Silver options expiry manipulation in one chart

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jessee and Harvey Organ are two people I follow pretty closely. Jesse has great charts and Harvey distils and disseminates important daily PM updates. I really enjoy reading ZH as well, but commenting on there is a no holds barred kind of thing, so you had better have thick skin.

Can we assume that there were a LARGE number of short positions expiring on May 25 and Sept 27, as judged by the large dropoff in silver price just before those dates?

Where is a good source of info on the web that shows the number of shorts or longs that are coming due on any given date?

I don't have a bookmark to the forensics of the May situation I read a while back, but there was definitely shenanigans in the after hours trading leading a smash down just before the CME raised margin requirements to the moon. It was a coordinated effort IMO.

Typical effort to cause a chain reaction due to the triggering of several stop losses during the thinest hours of trading on May 1st, a sunday:

EDIT: The chart is actually misleading, silver fell even more on May 1st as far as I remember.

Last edited:
lol... A $4-5 move in minutes when all markets except the Globex are closed at dark thirty at night. Hey, what's 10% between friends?

Where is a good source of info on the web that shows the number of shorts or longs that are coming due on any given date?

Or...where can a person find data on the number of gold and silver shorts and longs coming due at future dates?

Sooooo right Steven.
+100 trillion [or so]

Just like Maddof, when the withdraws become greater than the input.......BOOM!!!

I cant wait!

For those of you who wonder why options expiry is the preferred time for price manipulation, here is a good explanation. It´s from April 2011:
http://www.fmxconnect.com/fmxmetals...ion-and-the-May-Silver-2440-Calls-Part-1.aspx

http://www.fmxconnect.com/fmxmetals...ion-and-the-May-Silver-2440-Calls-Part-2.aspx

We'll see. It looks like some strong hands aree buying today. I hope Blythe and Da Boyz get their nuts crushed!

Up a buck thirty to 35.50. It looks like they overshot the mark. I'll take it anyway. Actually, I'm looking to sell a pile at 45 or so. If the market keeps moving at this current rate, that should be next Thursday. ;-)

Opex is on tuesday. Silver probably won't get below the critical $26 level until then. The days after opex are going to be critical. If $26 doesn't hold, it's gonna get ugly.

It's so aggravating that the regulators simply turn their head each and every expiration date, allowing the fraud to continue. There can be no possible way that JPM has anything close to the quantity of silver they are shorting.

I wish someone like Carlos Slim would place an order for something like two billion in silver, effectively crushing Blythe Masters and the JPM silver desk in one fell swoop.

If you're on the buy side and make unusual trades, the regulators go after you with everything they have immediately, see what happened to the Hunt brothers...

Ok, as I have been suspecting yesterday, opex trading is iin full gear. Pm stay flat despite dxy appreciation and stocks deeply in the red. This means:
A) they shut the algos out of pm markets. Pms are trading uncorrelated to other assets today.
B) maybe somebody is fixing the current price levels, i.e. 1575 for gold and 26.75 or 27 (not sure about that yet) for silver. If this options trader needed to make supportive purchases to keep the prices UP against the general trend in other asset classes today, he'll have to unwind his position once options are settled tomorrow. This could mean heavy downside risk on wednesday and the rest of the week.

If you're on the buy side and make unusual trades, the regulators go after you with everything they have immediately, see what happened to the Hunt brothers...

How could they go after you if you simply bought up as much physical bullion as you can afford/find? The Hunt brothers made the mistake of using leverage and having the regulators change the leverage rules on them.

How could they go after you if you simply bought up as much physical bullion as you can afford/find? The Hunt brothers made the mistake of using leverage and having the regulators change the leverage rules on them.

They went after Buffet in 1998 (?) too. He bought physical, but pm markets are so small that it wasn't difficult to find the buyer. I lack the time to give you the details of the Buffet story, but I'm sure you can google it

Hmm.......up 74 cents today. I figured the smash team would try and keep the momentum going and crush silver some more today. I guess they are busy covering some of those shorts.

Hmm.......up 74 cents today. I figured the smash team would try and keep the momentum going and crush silver some more today. I guess they are busy covering some of those shorts.
Not necessarily. Opex manipulation is all about getting the price level in place which makes the most options expire worthless, so the bullion bank can cash in the premium on the options. There are probably a lot of july put options below 27.5, so it was rational to push prices up. We'll see whether this was the case on the days after opex when the options trader would have to unwind his position (as i said above). If there's no crash, however, then it was short covering as you said.

opex is on Tuesday (8-28). My gut tells me that we're going below 30 for that and then continue the rally upwards. But it's just a gut feeling

So far, silver is staying strong just above 31. I really expected to see it brought back to 30.50 at least.

So far, silver is staying strong just above 31. I really expected to see it brought back to 30.50 at least.

Seems like it could happen overnight. It could be even more during the london session tomorrow. We already had quite a move from 31.2 to 30.6 during globex (1:30 pm - 5:15 pm et) trading today.

Woohoo... still rocking over 30.70 this morning (so far anyway)...

opex is coming up on Tuesday (Nov 27th). December is a HUGE delivery month. Friday's surge in pms could be related to opex. Remember, he options underwriters need a round number come Tuesday, so it's either 34 / 33.5 / 33 for silver. If a price attack were to be launched, it should happen tomorrow, maybe even beginning tonight once Globex opens at 6pm ET. The price management usually gets done the day before opex. It doubt we'll get a big move, though. Friday was probably already the management day.

COMEX closing bell is 1:25 pm ET for silver. Clearly somebody needed a close below 34.

today's opex target for silver was 30, trading at 29.99. Achieved with precision.
This should mean a good upday tomorrow, but we'll see.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…