What Would You Buy?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Goldhedge

GIM2 Refugee
Reaction score
Junk silver dimes, quarters, halves, or dollars??

Which one wears best?

I’m thinking dimes suffer the most wear.

Also, who has the best prices?

Got a friend who is interested.

I understand the point that halves likely circulated a lot less than the others, but when it comes right down to it, I don't know that one denomination is "better" than the other.

Since we're speaking about "better", I've always considered junk silver to be the "better" alternative to fractional gold.

Although I have nothing against 1/10 ounce gold

GH,
Funny story... twenty five years ago, the guy who owned my barber shop would get twenty rolls of halves every morning around 9:15. He would spend every extra moment searching for stray halves. By working between 7 different banks he slowly converted wages into junk bags. He died last year and the rumor is that he had saved 40k face sorting and rolling...

Because the halves generally have less wear, they can command a slight premium over dimes and quarters.

I was under the impression that when selling any junk the buyer (store) would weigh what you had and pay according to weight, not per coin...

Dimes are kind of a pain in the butt to count, and along with quarters have gone through the most vending machines.
Halves & dollars have held up the best, but dollars are more expensive due to the coolness factor.

I like Franklin halves mostly because they are easily recognized as being different by the common folks out there..... Dimes are so small they're dumb LOL.

Take a pile of each to your friend and let them decide.

Dimes are kind of a pain in the butt to count, and along with quarters have gone through the most vending machines.
Halves & dollars have held up the best, but dollars are more expensive due to the coolness factor.

You also get more silver in a dollar (0.7735 when freshly minted versus 0.723 per $1 face for dimes/quarters/halves).

Gainesville seems to have a better price, but delay in shipping which can be questionable. Some is in stock and available for pick up.
If I could afford them, I’d buy halves.
Have you considered modern 90% silver for your friend? It’s shinier and whole. It’s also cheaper than the older junk.

Didn't know about modern junk... 1964? or is there a new kid on the block?

I think he is referring to 90% silver proofs. I believe they made these for the state quarters program and the programs after it. I have seen them at coin shows at the same price as 1964 and earlier quarters.

Didn't know about modern junk... 1964? or is there a new kid on the block?
All these modern silver proof sets that were collectible have dropped down to cheaper than junk silver price. The ones with state quarters, ATB quarters and such. Most have five quarters, a half and a dime. On ebay with a cc, they come to about 20x face.

I've been holding onto all (halves, quarters, and dimes but not forgetting the silver dollar coins). I bought some quarters and dimes a number of years ago and still am holding onto them. Haven't bought some in awhile now, but might in the future. maybe.

Junk silver dimes, quarters, halves, or dollars??

Which one wears best?

I’m thinking dimes suffer the most wear.

Also, who has the best prices?

Got a friend who is interested.

1964 Kennedy's at spot.

OR

Some nice top shelf sterling flatware at spot - you can use it to eat with and it's the lowest premium silver becuase people have an irrational aversion to it - plus it's getting melted by the ton and you won't be able to find some of the nicer patterns in the near future. They're already starting to dry up.

Some nice top shelf sterling flatware at spot - you can use it to eat with and it's the lowest premium silver becuase people have an irrational aversion to it - plus it's getting melted by the ton and you won't be able to find some of the nicer patterns in the near future. They're already starting to dry up.
I’d like some. Got any pointers or links?

I’d like some. Got any pointers or links?
Unfortunately, the only way I know of is to build a relationship with your LCS. Those are the guys that can sell you the good stuff for melt. There's always a pretty big premium on eBay. Craigslist you take what you can get and it's rarely top shelf.

The next time you go to your LCS, ask them if they have any sterling for sale. It will cost you thousands but you'll be adding a lot of USEABLE silver to your stack. I'm very hesitant to give any advice for new sterling buyers because I don't want to add any competetion but I can't buy it all I suppose.

Also, familiarize yourself with some of the better manufacturers such as Towle, Gorham, Reed and Barton, Birks, Alvin and Wallce to name a few.

Reluctant to purchase PM's on ebay

Same and for a few reasons:
1) Taxes are automatically charged - at coin shows, the price is all-in
2) Shipping charges
3) Fakes - I got burned on a Trade Dollar purchase years ago
4) Too impatient to wait for delivery
5) Prefer to be more anonymous with these types of purchases so cash and carry at the LCS or coin show is how I roll

As far as what to buy...I go with whatever the cheapest option is at the coin show. One dealer may have it for 22x for halves, while another may have a price of 23x for dimes and quarters. I will go with the 22x even if I have hit my stacking goal for half dollars and haven't for the dimes/quarters. At the end of the day, it's a good idea to have some diversification in your holdings, while still looking for the best deals.

As far as what to buy...I go with whatever the cheapest option is at the coin show. One dealer may have it for 22x for halves, while another may have a price of 23x for dimes and quarters. I will go with the 22x even if I have hit my stacking goal for half dollars and haven't for the dimes/quarters. At the end of the day, it's a good idea to have some diversification in your holdings, while still looking for the best deals.
if one could buy sterling at melt or just below, why would anyone not buy it?

i see no reason not to buy it....but i would want it discounted because melters discount it and its harder to use in barter or common person to person pm trading .....but silver is silver

They pay way under melt for sterling scrap.
That's why you should buy it. TODAY, people will sell it for under melt which means you can buy it for under melt or right at melt. Warren Buffet has an interesting strategy with buying and selling - something like "don't follow the crowd".

in 2019, no one wanted 90% and I could and did buy all I could for melt or slighty under. Not possible today. Sterling flatware and hollowware will be right there too. don't get caught in the irrationality around flatware. It is the cheapest silver for no rational reason.

I have zero interest in it. I want silver that is easily recognized and of standard weights versus flatware/holloware that are all over the place. I like bars, rounds, and coins. Spoons, forks, knife handles, and candlestick holders just don't do anything for me.

This guy doesnt know what he's talking about.

I am not surprised you would say this. You have been talking about sterling silver going back to the GIM2 (and maybe earlier) days and it seems like you're trying to convince the rest of us as a way to justify your own stacking desires. If you like sterling, that's fine stack it to the moon. It's not for everyone. It's great that you're taking a contrarian view, but I haven't seen a single argument from you that makes me even want to consider making sterling flatware or holloware as part of my regular stacking practices. Just because you can get it below or near spot is not good enough.

I don't stack ASEs, war nickels, 40%, or other collectible type bullion. As mentioned before, 90% and the 1-oz to 10-oz bars/rounds are what I like. I don't want to have to get out a loupe or try to determine if it's actual sterling or plated. Don't have the time nor the interest in that. I would rather pay premiums for the items that I like to stack and for items I know are going to be more widely recognized and accepted should the need arise to barter.

I am not surprised you would say this. You have been talking about sterling silver going back to the GIM2 (and maybe earlier) days and it seems like you're trying to convince the rest of us as a way to justify your own stacking desires. If you like sterling, that's fine stack it to the moon. It's not for everyone. It's great that you're taking a contrarian view, but I haven't seen a single argument from you that makes me even want to consider making sterling flatware or holloware as part of my regular stacking practices. Just because you can get it below or near spot is not good enough.

I don't stack ASEs, war nickels, 40%, or other collectible type bullion. As mentioned before, 90% and the 1-oz to 10-oz bars/rounds are what I like. I don't want to have to get out a loupe or try to determine if it's actual sterling or plated. Don't have the time nor the interest in that. I would rather pay premiums for the items that I like to stack and for items I know are going to be more widely recognized and accepted should the need arise to barter.
didnt I say if you stack based on shape, more power to ya? you're a round and square stacker. good.

THIS PLACE IS ABOUT LEARNING. And, I have little patience with people that stack metal based on its shape. it's always been silly and younger stackers need to realize there's cheaper silver out there and just buying high premium stuff is irrational.

didnt I say if you stack based on shape, more power to ya? you're a round and square stacker. good.

THIS PLACE IS ABOUT LEARNING. And, I have little patience with people that stack metal based on its shape. it's always been silly and younger stackers need to realize there's cheaper silver out there and just buying high premium stuff is irrational.

It all depends on your reasons for stacking. I do it partially as an alternative savings vehicle. I also do it with the thought that a SHTF scenario could happen in my lifetime. IMO, and I already know you may not agree with me, the items I stack will have more value to the average person compared to the flatware/holloware items you enjoy in a SHTF/bartering situation. Does it mean I am right and you are wrong to do what we are each doing? Not at all. Again, stack what you like.

If I see sterling silver cheap at a garage sale or flea market, the only thoughts that would go through my mind are to determine if it's worth the effort to buy it with the intention of immediately reselling to a dealer or refiner. The thought of adding it to my stack along with the items I like doesn't even cross my mind. I don't carry a scale nor a loupe with me everywhere I go, so making a determination if it's a worthwhile deal is not practical.

On one hand nobody really does blow off an ASE, but a nice sterling spoon would be the shizzle for some rappers.

Back
Top Bottom