Silver Eagle Price & Premium Comparison

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Don't you just love how the coins are carrying a premium that's over 50% of spot?

26b250a738ea4abc7a5af4d42ad93af0.jpg

I'm undecided. If silver starts to get counterfeited then those big bars may be a problem.
I would only buy them from reputable dealers, but its a valid point and could be an issue when trying to unload them. I keep all of my receipts but........

I would only buy them from reputable dealers, but its a valid point and could be an issue when trying to unload them. I keep all of my receipts but........
Most any shop buying them would proof them out when you bring them in. You could also write their corresponding serial numbers on the receipt as another reminder of where they came from.

Makes me glad most of stuff is old. Counterfeits are going to be a real problem down the line.

That's kinda why I really like the newer Germania mint products. They are serialized but also have a plastic wrapper which I believe is coded as well. They keep a list and could cross reference if you really needed.

not yet, i'm waiting for a better GSR
I'm with Buck on this one.

I would sell some silver/buy gold under 50 to 1. (Generic rounds, not silver Eagles.)
Then, hopefully trade back gold for silver above 90 at some point even if it takes 10 years to occur.

Would like to take advantage of these ratios when the market is out of whack and make some trades, but it's not easy.

When the ratio gets really strange, weird things happen that mess up the trade:
Either the dealers are sold out of silver or premiums increase substantially.
Then the ratio we try to achieve is demolished because of the premium.

Just like right now. Gold spot at $1,645.00 Silver spot at $18.29 (Nearly 90 to 1.)
However, generic silver rounds are $23.00 minimum. So, $1,645.00 / $23.00 is about 71 to 1. Not good enough to dump gold for silver.

Just a few short years ago my local brick and mortar was paying Silver spot minus $0.65 and selling for Spot plus $1.00 per ounce.
Now, he is offering to pay spot plus $1.00 and nothing is coming in.

A place online in Gainesville has buffalo rounds for $22 this weekend.
Feels like a falling knife though. At least stores have a little inventory

Today, GSR of 89.96 silver to 1 ounce of gold...premiums will mess up that equation but that's the number to work towards and lately, that still favors dumping gold and gouging on silver

it's easier to simply buy silver like it's going out of style, right now, for the future trade into gold when you'll be able to increase your holdings without spending any cash

the GSR i'm waiting for is nearer 40 to 1, i'd prefer it as low as 30 something to 1 and will wait, i've dumped some gold for various swaps to test the waters and there is a potential to never come out on top if your trading partner wants too much for his cut

liquidating at coin shows is one way to secure adequate trading as you can bounce one dealer off another off of another, etc, same with the buy

it's not a 'normal' thing, at first, a bit weird as my goal was to hold, always, then i found opportunities and soon i was trading one metal for the other, then selling out for profit, then buying back in but getting a whole lot more to 'trade' with

i've got a chart around here on when to liquidate any real quantity so, i've found ways to make that an easier process when the time comes, and it will

that ratio was here only a decade or so back...it'll come back, in the mean time, try to find ways to increase what you have without spending any more cash...

it's not difficult if you're creative...

Today, GSR of 89.96 silver to 1 ounce of gold...premiums will mess up that equation but that's the number to work towards and lately, that still favors dumping gold and gouging on silver

it's easier to simply buy silver like it's going out of style, right now, for the future trade into gold when you'll be able to increase your holdings without spending any cash

the GSR i'm waiting for is nearer 40 to 1, i'd prefer it as low as 30 something to 1 and will wait, i've dumped some gold for various swaps to test the waters and there is a potential to never come out on top if your trading partner wants too much for his cut

liquidating at coin shows is one way to secure adequate trading as you can bounce one dealer off another off of another, etc, same with the buy

it's not a 'normal' thing, at first, a bit weird as my goal was to hold, always, then i found opportunities and soon i was trading one metal for the other, then selling out for profit, then buying back in but getting a whole lot more to 'trade' with

i've got a chart around here on when to liquidate any real quantity so, i've found ways to make that an easier process when the time comes, and it will

that ratio was here only a decade or so back...it'll come back, in the mean time, try to find ways to increase what you have without spending any more cash...

it's not difficult if you're creative...
Exactly.... Nice post Buck.
I want gold, but am currently buying silver. As cheap as I can. Hoping that in a few years I wont believe how out of balance the ratio used to be. Staying away from Coin silver, personally.

Exactly.... Nice post Buck.
I want gold, but am currently buying silver. As cheap as I can. Hoping that in a few years I wont believe how out of balance the ratio used to be. Staying away from Coin silver, personally.
i'm flipping some of my 'collectibles', some personal stuff, some art bars i picked up at spot...using that to supplement my stash, to pay off some notes i've got

it's like it's a full time job sometimes but, that's what i expected decades ago when, as a child i got this infection, this disease

one day you'll find me buried under the piles of crap i've got...unless i sell it all, at a profit, first (i'll leave a little something / something for the kids and the wife will get it all if i go first)

;)

but i'm all kinda discombobulated still, from the coin show circuit getting all messed up and have yet to firmly entrench myself back into that game...but i will
and have you seen what has been done to submission costs from the TPG???

WOW, so, i've gotta study my next steps for a bit longer...

Cheapest SAE's listed @ $35.00. Gold Eagles, Buffalo's available @ $1900.00
SAE to GAE Ratio around 54/1.

Back
Top Bottom