US Mint to redesign gold and silver Eagles

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
The U.S. Mint is moving ahead with plans to redesign the reverses of the silver and gold American Eagles for 2021 to accommodate the use of anti-counterfeiting technology at the production stage.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin has given the Mint the green light to replace the designs, which have appeared on the coins since their release in 1986.

“We are planning a redesign of the American Eagle Silver and Gold coins in honor of the 35th anniversary of the American Eagle program. The details of this redesign will be announced in the near future. There is currently no plan to redesign the American Eagle platinum or palladium coins,” said Todd Martin, acting chief for the Mint’s Office of Corporate Communications.

The redesigned reverses will be introduced first on bullion releases dated 2021. The anti-counterfeiting measures will be introduced later on the Proof and other collector versions.

More: https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...er-american-eagles-implement-security-devices

Chinese counterfeits are becoming a real problem. I'm glad to see the US Mint following the Royal Canadian Mint's footsteps.

So now the premiums on the 2020 eagles will be higher cause it will be the last year for that design, then of course the 2021 eagles are a brand new design, so higher premiums for those, then after everyone is used to paying higher premiums for new silver so they'll just keep them high. They do the same shit here with EVERY sales tax since I was a kid. They say it will be "temporary" & that after X is paid off in 5 years that tax will go away. Well then in 5 years they find some new toy they want to buy & say, well, we ALREADY have this tax source in place to pay for it, so let's just keep it as is. At least with high premiums I have a choice whether to pay them or not, taxes, not so much.

Higher premiums might be indicative of strong demand from collectors (numismatists). I already saw one comment on a numismatic website where someone claimed that 2021 could be an opportunity to get a rare (valuable) mistake coin as they are more commonly issued during the first pressing of a new design. I don't know if that's true or not, but I suspect that plenty of hobbyists will be buying sealed mint tubes/boxes in the hopes of finding some.

It's not clear from the article referenced in the OP is the bullion issues will contain the security features or just a new design. The way the last quoted sentence reads, it seems like the security features will be limited to the proof and collector versions. But it might just be poor wording.

Now that Coin Dealers have access to electron scanning devices that can confirm the purity of a gold coin, is it such a big deal if it was made somewhere else ?

Ok its not issued by the US Mint so its value could be just for the gold content but this is kinda what some folk are after, a way to store their hard earned ...........

The gold eagle fakes aren't solid gold. They have tungsten or other metal cores. The just have a gold veneer.

eaglereverses.jpg

On Thursday, October 1, the United States Mint unveiled new reverse designs for bullion and collectible versions of American Eagle Gold and Silver Coins. 2021 marks the 35th Anniversary of the American Eagle coin program, and the new designs will begin appearing on these coins in midyear 2021.

Back
Top Bottom