True Value of Gold

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pip1984

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
Given that the true value of gold/silver should be measured in the tangible assets it can buy (how many houses, barrels of oil, Ferrari's etc.) and not just the fiat dollar value spot price, do you think it would be of value to have a website/app which would display live quantities (or fractions) of how much an ounce of gold/silver would currently buy, along with historical graphs, trends etc.?

Theres quite a lot of speculation regarding the yuan/ gold link that is about to impact.
I suspect the controllers will have been thinking fairly hard about how they can counter it.

I guess future gold promises might work :flushed:

Thanks for the feedback and the web link. I'm aware there are various sources out there to plot different historical ratios. What I'm envisioning is more like the NYSE for gold/silver valuations that tracks in real time and also provides historical data in graphical form, with a ticker along the top etc. Oil is important for sure, but what about the ratio to houses, RV's, coffee, an acre of land in Idaho etc.

I guess I'm just looking to try and take fiat out of the equation and have some other measures with which to track the valuation of gold/silver at today's levels. Could also serve as a usual investing tool to spot trends etc.

Thoughts? If it already exists, great I'll just use it!

The issue I would have with attempts to chart gold versus real estate is that real estate value ($/sq. ft) is not consistent across the country (much less even within just the city in which I live) or across time. Would the chart be reflecting a difference in the relative value of gold to real estate, or a fluctuation of the real estate itself (relative to other real estate in the area)?

A chart comparing gold to other commodities (like coffee) would not have that issue, but I'm not a commodities trader, so it's not something I really pay attention to.

Oil is probably the only measuring stick of the ones you mentioned that I personally would find interesting to watch.

No doubt for me the best investment is in gold, its value is tangible, it does not corrode and it is not devalued either, but the most important thing is to know with what currency you can buy, I have read about a cryptocurrency that allows you to buy of the precious metal.

Back
Top Bottom