Writing specs is a pain in....

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ancona

Praying Mantis
Reaction score
my ass.

I picked up a little side job from an old friend of mine earlier this week to write several specifications for a project out at the Space Center. It's a pretty straightforward job for Lockheed Martin but the specs they want are insane. I will spend all evening tomorrow, all day Saturday and all day Sunday to trim them up and ship them out. The whole gig pays two and a half grand, which is pretty good jack, but I will spend the first dry weekend in three months stuck inside. Oh well, sometimes we just have to do what we have to do. I downloaded a pretty cool database called SpecsIntact, which is pretty easy to find and hijack, and learned how to use it last year. All of the specs are for removal of paints with hazardous constituents [RCRA metals and PCB's], Asbestos and universal waste removal, storage and disposal requirements. Pretty easy stuff but boring as hell. I have to go through this thing line by line, selectively editing them to tailor the spec to the job at hand and include all State and municip[al requirements that may blend with Federal requirements. Those citations I have to look up myself and insert.

Wish me luck.:wave:

Sounds a lot like writing tech support manuals for our software products. It's a mind numbing experience.

This sounds like something I would post.

I write specs and entire spec books, including front end boilerplate / contracts.

It is mind-numbing after about the first hour. 80 hours later and it makes one reconsider their career.

As long as I have enough of a break between projects requiring specs, I regain some sanity.

I feel your pain.

ADK

True that ADK, my brain hurts and I have only just started. Luckily SpecsIntact is a full boilerplate and only needs editing.

good luck Ancona
The only boilerplate that would get me excited, would also have a steam whistle somewhere (-:

you never did confirm if your recently won work was for Ancona Inc or your old firm as you worked your notice ............

No.......it was for my current firm. I do the spec writing and project design as a sideline for a few guys. Actually, it's my sole source of mad money at this time with the exception of some estate sale stuff I do and building rifles. The gun thing works out to only be a few grand a year of profit, and if I look at actual hours spent doing it I'm only gertting paid about fifteen bucks an hour, but it's a lot of fum.

Back
Top Bottom