ZH: Glencore the next AIG (Lehman precipitator)?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-09-24/goldman-preparing-sacrifice-next-lehman

TBTD (too big to downgrade)... Expect credit rating agencies to get creative in their need to readjust definitions, thresholds and requirements for various ratings if they need to...

With the slow meltdown in China, that Glencore implosion is likely to come sooner than later. I don't see why they just don't unwind those positions rather than let it become Armageddon.

Maybe they can't* unwind them.

*politically (think PPT lever) or economically

Well, if they can't unwind them, they had best get ready for a global reset, because there isn't enough money in all the worlds treasuries to cover a collapse.

https://srsroccoreport.com/mining-giant-glencore-to-sell-gold-silver-output-to-pay-down-debt/

10% of one years production would be roughly 95K ounces gold (x $1150 = $10,9250,000) and 3.5M ounces silver (x $14.50 = $50,750,000). So at full market value, one year's worth of production is roughly $62M on the high side. Forced hedging means they are getting less than market value. Not sure how much less, but they must be selling 15-20 years worth of 10% production to make $1B. I wonder how stable their mine production is to work such a long term deal.

* bump *

Well, it's 8-9 years later from the OP. ...

Switzerland seems to be the central trouble masquerading as all innocent. Credit Suisse and Glencore... all huge derivative players and therefore market manipulation potential.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…