Snow plowing the right way

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

morning
Benefactor
Reaction score
***Note: Original vid was pulled (don'tcha just hate that) so I found a better one.

Last edited:
All that fuel used up. Why not just get a flame thrower and melt it away and down the drain.

Sped up, of course, but that's excusable.

I've done my time moving snow...I was general-labor and garbage detail (winters) at the little town in NY State that I lived in...but we didn't have equipment like that. Some wasn't available - there weren't skid-steers or mini-crawl-tractors like that, in the mid-1970s. It's only been recently that I've seen road-graders outfitted with such elaborate snow plows as that - although I had seen a cough-remedy commercial from the mid-'70s that had the poor sufferer on the snow detail with a road grader, so I guess some departments did that.

We didn't have a grader, ,though. We had one major road through town that was a State highway, and the NYDOT crews took care of it. Our streets were all narrow side streets - we had two 4x4 pickups, a Chevrolet C60 dump truck with a plow (but not front-axle drive; we'd chain up the rear duals) and a 1958 Oshkosh all-wheel-drive dump. It had a huge plow, not a wing plow, and also a vee-plow that could be fitted in emergencies.

Nope, no rotaries. The State had them but didn't like to use them - they required a two-man crew. Wing plows on a truck, could be run with a single man, so the rotaries only came out in snow emergencies.

But...I was a sometimes driver of the C60...and, here's a secret. Unless you need momentum to get through a drift, you do NOT want to be going fast. Ten mile an hour is fine. Fast means, if you snag a manhole cover, you might just peel it off. lid and mortared-in ring, all in one. And if it's hard-packed snow or frozen slush, you might not even feel it.

If you slide sideways into a parked car at ten miles an hour, the damage might not be much. At 25, it will be considerable - and you might be liberated of your employment.

Amazing, how technology has moved ahead...even as the backwards Greens keep trying to shove us into pre-industrial times...

Rotaries, or even plow blades, weren't available for loaders, either.

Although we did us a loader to clear the deep January snow off the corners of intersections...scoop it up and load it onto 2.5-ton stake-dump trucks, take it out of town...

Original vid was pulled. New one is much better.

Back
Top Bottom