United States v. Chatrie - geofence warrants and the Fourth Amendment

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score

More:

Maybe I'm the only one, but they never said what a geofence warrant is....

A geo-fence warrant (also known as a geofence warrant or a reverse location warrant) is a search warrant issued by a court to allow law enforcement to search a database to find all active mobile devices within a particular geo-fence area. Courts have granted law enforcement geo-fence warrants to obtain information from databases such as Google's Sensorvault, which collects users' historical geolocation data.[1][2] Geo-fence warrants are a part of a category of warrants known as reverse search warrants.[3]

I guess publicity of the issue has impacted Google's braintrust:
... Google will no longer keep location history even for the users who opted in to have it turned on. Instead, the location history will only be kept on the user's phone.

Google won't collect the data, so they can't be compelled to obey geofence warrants. Changes to roll out through next year for Android devices.

Number 6: Where am I?

Number 2: In the Village.

Number 6: What do you want?

Number 2: Information.

Number 6: Whose side are you on?

Number 2: That would be telling. We want information... information... information.

Number 6: You won't get it.

Number 2: By hook or by crook, we will.

Epic.org isn't letting Google off the hook:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…