US dollar scarcity threatens Bolivia’s ‘economic miracle’

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

night scene
Benefactor
Reaction score

US dollar scarcity threatens Bolivia’s ‘economic miracle’​

By CARLOS VALDEZApril 15, 2023

LA PAZ, Bolivia (AP) — Sofia Andrade, a lawyer, chose over the past month to withdraw all her dollar savings from the bank as the US currency became scarce on the streets of Bolivia.

“I prefer to have them at home,” she said. “I fear they won’t let me withdraw them later.”

Like her, many Bolivians are withdrawing their dollar deposits or rushing to buy the US currency amid increased concern about Bolivia’s economic fragility, a marked change for a country that for more than a decade experienced what many called an “economic miracle” amid strong growth, record exports, low inflation, a fixed exchange rate and subsidized gasoline.

More:

Bolivian Bonds Jump After Senate Approves Bill to Monetize Gold​

• Approval is a key step to ease Bolivia’s dollar shortage
  • Opposition calls the bill a patch for Arce to remain in power
By
Sergio Mendoza
May 4, 2023 at 10:20 PM EDTUpdated onMay 5, 2023 at 9:43 AM EDT

Bolivian bonds jumped after the country’s Senate approved late Thursday a central bank bill that would allow the government to monetize its gold reserves, a key step to ease a dollar shortage and tame a growing financial crisis.

More:

Back
Top Bottom