What, if any, role should government play in stifling or fostering disruptive technologies?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
This is not a red v blue question. This is a philosophical question about the proper role of government.

There are some markets where we see the effects of technology evolving over time:
  • Music industry - 8 track, cassette/LP, CD, MP3 - My understanding is that the internet and MP3 technology has disrupted the modern music industry model of labels-radio controlling everything.
  • Video - From VCRs to DVRs to streaming, Network tv to cable channels, the delivery and consumption of video media has changed a lot in recent years.
I'm sure if I spent more time noodling it, I could come up with more examples, but these are examples of tech that evolved over time.

Wikipedia describes disruptive technology as one that dramatically transforms (or revolutionizes) a certain industry:

There are some examples of technology that are being developed right now that have the potential to disrupt existing, entrenched industries/markets:
  • Clean energy - from power generation and storage to the auto industry, government is currently subsidizing (fostering) growth of green energy technologies
  • Crypto - as a potential competitor for banking and financial services (TradFi), crypto (DeFi) is currently struggling with government efforts to stifle growth
  • Artificial Intelligence (AI) - This one seems to have gotten out in front of government for the moment, but government is looking to put a yoke on it
Should government be intervening in markets and picking winners and losers?

Back
Top Bottom