Dead: Tulving

No longer in business

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

1.00 star(s)
1 Rating - Raters

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States

Tulving is a bit different from most online dealers. They do not offer a shopping cart for online shopping. They list their prices and you have to call them on the phone to place an order.

Tulving is not known for gladhandling customers. When you call them, you better know exactly what you want. This is a no-nonsense outfit and they can be rude to n00bs who waste their time.

That said, Tulving consistently offers the lowest premiums on bullion available online. The catch? You have to buy in quantity. Tulving has hefty minimum purchase requirements (gold - 20 ounces, silver - 500 ounces).

Tulving only accepts payment by bank wire. They do have a fantastic reputation for customer service in shipping and handling once a sale is locked in.

I am in agreement with PMBug on Tulving.

While I had heard some reports that Hans at Tulving was rather gruff, he was quite friendly over the phone when I placed an order some time ago.

But please do settle in your mind what you want before you call, as PMBug says. Hans does not give out metals advice, he simple sells at a terrific price, with very responsive shipping after the deal.

I made one purchase from him, and while not a customer pleaser,at least tolerable.
I would not do business with him again, nor would I if I had done a BBB check on Tulving first.
I did after I had ordered and sent funds,and was on pins and needles the entire time.( this is my opinion, and fwiw).
Also 500oz, and 20oz quanities are INHO too much.Reason, Dollar cost averaging.

i used several times. no issues so far. was very happy with the experience. all the stuff was brand new nicely packaged and arrived on time. i read a bunch of complaints so was worried but worked out well. sometimes i feel like reading internet complaints is like listening to poker bad beat stories.

I read that Tulving was slow on delivery about a week back,nothing has been updated since.
disclaimer:I've never dealt with Tulving even though I'm considering it.
I check his site as it gives a perspective into the physical mkt,for me at least.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

Tulving having issues??

I was thinking about ordering from Tulving before coming across a couple of things. For one thing there is a website gold dealer review with tons and I mean tons of bad reviews about Tulving taking long delivery times. It can be found here:

http://golddealerreviews.com/reviews/gold-dealers/3-tulving

Then I found out that Tulving actually went bankrupt in 1991 leaving hundreds of customers out of luck and owing everyone I think in the article he owed 3 million dollars and only had $100,000 of assets. I guess I wont be ordering from them anyone order recently?

Article about the bankruptcy:

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-01-16/business/fi-266_1_coin-dealers

From what I remember around here and other forums, Tulving is a dick but his prices are awesome.

As far as delivery delays, yes he does and they do arrive.

I'm sure others with first hand experience can elaborate.

-Q

PRICE

QUALITY

SERVICE

Pick any TWO, you CANNOT have all THREE!

So, based on what I read about Tulving, this is what you get by dealing with him:

PRICE - FANTASTIC

QUALITY - Apparently good

SERVICE - SUCKS BIG TIME

So if you are looking for PRICE breaks, you are giving up SERVICE when dealing with Tulving.

PRICE

QUALITY

SERVICE

Pick any TWO, you CANNOT have all THREE!

So, based on what I read about Tulving, this is what you get by dealing with him:

PRICE - FANTASTIC

QUALITY - Apparently good

SERVICE - SUCKS BIG TIME

So if you are looking for PRICE breaks, you are giving up SERVICE when dealing with Tulving.

Yeah that is true it seems like no one can come through on all 3. Honestly though after reading about him going bankrupt and leaving many customers hanging in the 90's I would not send him $11,000 for a box of eagles especially because it seems like he is having cash flow problems which I can imagine you have to have a lot of cash to run a PM business.

I have to agree with some of you above. If I send a Dealer my money, I want my PMs!

I do understand that supplies are tight, and that many are slow in delivering now. But, with Tulving, ahhh, I think I will just stay with my LCS.

I did have a good experience with MONEX a few years ago (10 oz of platinum), FWIW. Other than MONEX, I have bought EVERY oz from an LCS wherever I happened to be.

Funny, that was always one of the places I would often hear people say was one of the "trusted" internet sites. Unfortunately for me there is only 1 LCS in my town, and it's family owned, and depending on who is at the counter determines what kind of customer service you get, and the premiums charged.

Wow, did you read any of the comments people made below that article?

"Gary Jordan · Top Commenter · North Georgia Technical College
Commodity investors deserve to lose out. They have ruin the country the last 5 year and drove prices up on everything."

"Mike Masterson · Top Commenter
I believe that gold hoarding is a major form of greed. Gold is a vitally important metal in making electronics reliable. When you make switches, connectors and other components out of gold, they last many times longer and the reliability goes way up. When people hoard a vast majority of the worlds gold in their safes, then it isn't available to be used in industry. I have had electrical components fail in airplanes; (radios and navigation equipment) many times because things that should have been made of gold, were made of copper and they failed. I even had a transponder catch fire. It is maddening because I know that the gold I needed in the electronics were locked up in some greedy person's safe. Consequently I have little sympathy for the gold hoarders who feel they got burned. Greedy people got burned by a greedy dealer. Makes me sick."

"Gary Jordan · Top Commenter · North Georgia Technical College
Commodity investors deserve to lose out. They have ruin the country the last 5 year and drove prices up on everything."

"Mike Masterson · Top Commenter
I believe that gold hoarding is a major form of greed. Gold is a vitally important metal in making electronics reliable. When you make switches, connectors and other components out of gold, they last many times longer and the reliability goes way up. When people hoard a vast majority of the worlds gold in their safes, then it isn't available to be used in industry. I have had electrical components fail in airplanes; (radios and navigation equipment) many times because things that should have been made of gold, were made of copper and they failed. I even had a transponder catch fire. It is maddening because I know that the gold I needed in the electronics were locked up in some greedy person's safe. Consequently I have little sympathy for the gold hoarders who feel they got burned. Greedy people got burned by a greedy dealer. Makes me sick."

There is only one word for filth like this - BULLSHIT.

I merged the two separate threads about Tulving with the review thread. Thanks everyone for the updates.

So they are out of business? Their website is still up...

There is only one word for filth like this - BULLSHIT.

Saddest of all the one that says he's a college student has the worst spelling/grammar of all of them. While we all make typos and have our little idiosyncrasies, his post sounded like a mildly retarded, english as a second language, 6th grade educated wanna be intellectual.$.02

It's a press release, you can re-post it:
Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
Western District of North Carolina​
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, February 18, 2016​
Federal Judge Sentences Coin And Precious Metals Dealer And His Company For Defrauding Over 380 Customers Nationwide

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – A coin and precious metals dealer and his company responsible for defrauding more than 380 customers of over $15 million were sentenced in federal court late Wednesday, February 17, 2016, announced Jill Westmoreland Rose, U.S. Attorney for the Western District of North Carolina. U.S. District Judge Max O. Cogburn, Jr. sentenced Hannes Tulving, Jr., 60, of Newport Beach, California to 30 months in prison and three years of supervised release. The company was ordered to pay a $10 million fine and was placed on a probationary period of two years. Judge Cogburn reserved his ruling on the amount of restitution owed by Tulving and the company for 90 days.

Matthew Quinn, Assistant Special Agent in Charge of the United States Secret Service, Charlotte Field Division joins U.S. Attorney Rose in making today’s announcement.

According to the filed court documents and statements made in court, Hannes Tulving was the sole owner, shareholder and president of The Tulving Company, Inc. (Tulving Co.), a California-based business that sold coins, bullion, and other precious metals over the Internet. Court records show that from about August 2013 to January 2014, Tulving and his company executed a scheme to defraud customers nationwide by inducing them to place orders for coins and other merchandise knowing those orders could not be fulfilled. Court records show that the customers paid for the merchandise expecting their orders to be delivered within a certain time frame as advertised on the company’s website.

Court documents show that Tulving and his company accepted the customers’ payments but failed to deliver some of the merchandise. Instead, they diverted the customers’ payments to fulfill other customers’ orders, to pay company debts and to return the money to previous customers who did not receive their merchandise. According to court documents filed in the case, the defendants defrauded more than 380 victims nationwide of over $15 million. Hannes Tulving and the Tulving Co. each pleaded guilty to one count of wire fraud in August 2015.

In handing down Tulving’s sentence, Judge Cogburn noted what a staggering amount of money was stolen from the victims in such a short period of time. He also noted the seriousness of the offense and said that, “People were seriously harmed and their lives are affected. These people saved up money and they were hurt.”

Hannes Tulving will be ordered to report to the Federal Bureau of Prisons upon designation of a federal facility. All federal sentences are served without the possibility of parole.

The U.S. Secret Service handled the investigation. Assistant U.S. Attorney Kevin Zolot prosecuted this case.

Rating:   1.00 star(s)
They are dead. Not much else to say.

They are dead. Not much else to say.
this thread brought up some memories.........used to buy from Tulving.....luckily did not get caught up in his problems .....but its a good example of what to watch for in a dealer before they go under

Also, back in the day Tulving slabbed his own coins which you'd think would raise eyebrows, but apparently he was a skilled and accurate coin grader.

Had a large order in with tulving prior to the 2011 run up.. a number of boxes of sunshine singles and 90% bags. Order lingered and finally I got him on the phone and demanded delivery... 4 days later all showed up at once, delivery guy was really mad due to weight. Anyway half of the sunshines came as 1/2 ounce coins the rest silver eagles. The bags of quarters were replaced 1/3 with 90% dimes and the rest kennedy halves... exactly the right amount of ounces, he just shipped what he had, probably from someone else's order...

Back
Top Bottom