US mint sell 8% of 2011 volume in a day

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

DSAbug

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
http://silverdoctors.blogspot.com/2012/01/us-mint-sells-32-million-silver-eagles.html
US Mint Sells 3.2 Million Silver Eagles First Business Day of 2012!!!
United States Mint logo
Did the US Mint just 'fat-finger' their Silver Eagle sales totals for the first business day of 2012!?!
On the first business day of October, we alerted readers that the US Mint sold an astounding 3/4 million ounces of silver in a single day.
Well, the US Mint shattered this total today, selling 3,197,000 Silver Eagles, nearly 10% of the 2011 record sales total of 39.8 million ON THE FIRST BUSINESS DAY OF 2012!!!
That is not a typo, you read that correctly.
The US Mint today sold 3.2 MILLION Silver Eagles, nearly the COMBINED TOTAL for all of November and December combined, and higher than ANY MONTHLY TOTAL since September 2011!
To put this number in perspective, the US Mint's Silver Eagle sales totals for the 1st business day of 2012 were 50% of the January 2011 record MONTHLY sales total of 6.4 million, and greater than the MONTLY totals for March, April, July, October, November, and December during the Mint's sales record 2011 year.
3.197 million ounces in a single day!!!!!
Apparently when Americans log into their computers after a 2-week holiday and see the price of silver in the $26-$28 range they raid the US Mint shelves (via Gainesville, APMEX, and local shops) like the gaming crowd on the first day of the Play Station 4 release!

2012 Silver Sales Totals (in ounces / number of coins) Month One
( oz. / #coins )
January 3,197,000
Total 3,197,000

Compare to 2011 Sales totals:

2011 Silver Sales Totals (in ounces / number of coins) Month One
( oz. / #coins )
January 6,422,000
February 3,240,000
March 2,767,000
April 2,819,000
May 3,653,500
June 3,402,000
July 2,968,000
August 3,679,500
September 4,460,500
October 3,064,000
November 1,384,000
December 2,009,000
Total 39,868,500

Last edited:
I saw that too DA, but Harvey Organ postulates that tehy simply rolled a bunch of December sales in to January so they wouldn't have to admit to ultra record smashing sales of silver and gold.

I for one, would not be surprised the least little bit.

I don't see the benefit to letting all these sales go off on a single day. Hell.. the 1st week had 4 million so we've already crossed the 10% mark. If sales keep up this kind of pace the physical market will start to force the paper market higher.

Either way... i'm glad i went all in.. Sometimes you just feel it's right.

Last edited:
January 2011 was the biggest month for that year, too.
Maybe people are selling their Christmas gifts for silver :silver:

January 2011 was the biggest month for that year, too.
Maybe people are selling their Christmas gifts for silver :silver:

I think it's because people want the new version of the coins.

IE.. You probably wont wait for the 2013 panda if you are looking to buy in June. Someone who is looking to buy in November probably is...

That's normal behavior IMO..

I think it's because people want the new version of the coins.

IE.. You probably wont wait for the 2013 panda if you are looking to buy in June. Someone who is looking to buy in November probably is...

That's normal behavior IMO..
I see where you´re coming from.
But shouldn´t people monitor prices first?
Coincidently, the big run from $ 20 to $ 49 had a little correction in January 2011. Maybe people were buying the dip?

I see where you´re coming from.
But shouldn´t people monitor prices first?
Coincidently, the big run from $ 20 to $ 49 had a little correction in January 2011. Maybe people were buying the dip?

There are always corrections along the way... ALWAYS... I wouldn't be surprised to see today's gap up filled at some point either.

IMO... Funds and investors in general are waiting for the dips to add. Same way I was buying when gold was down huge, other people do the same thing. Everyone has a different comfort level. Sometimes people want to see certain levels taken back on a closing basis, a higher high.. a higher low etc..

Eventually, my strategy wont work anymore. The downswings will be less violent much like how it was for people buying tech stocks back in 96-99. Eventually, it will get to that mania phase. At that point it will be very hard to be willing to let go of your gold/silver.

The big online dealers were taking pre-orders for 2012 ASEs all December (at least). I imagine they placed their orders to the US Mint on the first available business day in January commensurate with their pre-sales data. 2011 ASEs were sold out roughly in mid-December if I remember correctly.

I know that wholesalers and coin/bullion dealers that the Mint sells to get their ASE at $2 over spot. However, if Average Joe wanted to buy one ASE today it would cost him 45.95 direct from the mint. Personally, I think it is wrong that they can be allowed to charge what they do, therefore forcing us to use a 3rd party to get their product.

The big online dealers were taking pre-orders for 2012 ASEs all December (at least). I imagine they placed their orders to the US Mint on the first available business day in January commensurate with their pre-sales data. 2011 ASEs were sold out roughly in mid-December if I remember correctly.

Hit the nail on the head. I think this had the biggest part to do with it... but I feel there were also some other factors, i.e., price drop, dealers buying the dip for inventory, and probably back orders from the holidays. Even if the number is slightly inflated it's still impressive. That's a lot of monster boxes.

Maybe people are selling their Christmas gifts for silver

Execpt for a very small percent of people, the sheeple in the U.S. are more content with there iPhones, Flat Screen T.V.'s, and tablets to trade them for silver (or gold for that matter), or even consider buying silver with any cash they got as a present. But a very optimistic thought SA.

It's not joe public buying up this silver. It's people who "get it". Look at how well Ron Paul is doing in the primaries. I bet you 1/2 of those people at minimum have been actively buying gold and silver.

... Bill Haynes, President and owner of CMI Gold & Silver had this to say about the situation: ...

“I’m shocked by the demand for eagles. As an example we just had a buyer who picked up $1.5 million of one ounce silver eagles and that’s all he wanted -- the eagles. The significant thing I’m seeing here, Eric, is there is next to no selling by retail customers. It would appear the gold and silver, held by the public, is in extremely strong hands.

People who are buying these metals are buying and they are holding on. To me this is an indication we are still in the very early stages of a precious metals bull market. This is especially the case for buyers of silver eagles, they buy and they hold. They simply do not come back into the market to sell....

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldn..._Sales_Are_Exploding,_Demand_is_Shocking.html

LOL who would buy 1.5 million of 2012 american eagles? That's crazy:rotflmbo:

Back
Top Bottom