Trick Question

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MarcLacroix

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
Hiya Fellas;
Your Mum tells me you're a Financial Analyst.
Ok so... Analyze This:
- Uncle Sam is bankrupt.
- Interest rates have been near zero for years.
- Ford and GM are downsizing again.
How long do you figure before the United States looks like Argentina or Venesuela?

Marc

Uncle Sam may not be bankrupt because he has always paid in promisary notes and theres plenty more where they came from.

When the world moves away from using the US$ then the US can start using something with recognised value for payment.

Will this be something that happens during a bank holiday weekend or will it arrive gradually ?

You just better hope there is some verifiable gold that the USGov has access to.

Mad ? Jim Willie sees an international gold backed unit of payment and a scheiss $ as an inevitable consequence of a sudden reset or a gradual shift away from foreign trade accepting US$ for payment.

How long do you figure before the United States looks like Argentina or Venesuela?

Never. USA would go full Civil War/Lord of the Flies before it would ever look like 2001 Argentina or 2018 Venezuela. You think the mentally unhealthy acting out with killing sprees is problematic now? We're just scratching the surface IMO. Rome has not yet begun to burn. Nero hasn't picked up the fiddle yet.

Hmmm

The edges fail first
The centre is shielded from the effects for as long as possible
the enforcers get paid and fed

Slowly at first then suddenly

The difference this time being the interconnectedness of everything and speed of information moverment.

How far have we got along the curve is what we debate.
Mainstream says everything is fine
ZH says its all about to fall over

While I lean towards the ZH view, I am aware that I have leaned this way since the twin towers fell and mainstream has been broadly correct ...........

Sorry N00b;
I don't share your optimism.
The Titanic was deemed unsinkable... For a while anyway. :)

Marc

Can we separate 'the economy' from the $dollar ?

I reckon the economy will always be there as its based on human endeavour.
The means of exchange can be decided by the person with the biggest stick and most will probably fall into line because they want /need the results of 'the economy'.

Argentina and Venezuela would seem to be failed states attempting to function in a $USD environment.

Can we separate 'the economy' from the $dollar ?

While they are separate things, they are dependent upon each other. If one crashes, the other will too. I'll even grant you that "the economy" could mean either the USA domestic economy or the global economy as a whole.

Seems that TarriffTalk rattled some cages. :)
I had sold half of my PSLV shares on Thursday at $6.23/sh.
Then the metals got whacked on Friday and I bought the shares back at $6.04.

Back
Top Bottom