Why Smart People Believe Stupid Things

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

morning
Benefactor
Reaction score
A bit long but interesting (imo.)

Why Smart People Believe Stupid Things​

What causes delusion?

The prevailing view is that people adopt false beliefs because they’re too stupid or ignorant to grasp the truth. This may be true in some cases, but just as often the opposite is true: many delusions prey not on dim minds but on bright ones. And this has serious implications for education, society, and you personally.

In 2013 the Yale law professor Dan Kahan conducted experiments testing the effect of intelligence on ideological bias. In one study he scored people on intelligence using the “cognitive reflection test,” a task to measure a person’s reasoning ability. He found that liberals and conservatives scored roughly equally on average, but the highest scoring individuals in both groups were the most likely to display political bias when assessing the truth of various political statements.

Full article:

What we call "intelligence" is often just a keen social sense - to mimic what is being said or done, or thought; and to reflect it.

Rote memorization, as of facts, is a facet of intelligence; but it's not the core. Intelligence is the ability to retain and utilize knowledge. That also involves critical thinking, and an ability to deduce what is FACT, apart from what people believe, or act as if they believe.

Social mimicry is important to pack animals - when there's a bunch of barking dogs, your dog will start barking, too - having NO IDEA what he's barking at. But that's not intelligence. And someone who just repeats back what the pack leader (in his white coat, with his title, with his power to punish those below him) says, is hardly using his brains.

I took a course years ago in applied psychology that guided the class through exercises designed to illuminate the lenses we (each member of the class specifically - not society in general) use to filter our thoughts and experiences. Sort of an intensive, guided journey in introspection. I found it very interesting.

I've always thought it would be a great thing if high school curriculums included similar courses.

Social mimicry is important to pack animals

Most peeps are pack animals. Different groups = different mimicry.

And someone who just repeats back what the pack leader (in his white coat, with his title, with his power to punish those below him) says, is hardly using his brains.

Interesting and true.

Different groups = different repeats.

Some get so crazy they believe the shit they spout without any proof / evidence what-so-ever. Especially when it comes to politics and religion.

Peeps are a trip.

Most peeps are pack animals. Different groups = different mimicry.

Interesting and true.

Different groups = different repeats.

Some get so crazy they believe the shit they spout without any proof / evidence what-so-ever. Especially when it comes to politics and religion.

Peeps are a trip.
Ever notice how I always get in the (expletive) at these boards?

Take, here or GIM2. I'm on board with the key members, 85 percent of the time. But, when I believe they're wrong...I don't hesitate to call them out. This Ohio train wreck is illustrative. It would be social-stroking behavior for me to jump on the Conspiracy bandwagon; but I KNOW things about railroading, and, while disposing of the chemicals in the wrecked cars was a crime, and done for money and expediency...the actual wreck was NOT Antifa, or illegals, or swarthy men with hooked noses, blowing up the train.

It was/is much more complicated. It keeps happening because the WAY they are now running trains, is not safe. Not because the hooked-noses are running all across the country.

I for one, put facts above social approval. I'd rather leave a site, or a club, or a job or a nation...then knuckle under to social or legal pressure to conform to a lie or injustice.

It has been fascinating (yet terrifying) that in the last 3 years, often the more educated and therefore possibly the more intelligent, were more likely to be led astray against facts that were easily discernible by the less so.

Ever notice how I always get in the (expletive) at these boards?

Actually no. I enjoy reading your posts.

Ohio train wreck is illustrative.

Following it in the news but really cannot comment on it. I know absolutely nothing about trains and even less about train wrecks. I do feel sorry for those affected by it. Sounds like they're in a world of hurt.

It has been fascinating (yet terrifying) that in the last 3 years, often the more educated and therefore possibly the more intelligent, were more likely to be led astray against facts that were easily discernible by the less so.
Trump Derangement. AKA Mass Formation Psychosis.

SOMETHING happened to the supposedly-educated, allegedly-smarter, Elites...who absorb huge amounts of Echo-Chamber Nooze...something happened to them, that didn't happen to people in the real world.

Especially people like myself, far lower on the totem pole, who REJECTS the propaganda feed, who QUESTIONS government, who puts facts before feelings and before demands to repeat the shibboleths.

Actually no. I enjoy reading your posts.
Check back on threads about conspiracy theories, or Clif High, or how certain religious people who wear funny hats, are causing all the evil we see. (While they ignore the actions of alleged-Christians like Xiden and Vodka Nan, like Wretched Witless and Gruesome Newsom.)

Just pointing it out. I'm never part of the chorus. When someone's right, they're right; but that's because of facts. I'm no respecter of persons.

Neil Tyson and the clot shot is a good example. Smart guy off the rails on this one.

Why Stupid-Smart people believe this crap. They aren't actually intelligent.

I see Casey already explained that more eloquently in the second post. Good job.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom