To get or not to get

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mymetals

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
For some reason I have been thinking to get some sort of gun. The reason I would get it is for home protection. I live in a very affluent neighborhood. Mostly empty nesters. Home invasion in the area is low or not very common compared to other part of the city.

Though I know it would not be much to invest in one, I think it would be more of a insurance policy. Hopefully I don't have to file a claim if you get my drift.

My experience with guns is almost none. When I was a kid, friend of my took me out and we shoot around squeals, birds, and Jacks with a .22 handgun and occasional 16 gauge for the hell of it.

So back to this thing, it has been playing in my head for last few weeks now. If I were to get one, what should I get. Also, if I do get one, I would eventually wants to learn to hunt with it. Would I need a handgun along with a shot gun?

Any thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Go with something light- and easy to get ammo.

Dont be real concerned with impressive capacity. For instance- for me a 45 is too big. So a 45 is of little use to me.

If you are not comfortable holding the gun- it is of no use to you.

Others may disagree with me.

how about one o these -

water-guns-transmorpher.jpg

legal in all states and yurpeen countries (-:

Home defense and hunting possibilities; shotgun!

Depending on the user size, gauges 12 or 20 are good choices.

Get a model with interchangeable barrels. 18-20 inch for home, rifled long barrel for large game, regular long barrel for taking fowl.

$.02

Bows_YouthCompoundBow_CO_013G1_D.gif

You never have to worry about bullets or shells and everyone will think you are a fan of "The Hunger Games" :grin:

@ Mymetals

That decision is complicated. If you live in a house, a shotgun might be appropriate (though a 12-gauge is a powerful gun...). If you live in an apartment/condo (like Mr. and Mrs. Bearing do), you might look at a handgun.

If you think you might ever want to take it for hunting, then think about what you would hunt and factor that into your decision (hunt birds with a shot gun, squirrels with a .22 rifle, BIG game with a bigger rifle).

I own a 9 mm Beretta and an AK-47 clone in semi-automatic (yes, DCFusor, I know I am using bad terminology, but I am using the popular terminology).

Two more things to think about:

1) Don't pick a super-powerful weapon that you will not practice with! It is always best to practice and get familiar with your gun. If your gun has an unpleasantly high recoil, you may never take it to the range...

2) Learn about your weapon! Learn to field-strip, clean and re-assemble it (pretty easy in most cases).

The above two things the gun store guys can help you with. Test fire at least a couple of weapons to get an idea of what will work for you.

Don't forget to buy LOTS of ammo! A couple of years ago, ammo became real scarce real quick!

You do not have to buy a whole lot of ammo right away, but you should try to reach at least 1000 rounds for each weapon you own (though Texas guys are gonna rag-on-my-butt for such a low quantity...). Remember that when you go to the range to practice, you will likely use between 40 and 200 rounds, depending...

Many thanks to all the inputs. They are all very helpful. Yes,even rblong2us. BTW, blong2us, I do own one of those already.

Seriously, I am a strong believer in education and knowledge. The most important for me to do before I go out and purchase one is to take a gun safety class and educated myself more on this. From there, test fire a mossberg 500 and few glocks to see how it feel.

Question: Are 12 gauge and 9mm ammos, hard to get and are they expensive?

00 Buck in 2" shells seem to run about a dollar per round/shell right now.

9mm is definitely cheaper though not back to pre-hysteria pricing.

That said, you will need to practice a heck of lot more with a 9mm to be proficient than with a 12 gauge shotgun.

I found a box of Spartan brand 00 buck for $.50/rnd recently. I haven't fired any of them, but they appear to be decent quality; made in the EU of all places.

Seems like the bullet store thread needs an update...

Are you allowed to carry a hand gun where you live? If so, then the handgun would come first since it would be more usefull. The shotgun under your bed isn't worth much when you're being mugged across town.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom