Precious Metals Forum

Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Precious Metals and Economic News > Silver Bug

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PMBug

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 42 times
Reely Stoopid Kwestshun

This might "take the cake" on idiotic questions, but.... if ASEs and "America the Beautiful" rounds are U.S. currency, why can't I go to a bank and buy them?
Old 10-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
n00b

Liked: 2 times
In all seriousness do you think a bank would even accept them? I'm sure if the teller saw one he/she would find another employee or manager and have it identified. They probably have some sort of obligation to tell the person that's it's worth much more in silver than one lousy USD. That's all assuming that someone would be foolish enough to try to exchange it for one (1) USD.

If a bank did accept one I'd think that any employee with half a brain would buy it out of the drawer lol.
Chris1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
Ground Beetle

Liked: 388 times
Originally Posted by Chris1987 View Post:
In all seriousness do you think a bank would even accept them? I'm sure if the teller saw one he/she would find another employee or manager and have it identified.
If banks were on the ball, they would make sure their employees knew about all current issue coins. I know, I am dreaming.

They probably have some sort of obligation to tell the person that's it's worth much more in silver than one lousy USD.
The banks have NO obligation to KNOW that they are worth more than face, so no way could they be obliged to inform a naive customer.

As an aside, the owners of the coin counting machines that are popping up in stores everywhere are making a killing by sorting pre-65 coins out of the coins people put in their machines. Most people HAVE NO CLUE that all coins are NOT created equal even though those coins may look the same.

If a bank did accept one I'd think that any employee with half a brain would buy it out of the drawer lol.
Why would anyone knowledgeable about coin values ever have a NEED to work at a bank?

http://mmerlinn.com

GOLD is the money of KINGS.
SILVER is the money of GENTLEMEN.
BARTER is the money of PEASANTS.
DEBT is the money of SLAVES.
- Norm Franz

Last edited by mmerlinn; 10-03-2014 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Typo correction.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:15 AM   #4
n00b

Liked: 2 times
I agree about the pre-65 coins. Over the years I've had many friends and family ready to cash in their change stash and they have no clue what's what. I've handpicked quite a few silver specimens out of their buckets. Oh well, more for me :-)
Chris1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:49 AM   #5
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2451 times
Gresham's Law in action.
ancona likes this.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:59 AM   #6
Fly on the wall

Liked: 31 times
Quote :
Why would anyone knowledgeable about coin values ever have a NEED to work at a bank?
Well, not everyone who buys gold and silver, or collects coins, is Thurston Howell III. I'm no millionaire.
Cybrsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #7
Ground Beetle

Liked: 388 times
Originally Posted by Cybrsk8r View Post:
Well, not everyone who buys gold and silver, or collects coins, is Thurston Howell III. I'm no millionaire.
The way I see it is if a person is cognizant of coin values, he knows too much to be a banker, and probably would be happier in a better job. In other words, if a person is that knowledgeable, he is OVER-QUALIFIED for a banking job, and he is wasting his time in such a job. That has nothing to do with how rich ($$$) he is only how rich (knowledge) he is. And it has nothing to do with buying/selling/collecting anything since lots and lots of PM knowledgeable people will NEVER own PMs.

http://mmerlinn.com

GOLD is the money of KINGS.
SILVER is the money of GENTLEMEN.
BARTER is the money of PEASANTS.
DEBT is the money of SLAVES.
- Norm Franz
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote