WHAT'S COOKING?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

It sounds like, "A real chef does the grocery shopping for you and drops it off with the recipe."

This actually seems like it could be a real thing. Most people probably enjoy and value meals that have good ingredients and are made well. For many in this group, this may mean a trip to a good restaurant, as they don't feel they have the skill to do this at home. The push-back is the high price, the inconvenience of travel, and possibly, the loss of comfort of spending that time in a public place compared to the comfort of home. (For some, this may actually be the opposite, however.)

There are almost unlimited options in the "compromise" arena. Any grocery store will have endless variety of frozen or shelf stable meals that can be heated in the oven or microwave. And the taste and nutrition vary between them. The price is certainly lower than going to a good restaurant. (And the food may be exactly (!) what one would get at a bleh cafe. I do mean "exactly".)

I think I have to applaud a food service that leads its customers to better meals at a reasonable price. As their customers gain confidence, they may start doing their own shopping and recipes. With good food. If this transition reduces their orders from those customers, maybe they will gain as those same recommend that service to their friends as a healthy stepping stone?

It sounds like, "A real chef does the grocery shopping for you and drops it off with the recipe."

This actually seems like it could be a real thing. Most people probably enjoy and value meals that have good ingredients and are made well. For many in this group, this may mean a trip to a good restaurant, as they don't feel they have the skill to do this at home. The push-back is the high price, the inconvenience of travel, and possibly, the loss of comfort of spending that time in a public place compared to the comfort of home. (For some, this may actually be the opposite, however.)

There are almost unlimited options in the "compromise" arena. Any grocery store will have endless variety of frozen or shelf stable meals that can be heated in the oven or microwave. And the taste and nutrition vary between them. The price is certainly lower than going to a good restaurant. (And the food may be exactly (!) what one would get at a bleh cafe. I do mean "exactly".)

I think I have to applaud a food service that leads its customers to better meals at a reasonable price. As their customers gain confidence, they may start doing their own shopping and recipes. With good food. If this transition reduces their orders from those customers, maybe they will gain as those same recommend that service to their friends as a healthy stepping stone?
It's really helped me get 'back into the kitchen's and bulk prep meals on my own too. I used to be a back of house chef way back in the day, over 20 years ago.

Tonight I made the Sweet Unami Beef Bowl with Pickled Cucumbers and Wasabi Aioli

Fantastic meal, cool, crispy, sweet, tart, spicy...she's a winner!

Screenshot_20221115-151059.png

Screenshot_20221115-185322.png

International bachelor chow, gringo edition.

Fresh German Brotchen, Hot Italian Sausage grilled, hot Guardiniera, Sport peppers, Jalapeno spicy mustard, stuffed olives on the side.

IMG_20221116_175111539-medium.jpg

Just started making a big batch of Pad Thai. I made some the other day shooting from the hip trying to get closer to the Pad Thai I fell in love with back in Portland, Me. I nailed it pretty good using what I had on hand.

Made a giant batch of
discount pad Thai last night.

Sauteed onions, garlic and carrot

Added salt, Bragg's amino acids, fish sauce, peanut butter, brown sugar, vinegar, scallions, hot peppers and ramen noodles. Marinaded 4 large chicken breasts cut into small pieces in S&P and some milk. Sauteed the chicken, added to mix and cooked on high heat for a few minutes. Garnished with lemon juice.

Filled 4 large yogurt containers.

Screenshot_20221206-201827.png

Pork butt. 7 1/2 pound. Went into the smoker Friday night; pulled it Saturday afternoon after 18 hours when it reached target temperature. Wrapped it for a couple hours, and made for a fine New Years Eve meal for us and a few friends.
1672591937987.png

1672591970569.png

There is plenty left over, but it makes for some good chili...

Seeing how it is New Year's Day, I will be making the traditional pork roast, mashed potatoes, gravy, sauerkraut, and spicy black eye peas. Supposed to bring you luck for the coming year.

There is plenty left over, but it makes for some good chili...
I'll just quote myself and leave this here. I have several jars of canned chili based from last summer, combine with some of the leftover pulled pork, and some chili/pinto beans.

1672776893059.png

My pictures show that my food isn't particularly presentable, certainly not compared to what Newmisty is posting...those are some commercial quality presentations. My griddle is usually a mess, the food is a jumble in the crock pot...but it is generally edible, usually pretty good, and better than the processed crap you get in fast food drive throughs.

I'll just quote myself and leave this here. I have several jars of canned chili based from last summer, combine with some of the leftover pulled pork, and some chili/pinto beans.

View attachment 5435

My pictures show that my food isn't particularly presentable, certainly not compared to what Newmisty is posting...those are some commercial quality presentations. My griddle is usually a mess, the food is a jumble in the crock pot...but it is generally edible, usually pretty good, and better than the processed crap you get in fast food drive throughs.
I'm instantly reminded of a lady at the nursery that had brought in chili on my day off but left me a small mason jar full of chilu with some shredded cheese and the last of the small bag of Fritos. It totally made my day! Your pics got my stomach growling. šŸ¤ 

This outdoor griddle is just ideal for making breakfast...

Cheese omelets, bacon, hash browns (with a bit of cheese sprinkled on top). We do try to eat healthy, but there are limits...those limits usually involve cheese and bacon.

1673196357907.png

This outdoor griddle is just ideal for making breakfast...

Cheese omelets, bacon, hash browns (with a bit of cheese sprinkled on top). We do try to eat healthy, but there are limits...those limits usually involve cheese and bacon.

View attachment 5706

They have one of those Blackstone griddles on sale at my local Lowe's. I was checking it out.

They have one of those Blackstone griddles on sale at my local Lowe's. I was checking it out.

If you want to look into it a bit, there is a really good YouTube channel called "The Flat Top King". He does a lot of great videos about care and maintenance as well as cooking different things. He used to be a cook in the Navy, cooking on a ship, so he has a lot of knowledge about griddle style cooking.

If you want to look into it a bit, there is a really good YouTube channel called "The Flat Top King". He does a lot of great videos about care and maintenance as well as cooking different things. He used to be a cook in the Navy, cooking on a ship, so he has a lot of knowledge about griddle style cooking.
Great, now I'm craving cheese steaks again!

Back
Top Bottom