to suckers. If your roof is more than 10 years old they really shouldn't be selling solar. You aren't even guaranteed to get a good roof, only one that takes payments.

Do not do it!!

Not to mention it costs $$ ($5K) to remove and reinstall solar if you're going to replace the shingles.

Squirrels love living under the panels.

Not to mention it costs $$ ($5K) to remove and reinstall solar if you're going to replace the shingles.

Squirrels love living under the panels.
If someone is going to put up solar panels...he'd be best off with a metal roof underneath.

I've never seen it - I don't know any homeowners with solar panels - but I know the habits of squirrels. They'll make nests in such a space - it's ideal for them, easy to base with twigs, it's got remote entrances...nice and restricted and secure. And all those tasty WIRES to chew on!

Squirrels are just rats with better PR. You can see it if you catch a squirrel in the early-morning or late-evening sunshine, light through the tail - under all that fluff is a rat's pink whip of a tail.

It gets very hot under solar panels. I actively participate in a solar forum and have never heard of nesting squirrels as being a problem.

Wires, tightly fastened on rails and then into metal conduit, are not much of a target for rodents. Sure it’s possible, but again, nobody I know of with solar solar is complaining about it

Where did you get that from?
Guy who had squirrels living under the panels... there's about a 2" (?) gap under there... at least, that's what I've seen in these parts.

Dude, if you have time you should set up others for a fee. I would definitely consider it for my next home.
This guy is great, he may give you the confidence to try it yourself.

I purchased my system from a local electrician. Great guy teaches at the local community college.

Original cost $22,000 after deductions (from my income tax) $8,200. Reached the ROI a few years back.
NYS and Uncle Sam were offering hard to turn down tax deductions. Many people were leasing systems but the company I contacted insisted the panels go on the roof. Too many downsides for me.
If contractors are offering leased roof installation near you then there's still money to be made. All the best!!

Steve

Screenshot 2023-09-29 171018.png

Attachments

• 20181111_135302 (1).jpg
    20181111_135302 (1).jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 7
My system is grid tied, meaning the meter turns backward in sunlight and forward at night. In other words the utility company acts like my battery. The power company and I square up once a year and they usually give me pennies on the dollar for the excess I generate.

Downside of this arrangment, if there's a blackout, I lose power. In the northeast where I live it doesn't make financial sense to your own battery bank and be fully independant. In a off grid solution the batteries are the most expensive part. In the sun belt off grid solutions are more common.

Screenshot 2023-09-29 172700.png

With an off-grid system you can by extra panels and have an EV. Then your EV is a car and a battery. Never by gas again.

And you can vote for democrats. LOL

My system is grid tied, meaning the meter turns backward in sunlight and forward at night. In other words the utility company acts like my battery. The power company and I square up once a year and they usually give me pennies on the dollar for the excess I generate.

Downside of this arrangment, if there's a blackout, I lose power. In the northeast where I live it doesn't make financial sense to your own battery bank and be fully independant. In a off grid solution the batteries are the most expensive part. In the sun belt off grid solutions are more common.

View attachment 10621
Yep, unless you have lengthy blackouts often, a generator is the best (cheaper) option for a blackout over batteries.

I want one of those water wheel systems made from old washing machine parts that runs 24/7/365 when it's embedded in a creek. Except in the winter.

I’m building a place that will be completely off grid.
Unless you're way out in the boonies I suggest making it possible to connect to the grid at some point in the future.

If you ever go to sell it, you'll be hard pressed to find a person with the mental acuity to understand how to run it.

You folks might enjoy this old thread where @DCFusor (RIP) talked about his solar set up:

You folks might enjoy this old thread where @DCFusor (RIP) talked about his solar set up:

Good stuff in the thread. Vids and some links work. Here's some links for anyone interested.

It gets very hot under solar panels. I actively participate in a solar forum and have never heard of nesting squirrels as being a problem.

Wires, tightly fastened on rails and then into metal conduit, are not much of a target for rodents. Sure it’s possible, but again, nobody I know of with solar solar is complaining about it
The dumb sh!t code where the panels are required a screen and mesh netting to prevent shock to humans. Turned out to be a great place for mice to nest and they chewed through some of the wires. The screen and the mesh netting are long gone.

Unless you're way out in the boonies I suggest making it possible to connect to the grid at some point in the future.

If you ever go to sell it, you'll be hard pressed to find a person with the mental acuity to understand how to run it.
Yes, two powerline poles with the last one having a transformer on it are in my yard. I will hook up during construction, but after that, I will disconnect. And I never plan on selling the place… perhaps my relatives will when they toss me into a nursing home or 6’ pit.

Back
Top Bottom