Reely Stoopid Kwestshun

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mark

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
This might "take the cake" on idiotic questions, but.... if ASEs and "America the Beautiful" rounds are U.S. currency, why can't I go to a bank and buy them?:rotflmbo:

In all seriousness do you think a bank would even accept them? I'm sure if the teller saw one he/she would find another employee or manager and have it identified. They probably have some sort of obligation to tell the person that's it's worth much more in silver than one lousy USD. That's all assuming that someone would be foolish enough to try to exchange it for one (1) USD.

If a bank did accept one I'd think that any employee with half a brain would buy it out of the drawer lol.

In all seriousness do you think a bank would even accept them? I'm sure if the teller saw one he/she would find another employee or manager and have it identified.

If banks were on the ball, they would make sure their employees knew about all current issue coins. I know, I am dreaming.

They probably have some sort of obligation to tell the person that's it's worth much more in silver than one lousy USD.

The banks have NO obligation to KNOW that they are worth more than face, so no way could they be obliged to inform a naive customer.

As an aside, the owners of the coin counting machines that are popping up in stores everywhere are making a killing by sorting pre-65 coins out of the coins people put in their machines. Most people HAVE NO CLUE that all coins are NOT created equal even though those coins may look the same.

If a bank did accept one I'd think that any employee with half a brain would buy it out of the drawer lol.

Why would anyone knowledgeable about coin values ever have a NEED to work at a bank?

Last edited:
I agree about the pre-65 coins. Over the years I've had many friends and family ready to cash in their change stash and they have no clue what's what. I've handpicked quite a few silver specimens out of their buckets. Oh well, more for me :)

Gresham's Law in action.

Why would anyone knowledgeable about coin values ever have a NEED to work at a bank?

Well, not everyone who buys gold and silver, or collects coins, is Thurston Howell III. I'm no millionaire.

Well, not everyone who buys gold and silver, or collects coins, is Thurston Howell III. I'm no millionaire.

The way I see it is if a person is cognizant of coin values, he knows too much to be a banker, and probably would be happier in a better job. In other words, if a person is that knowledgeable, he is OVER-QUALIFIED for a banking job, and he is wasting his time in such a job. That has nothing to do with how rich ($$$) he is only how rich (knowledge) he is. And it has nothing to do with buying/selling/collecting anything since lots and lots of PM knowledgeable people will NEVER own PMs.

Back
Top Bottom