Terrible Collision/Crash Dallas Air Show

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

"Was that supposed to happen?" The metaverse just met reality.

I wonder if those planes carried civilians? Air shows sell tickets to ride to civilians. Prices vary depending on what seat you take.

another view closer up

another view

Here is an image of the Kingcobra that looks to have been involved:
1668356062448.png

more

Vintage military aircraft collide mid-air at Dallas air show​

In a Saturday afternoon news conference, Hank Coates, president and CEO of the Commemorative Air Force, told reporters the B-17 “normally has a crew of four to five. That was what was on the aircraft,” while the P-63 is a “single-piloted fighter type aircraft.”

“I can tell you that it was normally crewed,” Coates said. “I cannot release the number of people in the manifest or the names on the manifest until I’m released to do so by the NTSB.”

Another vid of the crash and of the planes involved prior to the crash.
May all involved rest in peace.

I'm no aviation expert, by a longshot, but I gotta question the smarts of having so many planes of differing speeds flying in such close proximity to each other.

I heard that there were only 5 flight worthy B-17's left. Now there's just four.

The guy sitting in the front gunner may have been a pay-for seat? Same with tail gunner.

I'm no aviation expert, by a longshot, but I gotta question the smarts of having so many planes of differing speeds flying in such close proximity to each other.
B17 was in the Kingcobra's blind spot.

My take on the accident was that the B17 was ahead of the Aircobra at the time of the incident and was making a right towards the Aircobra and the Aircobra was flying much faster than the B17. The Aircobra immediately before the accident was coming up from behind and was making a wide sweeping left turn when it ran into the B17.

I have no opinion as to blind spots but the B17 was definitely flying ahead of the Aircobra. If anything the Aircobra was in the blind spot of the B17 The B17 was hit directly amidships and slightly behind the wing assembly. The wing assembly was seperated in total from the aircraft and the nose assembly also was gone. While looking at the footage it appears that immediately before the accident the B17 appears to be flying low relative to the ground. To me it appears that the B17 could have been having problems. That however is up to the NTSB. It'll probably take a couple of months before the incident report is released

It's definitely a crying shame both for the personnel and equipment. There are so few of those planes left.

I was told a story of the Aircobra when it was flying combat in Guadacanal. Someone had fogotten to send oxygen parts with it and that it was underperforming in the combat theater and pulled from operations until the correct parts made into the theater. Then they were sent to Rabaul. I have no source for this except word of mouth.

It'll probably take a couple of months before the incident report is released
I've heard it takes 2 years for the NTSB to 'report'. This might happen sooner with the video evidence?

As for 'blind spots'... the Kingcobra's looks to be underneath the plane while the B17's blindspot is everything behind the cockpit. I suspect, as in any accident, the Kingcobra is at fault, i.e., "Following too close".

Either way... it's a tragedy for all concerned.

It is the fault of whoever permits that many planes to operate in that small of an area. Above people no less. These pilots at these shows portray themselves as responsible. History shows them to be reckless.

NBC News

What we know so far about the victims in the Dallas air show plane collision​

Mirna Alsharif and Courtney Brogle
Mon, November 14, 2022

All six people who died in Saturday's midair collision of two vintage aircraft at the Wings Over Dallas Airshow have been identified.

Terry Barker, Craig Hutain, Kevin Michels, Dan Ragan, Leonard Root and Curt Rowe were all members of the Commemorative Air Force, a Texas nonprofit group “dedicated to flying and restoring World War II aircraft” and the host of the air show, according to its website.

"We are heartbroken to announce that the following members of the Commemorative Air Force went west on Saturday, November 12, 2022, at the Wings Over Dallas WWII Airshow while performing," the group said in a statement.

"Please join us in mourning the loss of our good friends and fellow airmen.”

The crash occurred around 1:20 p.m. Saturday, when the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress and a Bell P-63 Kingcobra collided at the Dallas Executive Airport, according to information provided by the Federal Aviation Administration.

According to Commemorative Air Force CEO and President Hank Coates, there's a very strict process of training for volunteers, who are vetted very carefully and are mostly retired pilots.

"These are very well trained folks that have been doing it for a while," he said at a news conference on Saturday.

The Commemorative Air Force did not specify which men were on board the Flying Fortress and which of the victims were on the Kingcobra when the planes collided.

Curt Rowe​

Curt Rowe (Commemorative Air Force / via Facebook)

Curt Rowe (Commemorative Air Force / via Facebook)

Maj. Curtis J. Rowe served for more than 30 years on the Ohio Wing of the Civil Air Patrol and "volunteered as a crew member on a vintage Boeing B–17 Flying Fortress for the Commemorative Air Force where he shared his passion for flying," according to a statement from the service.

"Curt touched the lives of thousands of his fellow Civil Air Patrol members, especially when flying cadets during hundreds of orientation flights over the course of his service," said Peter K. Bowden, the commander of the Ohio Wing.

During his time with the Civil Air Patrol, Rowe "served in positions ranging from Safety Officer to Operations Officer at the squadron and wing levels, with his most current position being Ohio Wing Maintenance Officer."

continued:

Informative vid. Examines the flight path data of the planes during the show.

'Wings Over Dallas' Mid Air Collision Report​

Just over 20

Description​

B-17G and P-63 Collide at the Wings Over Dallas Air Show - A Speculative/Cursory Analysis

Animarchy History​

Views
Nov 13
Hey guys, I don't normally do this but due to all the misinformation flying around the internet right now, as well as the media as well as the public offering unprofessional, ill informed and frankly insulting analysis/opinions on the situation that I felt I had to say something

Back
Top Bottom