social security numbers

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

dali lambone

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
Any of you stateside guys out there avoid getting a social security number for yourself or your child? I'm still looking to see what kind of hang-ups people have run into not having one. As I've mentioned in a different thread, I'm considering the implications of not getting one for my little one who is still in the oven.

I am not sure how that would benefit your kids. Unless you plan on moving overseas...

I don't know what benefits may come of it either. I'd like to think that it doesn't commit them to paying for social security benefits for all their working years. As I said, I'm exploring it as an option, maybe it's my own little way of thumbing my nose at "the system". Why not look into it?

You can't do anything official these days without one. They have us by the "snarglies" on that.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10023.html#a0=0

You need a Social Security number to claim your child as a dependent on your income tax return. Your child also may need a number if you plan to:
•Open a bank account for the child;
•Buy savings bonds for the child;
•Obtain medical coverage for the child; or
•Apply for government services for the child.

Thats from the website, there is also a lot of other information on the website. IMO it would be too much of a hassel not to have one, and later down the road you will probably cause a great deal of frustration for your child if they don't have a social.

I'd be interested in how one cancels their number in Canada.

Apart from dying, that is.

You won't be able to claim them as a dependent in America without one. My girlfriend literally had issues with this so it is for real.

You can have an SS number, yet not buy into the SS system. Actually, you can opt out. They make it difficult to find out how, and once found, to actually do - lots of paperwork, sworn stuff and so on. But I've known a couple of people who have. You then don't pay the SS in - but have sworn never to need anything back as well.

I did not know that DCFusor!

In my case it does not matter. I only worked for private employers for about 2 and 1/2 years, and am NOT about to go to "work" again for others (and so would be able to qualify for Social Security, I would need to work about two years more). I also put in 2 and 1/2 years with .gov, but took my pension out in cash when I quit.

dali_l, if you are planning a "normal" life here in America for your coming child, it looks like you should go ahead and get the d**n SS number...

DoChen,
When I spent a year on Ascension Island az long time ago, I did not have to pay federal taxes, SSI, Medicare or anything else because I spent the entire year in a foreign country. Same thing when I spent time on Antigua than transferred to Diego Garcia to TDY with some other enviro guys on a soil remediation gig. Although they took it out of my check, when I filed in March or April, I got a huge ass check on both occasions.

Back
Top Bottom