WHAT'S COOKING?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Newmisty

Yellow Jacket
GIM2 Refugee
Reaction score
My mother sent me a box from "Everyplate" for my birthday (belated gifts welcome :p) where you get a shipment of ingredients, including meat & produce, and recipes with pictures to walk you through the process.

Just made the "Apricot Pork Chops with a Kick"

The glaze is garlic, soy sauce, apricot jam, chili peppers, lime juice and butter. Jasmine rice with lime zest and roasted carrots.

Boy howdy is it Flippin' GOOD! This recipe is an absolute keeper.

Screenshot_20221021-201557.pngScreenshot_20221021-202250.png
Screenshot_20221021-203510.png
Easily the best meal I've had in recent memory. Going to put this into long term memory so I can woo myself & others in the future.

we have a killer recipe for pizza dough and me and my honey made pizza yesterday and since it was so good , everybody knows the rules , one bite , we will make another one today with the dough that has been in the fridge overnight

more in the style of a tomato pie

F5BCD280-A725-4403-BFC8-62CE1F31B3D9.jpeg

nice undercarriage , no flop

6EBAAE12-6464-48ED-A4EE-6375F76CDFC8.jpeg

8C403C77-2B50-47C4-A671-3BD7A77EA704.jpeg

Brother Cracker,
Can you share the dough recipe or is it a closely guarded family recipe.

why sure BigJim

the recipe came from a chef who was trained in France and had one of his bbq sauce recipes stolen by Emiril Lagasse

686 grams of flour
432 grams of water
1/2 teaspoon yeast
9 grams kosher salt
2 teaspoons oil

dissolve salt in water
mix dry yeast with flour

add 3/4 of flour/yeast to water
beat in KitchenAid mixer for 2 minutes
cover bowl and let rest for 20 minutes

then add remaining flour and beat in KitchenAid for 6 minutes and add oil the last two minutes

cover another 20 minutes

then knead by hand for 2 minutes and dust with flour and water as needed to get a good elastic dough

divide into thirds , place in an oiled bowl with lid and refrigerate for 24 hours

No sugars for the yeasties?

l double checked my notes and no sugar

but I asked the gf unit and she said she does add a tablespoon or two of sugar for the yeast

hmmmm , I will now have to try one batch with sugar and one without

l double checked my notes and no sugar

but I asked the gf unit and she said she does add a tablespoon or two of sugar for the yeast

hmmmm , I will now have to try one batch with sugar and one without
I hate floppy pizza crust....

sugar gets the yeasties going, else it takes longer... The little critters feed on the sugar and create CO2 aka gas bubbles....

One could mix the whole mess together, but I think it takes longer?

SOP for bread is to warm up 1/2 cup H2O to @110° add yeast & sugar. It will foam up - kickstarting it. Then add it to the rest.

Just curious what is the yield of this recipe? 3 - 10" pizzas?

Why is salt important in yeast bread?​

And can you bake bread without it?​

What does salt do in bread?
Salt has four important functions in bread, all the way from kneading to eating. Most crucially, it:
  1. Controls the rate of yeast fermentation
  2. Strengthens gluten
  3. Improves crust color
  4. Modifies flavor
Let’s dive into each of these factors a bit further to fully understand the importance of salt in baking yeast bread.

1) Salt controls yeast fermentation​

more

Last edited:
I hate floppy pizza crust....

sugar gets the yeasties going, else it takes longer... The little critters feed on the sugar and create CO2 aka gas bubbles....

One could mix the whole mess together, but I think it takes longer?

SOP for bread is to warm up 1/2 cup H2O to @110° add yeast & sugar. It will foam up - kickstarting it. Then add it to the rest.

Just curious what is the yield of this recipe? 3 - 10" pizzas?

Why is salt important in yeast bread?​

And can you bake bread without it?​

What does salt do in bread?
Salt has four important functions in bread, all the way from kneading to eating. Most crucially, it:
  1. Controls the rate of yeast fermentation
  2. Strengthens gluten
  3. Improves crust color
  4. Modifies flavor
Let’s dive into each of these factors a bit further to fully understand the importance of salt in baking yeast bread.

1) Salt controls yeast fermentation​

more
Oh man, knock it off! I just finished eating! Crikey, ya'll gonna git me fat. full-full-food-fat-smiley-emoticon-000646-large.gif

Not as pretty as the others but real darn tasty.

Creamy Dijon Chicken
With Sauteed Zucchini and Herby Potatoes

View attachment 1590
Creamy Dijon Sauce-
Saute Scallion whites & garlic till fragrant
Stir in chx stock concentrate and 2 Tbsp water. Remove from heat to cool slightly, then stir in sour cream, Dijon mustard, 1tbsp butter until melted and combined. Season with pepper.

Here is my pizza dough recipe. It always works. I use a Kitchenaid mixer with the dough hook.

550 grams water, warmed one minute in microwave.
1 TBSP yeast
2 TSP salt
3 TBSP sugar
960 grams all purpose flour

Warm water and warm oven for about a minute.
Measure water into mixing bowl.
"One. Two. Three." Add yeast, salt, and sugar.
Measure flour into bowl.
Note: some times of the year, Walmart flour needs an extra 5 grams.

Mix together one minute on the lowest "stir" setting.
Switch to speed #2. Use spatula to bring dough off the sides.
If dough creeps up the dough hook, push it back down.
Wait for dough to start "slapping" the sides of the bowl, then set timer for 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes of occasional slapping, stop mixer.
Add a few drops of oil to bowl and roll dough around.
Cover bowl and put in (slightly) warm oven for one hour.

Makes 2 large 17" or 3 small 13" crusts.

Just made a bunch of sweet peppers & pickled red onions for sandwiches or whatever.
Filets, mushrooms & sweet potatoes last night. Mrs. BigJim makes the best sweet potatoes & butternut squash.

I've attached a pdf of my Mom's pumpkin pie recipe. She never wrote it down, but I did. ALWAYS pay attention in the kitchen. I even used a canned amount for those who don't prepare their own pumpkin.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• Mom's Pumpkin Pie.pdf
    52.8 KB · Views: 3
Pulled pork BBQ with french fries and onion rings.

bbq1.jpg

You're chopped! (J/k)
Snoopy's cute. Great mug. What's the red stuff in left bowl, what's the sauce?

Red stuff in the left bowl is Thai Birdseye peppers that I grew myself. Tiny little buggers, but they'll put a hurt on you if you aren't careful. The sauce is part of Alex's recipe. Fresh squeezed lemon juice, soy sauce, and grated ginger and garlic.

Red stuff in the left bowl is Thai Birdseye peppers that I grew myself. Tiny little buggers, but they'll put a hurt on you if you aren't careful. The sauce is part of Alex's recipe. Fresh squeezed lemon juice, soy sauce, and grated ginger and garlic.
How do you use those peppers in such a manner? Looks like they're to sprinkle atop.

How do you use those peppers in such a manner? Looks like they're to sprinkle atop.

Yeah, you could sprinkle them. If you can stand the heat. I carefully spear one on a tine of the fork and then spear a hunk of chicken. Dip in the dipping sauce and hold on. These peppers are seriously hot. Twenty years ago, I could eat them just fine. I would still be sweating two hours later, but otherwise I would be fine. These days I have to be a little more careful just how many of those little pieces I eat. Either I'm growing them hotter, or my insides are getting older. One of the two.

About the peppers - I grow them in a pot on my porch. They are easy to grow and you get a lot of peppers on a plant. The good thing is that they freeze very well. I put them in zip-lock baggies and put them in one of my freezers and simply pull two out any time I need them. I use them for my lemon chicken, my Pad Prick Khing, and my Bangkok-style Drunken Noodles. Serve them on the side and a little goes a long way.

pepper.jpg

Yeah, you could sprinkle them. If you can stand the heat. I carefully spear one on a tine of the fork and then spear a hunk of chicken. Dip in the dipping sauce and hold on. These peppers are seriously hot. Twenty years ago, I could eat them just fine. I would still be sweating two hours later, but otherwise I would be fine. These days I have to be a little more careful just how many of those little pieces I eat. Either I'm growing them hotter, or my insides are getting older. One of the two.

About the peppers - I grow them in a pot on my porch. They are easy to grow and you get a lot of peppers on a plant. The good thing is that they freeze very well. I put them in zip-lock baggies and put them in one of my freezers and simply pull two out any time I need them. I use them for my lemon chicken, my Pad Prick Khing, and my Bangkok-style Drunken Noodles. Serve them on the side and a little goes a long way.

View attachment 2795
How old is that specimen? Got any seeds to spare? Trade you for my green guys (in garden thread)

How old is that specimen? Got any seeds to spare? Trade you for my green guys (in garden thread)

PM sent.

That plant isn't old at all. I bought it as a seedling in early May and by September it is usually done. Very prolific plant. Like a weed.

Just got my box. So mom's been buying these by playing their ploys. Ie sign up for subscription, get deal, cancel within time period type thing. So I dont know what the cost is.

Figured I'd show pics of unpacking the box. This is a whole new phenomenon to me as I'm sure it is to most reading so thought you'd be curious to see what's up.

Screenshot_20221115-144821.png

Screenshot_20221115-144913.png

Screenshot_20221115-144958.png

Screenshot_20221115-145330.png

Screenshot_20221115-145051.png

Screenshot_20221115-145138.png

Screenshot_20221115-145253.png

Screenshot_20221115-152325.png

Back
Top Bottom