Tracking the eBay / 24hgold.com PM widget

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

DoChenRollingBearing

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
eBay / 24hgold.com PM Widget Tracker

Notes:

1) All premiums are truncated percentages, high precision not necessary IMO
2) I have noticed that premiums widen when PM prices go down.
3) Gold and silver prices are from 24hgold.com.
4) AGE = American Gold Eagle 1 oz, ASE = American Silver Eagle 1 oz.

First column is date (dd.mm.yy)
Second column is AGE premium over spot
Third column is ASE premium over spot
Fourth column are comments
Fifth column is spot gold price (no price captured 28 Dec)
Sixth column is spot silver price (no price captured 28 Dec)

28.12.11 * 13% * 52% * Second day of vicious takedown
29.12.11 * 17% * 74% * at approx. 1:00 AM * $1,554 * $26.95
29.12.11 * 19% * 66% * at approx. 11:00 AM * $1,530 * $26.58
29.12.11 * 16% * 115% * as of 9:00 PM, widget shows eBay/24h offer * $1,558 * $27.59

I have seen VERY HIGH premiums for ASEs to spot silver before, but not over 100%.

Formatting is bad because I tried to cut & paste MS Excel data right into here. Next time I will just post the info on a GoogleDoc spreadsheet (with link) or send the data over to MS Word and see if it comes over here looking better than the above.

RE-EDIT:

I chose AGEs and ASEs as that is what 24hgold.com actually tracks. I do understand that other 1 oz gold coins typically will be spot plus 4%, say as typical vs. an AGE of 8%.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
The link DOES work from my blog.

Anyone interested in tracking the eBay / 24hgold.com PM Widget please email me for a link to my blog.

Meanwhile, I will try to find a way to work with our Inestimable PMBug to get this info out in a more user-friendly manner.

---

Or, maybe a Cut & Paste of the below might work???

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...G5GRXpkZ3RrZTdaeGdabElJYjVIVXc&hl=en_US#gid=0

^--- THAT worked! Beats me why though!

DCRB - Not sure how you are posting the links, but every one of them seems to have an extra "http(s)//" at the beginning. I'll fix them.

The below graph is from my eBay / 24hgold.com Widget Tracker:

mkp4o.jpg

Each point in the above graph shows the price of gold vs. the AGE Premium at the time I recorded the data. This JUST shows Au price vs. AGE premium ONLY, there is no time series or anything. This DOES show one of the points I mentioned before in another thread: that the spot price of Au is STRONGLY NEGATIVELY correlated with the AGE Premium (that is, when spot price Au goes down, the Premium goes up) at -0.93. <--- That means the data form a down-sloping scatter plot that is almost a line.

I understand this is abstract, but, I am trying to learn how to use these multiple tools.

Another graph derived from the Widget Tracker:

33vfcjn.jpg

-- The left axis is Premium Percentage (over spot)
-- "Series 1" (blue diamonds) is AGE Premium over spot Au, and this DOES show this in chronological order
-- "Series 2" (red squares) is ASE Premium over spot Ag, in chronological order

Note how the ASE Premium (percentage) is ALWAYS higher than AGE Premium, and that ASE varies MORE.

Also note that I started this Widget Tracker just after they smashed the PM prices down. If you look at the second graph you can see the Premiums are higher than for more recent data. They smack down the PM prices, the retail eBay sellers try to maintain the higher price (and so higher Premium). Then after a few days the Premiums then ease back down to their more normal ranges (say 5.5% - 8.5% for gold).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom