The State of Platinum and Palladium Mining

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Unobtanium

Big Eyed Bug
Reaction score
http://www.sprottgroup.com/thoughts/articles/the-dire-state-of-the-platinum-palladium-miners/

Some snippets:

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit stacking Pt & Pd

Being new to this I can imagine gold and silver operating as a parallel currency to fiat but I have a harder time visualizing platinum and palladium coins being as widely accepted. Not sure if having a stack of Pt and Pd would give you as many options for resale or exchange. What do you do with a bar of palladium?

They another form of diversification. If something happens in the palladium/platinum industry that causes them to skyrocket in price, even holding 5% in your portfolio would be fun for the ride.

What do you do with a bar of palladium?

During non-SHTF times, you can readily buy it and sell it at Apmex, Provident, others.

It does seem reasonable for diversification and there are potential serious shortages looming which could have a nice upside so I wouldn't rule it out (thanks for the tip). The thing about gold is that it seems so much more aesthetically pleasing to look at. I feel like if the coin thing didn't work out you could still melt it down and make a nice piece of jewelry for someone.

I like gold much better too!

More on platinum and palladium:

http://www.caseyresearch.com/articles/platinum-and-palladium-a-fundamental-shift

You know market conditions are bad when the government is talking about rescue plans:
http://www.mineweb.com/mineweb/content/en//mineweb-political-economy?oid=191828&sn=Detail

Surely got me re-thinking about my investing in platinum and palladium. This sector has had a major hit. But I’m wondering if the issues are known and tackled, then hopefully it would make a comeback.

I see two reasons to consider investing into Pt or Pd:

1) Although I doubt that there would be any kind of PM confiscation, Pt and Pd would almost surely escape that...

2) Diversification is this Bearing's middle name! Because Pt and Pd sit in niches different that gold and silver, I own a bit of each metal.

Platinum and palladium are for optimists! If the world economy does very well over the next several years (kind-of against our consensus here), then so will these two metals.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…