Top Accreditor of Gold Refiners (LBMA) Sued Over Alleged Human Rights Abuse

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

morning
Benefactor
Reaction score

Top accreditor of gold refiners sued over alleged human rights abuse​

Story by By Peter Hobson • 1h ago

LONDON (Reuters) -A British law firm said on Tuesday it had brought a case against the world's most important accreditor of gold refineries for renewing a refiner's certification despite alleged human rights abuses at a mine supplying it with gold.

The law firm, Leigh Day, filed the case in London's High Court against the London Bullion Market Association (LBMA), an industry body whose rules for gold refineries require that they source gold responsibly.

The firm is representing the families of two artisanal miners allegedly killed in 2019 by security personnel at the North Mara gold mine in Tanzania.

LBMA certification prohibits refiners from handling gold from sources contributing to human rights abuses, conflict, crime or environmental degradation.

Read the rest here:

Good catch, Searcher. Let me translate the bottom line:

The price of gold is going up.

Last edited:
I seem to remember seeing a similar news post from a long time ago about accusations of the LBMA sourcing gold from miners accused of human rights abuses, but am not having much luck finding it this morning.

also... updates on the Leigh Day lawsuit...

August 2023:
The legal issues raised by this case centre on whether a certification body, like the LBMA, can be held legally responsible for a flawed certification process which causes or contributes to ongoing human rights abuses.

The claim, filed in the High Court in London in December 2022, has now been served by the families of two artisanal miners. ...

More:

Forget these aholes.

I understand your sentiment, but this lawsuit and potential changes to LBMA certification processes could have an impact on global gold (mining) production, so I think it's worth keeping an eye on.

Back
Top Bottom