Storing Coins

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

FPrice

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
Is there any problem with storing coins stacked in those plastic tubes they are often shipped in?

It doesn't seem like it to me since they are nested and protected from human hands and other environmental affects. But as I grow older I know the most important thing you should know - that you DON'T know everything and it's often better to ask before rather than after.

Thanks.

:paperbag:

You have not told us enough to answer your question. It all depends on the quality of the coins that you want to store. Like what kind of coins are you talking about? Mint state? Junk? Somewhere in between?

They are the standard (?) new silver coins (ASE's, Maple Leafs, 1 oz Buffalo rounds), generally from Aydin, that come in foam jackets usually. Sometimes if I order enough, they come already stacked in these plastic tubes.

I am slowly getting to the point where I have enough that I need to re-think my storage options and plans.

I store coins/rounds in mint tubes and in the (1 or 2 coin) plastic sleeves. There shouldn't be an issue unless you are storing them someplace really hot (attic perhaps) to where the plastic could melt.

After reading several of his comments, I think he is here to promote a gold backed cryptocoin. And yes, Christian, I prefer physical metal.

Protected from abrasion and human contact in tubes yes.
In flips not so much, as more surface contact probable.
Environmental effect will readily appear in flips & tubes - toning.
This toning shows where an exchange of atmosphere occurs.
Even never opened Monster Boxes of SAE will show such after several years.

In order to reduce/eliminate toning, temperature control and vacuum sealed would be necessary.
From mints like Canada & Rwanda(Germany)sealed sheets do not tone.
So far these Lunar and Panda Privy series have not, look online.
2016 CDN 5 Blessings silver in sheets no tone European Mint.
My NWTM sealed 1,5, & 10 oz silver bars which have maintained the seal have not toned. The ones which showed breaches(improper cuts) in seal in 2009...
Wow toned where seal damaged.
Sheets for sale on eBad; CDN, Rwanda, China, etc 5-7 years old look new, no tone.
All of my metals are not in temperature controlled storage; the boat sank.
But are wrapped, tubed, ziploc bagged, & sealed box to reduce exchange.

Resale, on ten year old SAE tubes, sealed boxes, singles, etc is slow and low priced. The premium appears to be unavailable to small sellers. APMEX will buy at spot 2009 monster box, and sell with $6 +- premium. Therefore sealing Maples, SAE, & rounds, no profit gain long term.
Purchasing vacuum sealed from mint or dealer worth it... to an extent... if there is a numismatic bullion profile, Perth Mint, Rwanda, China Pandas, Libertads, Somalia Elephants etc, yes.
SAE's and Maples do not, and will not. Especially with market in hibernation.
So double ziploc and sealed container(glass does not breath, plastic does) any tube or flips you wish to have minimal toning. Vacuum seal 2x any you must or wish to protect.

I enjoy toning by placing on upper window sill in kitchen. Every time one cooks onions, sulfur is released and toning grows. Right now toning (5) 2015 1 oz Libertads. Takes 6 -8 months for golden centers, rainbow rims, and dark edges.
One must roll down the sill, flip and roll back on order to capture uniformly.
These are not mint, show hint of milk spots, so covering with gold tone and selling to tone worshippers... maybe.

To rid your silver of toning, buy E-Z-Est silver cleaner.
Follow directions, wear gloves, ready the rinse, and clean surface to place upon, and shiny returns 100%.
Great for silverware, rings(no stones) or dug silver relics and coins, like I find.
This product does not damage silver.
None the less, do not clean old numismatic coins.
I have and sold afterwards to dealer no problem or declaration of "cleaned" coin made by dealer.
Note: Do not dip silver in container, if you have dipped copper. Keep separate.

Back
Top Bottom