What are they going to do in a real emergency?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

they will probably (think) they are going to take your shit 'cause they need it and its theirs.

LOL, if they can't make it through a couple inches of snow and 29 degree weather, then driving a thousand + miles into feet of snow and negative temperatures (actual temps not wind chill) is pretty well out of the question. This is why it's so hard getting "prepper" groups started up here. Everyone is pretty much a prepper by necessity. If you don't have a few days food in your house and a good winter survival kit in your car you'll get weeded out in a few winters.

Turned on and logged in on a relative power hog computer just to "like" this 11.
You got it. If you live where it gets nasty now and then - you learn stuff, other people far away might think of you as a prepper when you're merely the type that is ready for what isn't all that unusual anyway.

Of course, the local cops are well, local, and just as "smart" as the bad guys? :rotflmbo:

I have to say, today I was talking to one of my pals about my own failure to follow my own plan, knowing snow was on the way, and likely to be underpredicted. I left my truck at the bottom of a rather steep slope, and after the grader came (2 days after the snow), they plowed up a 5 foot wall of compacted snow/ice I couldn't even get a shovel to go into stomping on it - I should have left it in the "upstairs" driveway, where it would have been on dry/solid and just pushed that crap outa the way.

But as I was typing - one of my neighbors - one hand washes the other - came by with a digger and plowed me out. It was so bad his 4wd/50hp brand new Ford with a blade on the back and a loader on the front couldn't get out without using the bucket to push him backwards up the driveway, inch by inch.

But we all had a great laugh (because right after that, I just drove the truck right out - right through where he had been stuck), and I got out to go get further supplies. The real power is in community, and voluntary races to see who can collect the most "good guy" points.
It was kind of fun the looks I got driving around town with a 3' deep "snow hat" on the top of my truck - it was frozen on, why do the work to get it off? Sure made the thing heavy (bed was fulla snow too), and quiet inside.

Last edited:
So down south they got a couple inches of snow, and they think it's the end of the world. What happens when things really go sideways?

http://www.infowars.com/panicked-shoppers-fight-over-food-amid-snowpocalypse/

I do love the smell of fearmongering in the morning. No, the south didn't think it was the end of the world. It was Atlanta that couldn't cope.

Recipe for disaster:
Take a city with 3 major highways intersecting in the middle of a major city
Add a roadway system that is already overtaxed by regular Tuesday traffic (the city has doubled in population twice in the past 20 years)
Sprinkle in a population that is 75% new to the area (the joke is if you have lived in Atlanta more than 10 years, you are a native)
Combine a democrat city government and republican state government (who dont communicate in the best of times)
Pour in the worst winter weather in 20 years (which is before the time of the vast majority of citizens of Atlanta)

If you go 30 miles outside of Atlanta in any direction, you will find a bunch of well prepared rednecks laughing at Atlanta and doing donuts in the snow with their four wheel drive trucks.
:cheers:

If you go 30 miles outside of Atlanta in any direction, you will find a bunch of well prepared rednecks laughing at Atlanta and doing donuts in the snow with their four wheel drive trucks.
:cheers:
"A country boy will survive"

Ha! Same here, where it was feet instead of inches. I believe it's a city vs country thing, anyway.
The less government "help" we get (due to low voter density and other factors) the more ready we tend to be on a personal level. Those dependent on .gov for everything have more critical paths to failure...a topic that comes up a lot here in various forms.

Hey, the forces that drive the jet stream work kinda like pushing on a string. The BBC had a nice story on that with some cool animations. Looks like we can expect some of this "unusual weather" to become usual. Let us hope the gulf stream is not going to ape the same behavior. Lots more power in that one, being water instead of air.

My first reaction is that no matter the change, the Earth has a lot of inertia, so I went looking for who got the other side of the coin. So far, some places on the other side of the equator, and California.

Y'all gardeners and soon to be gardeners take note - crops from CA are going to be scarce for awhile, and prices will be going up - time to think about being more ready on your own in that set of endeavors.

Due to a second-order effect (corn prices going way up awhile back and people selling herds they couldn't afford to feed, early), beef is also on the rise - it takes a long time to build a herd back up after a major selloff (which didn't affect store prices downwards much, even though there was a lot more meat on the market than usual last and this year and wholesale prices were down - the usual ratchet effect in the place most of the markup occurs - retail).

For once i can make a prediction I'm pretty sure about. Food's going up in price faster than is normal. Bullish if you have your own supply, or the means to create it. More work, but it's generally better quality anyway.

Hey, he didn't cancel it - he just gave the local boys a bit more time so their women wouldn't strangle them...a true public service if you ask me. :pffftt:

You mean like this Sheriff outside Atlanta who cancelled Valentines day?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/14/georgia-sheriff-cancels-valentine-day-due-to-bad-weather/

I've been to GA and TX in winter times, and they don't handle anything below 40 degrees well. I was never there when they got snow, but there for a light freezing rain in both places and they thought it was the end of days.

I actually know that sheriff from another forum. That was just a very tongue in cheek way of urging people to not drive on icy roads. Some how it blew up into national news.
:shrug:

You mean like this Sheriff outside Atlanta who cancelled Valentines day?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/14/georgia-sheriff-cancels-valentine-day-due-to-bad-weather/

I've been to GA and TX in winter times, and they don't handle anything below 40 degrees well. I was never there when they got snow, but there for a light freezing rain in both places and they thought it was the end of days.

I'm in Central Texas, and every time it freezes the people in this small town go nuts. Its like they remember last winter when it froze and they had to eat their pets and children....

Back
Top Bottom