sales tax?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

escobar

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
is there sales tax on silver coins if you are purchasing them from an online retailer that has a physical location in the same state you are shipping them to?

I do not know the answer, but I imagine if you call their "1-800-number", that they probably would.

The ONLY time I bought on-line was for Pt that shipped to my state (they were elsewhere), and I paid no sales tax.

And, of course, in many states showing up to the coin shop in person and buying incurs no sales tax in most states (the last two I lived in had no sales tax on Eagles).

is there sales tax on silver coins if you are purchasing them from an online retailer that has a physical location in the same state you are shipping them to?

Yes, if the state in question taxes silver sales. Every state has different rules. In Texas, local sales under $1,000 are taxed. Sales over $1,000 are not taxed. This means small purchases from Provident aren't as good a deal for me as for folks living outside of Texas.

If they sell to you in yout state they are required to collect it, however, outside the state, there is no obligatipon to do so.

Depends on your state laws. Some states have no sales tax in cases like these, but they do have an equivalent use tax. Every state is different. You need to check your state's laws.

Back
Top Bottom