Solar home

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Brian Edwards

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
Solar panels are now a global product.what you probably really need to know is how much it will cost you to actually go solar. And a related question would be how much you will save in the long run.
I was able to save a large amount of money using *******. They got me the best solar installers in my area to give me free quotes. It was quick and easy, If your looking to see if solar is right or your property, here's their website: *******

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting site.

In my state, Florida, there are numerous incentives to use solar power, however the local governments are highly resistant to it. Usually the amount of resistance is in direct proportion to the value of other homes in the area. For instance, in my neighborhood, there is very little, yet over on the beach they actually lobby quite hard to make it nearly impossible to install. The NIMBY crowd is strong there.

In addition, county ordinances requiring licensed installers, FPL mandated inspections both pre and post installation, a licensed PE hgas to submit the rack design, do wind load calcs etc. to be submitted for review. If during any step of the process you flounder a little bit, your application is summarily denied and you have to go back to ground zero again.

I came across twenty beautiful solar panels at a facility I demolished for a government agency. to this day they sit in the darkness of my shed producing nothing, simply because the county requirements are not affordable.

Are you allowed to 'store' them outside, on the ground, Ancona ?

Here in blighty they dont seem to care so much about ground based arrays.
Their main concern is the box ticking to qualify for the Feed In Tariff , a gov bribe for fitting solar and connecting to the grid.
By the time you pay the qualified installers ( who have to give a lot of your money to the gov to remain approved ) it bumps the costs about 50% and needs a 10 year guaranteed subsidy to stack up.
Now if Fusor is right, those popular Chinese panels will destroy themselves before then, as thermal stresses break down the layers.

Anyone happy to use the power generated without any grid connection is free to play though.

These panels are [were] state-of-the-art solar panels constructed specially to support the Mars BHabitat that was constructed and actually lived in, at Johnson Space Center. The panels were built at Sandia National Laboratory, so it is my very strong feeling that these are indeed the highest quality panels available. I keep them in the dark so they do not break down.

In 7 years we will have our house paid off, and 2 years after that our youngest will graduate H.S. and that's when we plan moving out of what used to be a nice quiet middle size town out to either our BOL or a small town nearer our BOL. If we do build from start we'd like to build something like an ecohouse on it. Hopefully in that time the prices for solar panels will be at least a bit cheaper, along with cheaper batteries, but I am doubtful on the batteries part. I don't know how feasible the geo-thermal would be where we would build, but definitely the solar and wind power sources would be a must. I like seeing the different designs and ideas people have for theirs and what they like/don't like and why. I know a lot of them I see are built in much warmer climates so some of their concerns are different than mine will be, but it's still nice to see all the options and ideas for me to dream about for the next 7 years.

What happened to the link? Can someone PM me the link?

Last edited:
Down in BSTS there is an extensive thread dedicated to self reliance. I recall posting several times with multiple links pointing toward renewable resources. I'll see if I can find the thread and bump it up.

Back
Top Bottom