Precious Metals Forum

Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Precious Metals and Economic News > Fiat Ponzi

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By PMBug
  • 2 Post By bushi

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
ADK
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 123 times
PRE-ORDER U.S. Mint New Issue Coins

Get your orders in early!

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...ng-end-around/

I have trouble believing that this is an actual solution. Either way, it's a funny(?) / interesting article.

ADK
Old 01-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2455 times
Yeah, this idea gets play in the press every so often. It's never going to happen, but it makes for a "fun" story the media can play with. A year or so ago when this idea was being discussed in the media, I had read a pretty good analysis on it, but I didn't save the bookmark. Found this just now:

Quote :
Jim Grant spends exactly the correct amount of time (zero) discussing the "urban myth' of the trillion dollar coin in this brief interview on CNBC; ...
Video: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-0...erging-america
ADK likes this.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
Ground Beetle

Liked: 554 times
Originally Posted by ADK View Post:
Get your orders in early!

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...ng-end-around/

I have trouble believing that this is an actual solution. Either way, it's a funny(?) / interesting article.

ADK
well, this idea is the "solution" to exactly the same degree, as buying toxic MBSes by the Fed is a "solution" - i.e., it keeps the lights on, for a while, by monetizing the collateral, that is nowhere close to it's face-value. It doesn't really differ at all, if they mint it in platinum, or issue some more TBills, for the same face amount - they will most certainly do not use the amount of platinum, which market value would amount to US $1 trillion. Like, you know, in Zimbabwe, they did have these hundred trillion dollar bills - I say, save the platinum for better use.

This is just a legal gimmick,that would allow them to go around the congressional deadlock, because debt ceilings increases have to be approved by Congress, while minting the coin, apparently not.

Besides, why stop there? Let's just keep minting these, and send a million dollar check to every US citizen, for his troubles - wouldn't it be great?
ancona and ADK like this.