ancona likes this.
Never free.

PMBug 101 *** Forum Rules
benjamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:05 PM   #23
Big-eyed bug

Liked: 344 times
Originally Posted by Jay View Post:
todays harvest (cinnamon rolls courtesy of HEB)

Is anyone besides me eyeing the cinnamon rolls?
Unobtanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:40 PM   #24
Ground Beetle

Liked: 502 times
Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post:
Is anyone besides me eyeing the cinnamon rolls?
I was kind of wondering what the poster with the money was.
11C1P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:27 AM   #25
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2444 times
Spring is here and we have a bunch of veggies planted.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #26
Ground Beetle

Liked: 502 times
Our counter top looks like a miniature jungle, this year the wife got a grow light to help them grow better inside until it's warm enough outside and/or I get the green house I bought built. The light is really making a difference the plants are Waaay ahead of where they were last year just on what light they got through the window and regular house lights.
11C1P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #27
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
We have a lot of items planted, but he chickens got in and devastated all the lettuce and radish shoots. Oh well......at least they're both fast growers.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #28
Jay
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 671 times
Originally Posted by 11C1P View Post:
I was kind of wondering what the poster with the money was.
my wife is a schoolteacher (although she will not teach in the US "American kids are brats") It's a US currency equivalency poster left over from when my kids were little. They are now 31,30, 29, 18 and 12. Come to think of it, I'm surprised four quarters still make one dollar.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #29
Super Moderator

Liked: 685 times
Keyhole raised garden design:
http://www.texascooppower.com/texas-...hole-gardening

PMBug and CoinExplorer like this.
Never free.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #30
Fly on the wall

Liked: 26 times
Originally Posted by benjamen View Post:
Keyhole raised garden design:
http://www.texascooppower.com/texas-...hole-gardening

What an interesting idea! Thanks!
CoinExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #31
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2444 times
ancona and CoinExplorer like this.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:28 PM   #32
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 54 times
Screw potatoes, move on to non calcium joint depositing starches like squash.
If you must, plant them after the spring potato insect surge. Much easier than battling.
They will mature just as rapidly unless you are in a non seasonal location.
To hot... screen shade and straw 8" deep. NOT hay. Maintains moisture and moderates temp.
I just uncovered onions started to late and did not mature last fall. 90% survived and greens are 8"-14" tall with slight swelling at the base. Edible now, but I'll go for huge bulbs by bending the stalks 90 degrees. 2 weeks ago dug out 45lbs of parsnips from under straw, last of the beets, and uncovered kale stalks which are now putting out a two person meals worth every three days, delicious !
Garlic is now sticking out of the straw by 6"-8" was planted 12-4-13, 9 days before killer frost, which was 2 months late. 392 garlic greens looking good coming out of 16" of straw. Still have bags of garlic, onions, frozen kale, squash, and broccoli, fridged carrots, beets, and parsnips. Almost enough for us to reach the first round of harvests. All Organic, enough for 4 people from a 20' x 100' with 2' path down the middle. South side in 9' x9' and north 7' x 7' earth squares. A foot is lost on outside edges as garden is on easterly angled ground and raised beds for water retention from hose.
I will say this, straw reduces water consumption by 60-70% here in midcoast Maine. Usable on surface for 2 years and tilled into compost for the third year. After this 3rd year 2014 we will no longer traditionally till and will only 2"-3" rake. Establishing mother natures layers and levels of living soil. Straw greatly supplements this with its temp moderation, moisture, and solar as well.
Joyous it is to dig up fresh vegetables mid winter and comprehend the lack of petroleum being utilized in order to provide consumption thereof. Comprehend, in US food is the #1 petroleum user.
Been back from Ecuador for 3 days and 10 flats of seeds have been started. 3 harvests will happen this year. Due to reduction of food expenditures, small greenhouse is going in mid summer and greens will be growing into next year with hoop houses INSIDE the greenhouse. I smile looking at the produce section when walking past... SEE YAZ !

Oh yeah, screw corn as well. It consumes more nutrients and space than it will ever repay you with.
Got free space and chickens... maybe. The reason people are addicted to corn is from the left over nitrogen form WW2, jacking the crop up like steroids. I am not joking.

Get out and bust a nut. Mother nature is waiting to reward you.
Unobtanium, ancona and rblong2us like this.

Last edited by drAGonfly47; 04-24-2014 at 09:33 PM. Reason: sp
drAGonfly47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #33
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
drAGonfly,
Right on man!

I live in Florida, so we don't usually screw with potatoes, however we do like sweet 'taters, so we have about a fifty foot by eighty foot area we let simply run wild with them. The ones we left in from last year have already spread out to cover the entire area once again. The keepers from last year are pretty big by Florida standards ['taters won't get that big here]. Some of them are two pounds each!

Like you, we cover the stuff we're over-wintering with about eight inches of hay called "coastal", which is a common feed hay here, but real cheap at 5 bucks a bale. It is excellent slow release fertilizer in addition to protecting the plants from frost. Our onions, leeks, garlic and root veggies all benefit from this technique. We like the low impact gardening school, so we opt for locally sourced manures and shy away from the commercial fertilizers. We will use fish emulsion that we get from a small fish processor at Port Canaveral, and that seems to be all that we need. We will dust out tomatoes with food grade diatomaceous earth, and will do the same with corn. I don't like using BT on corn because it is a bacterium and I do not need to artificially add any of these things to my diet. The diatomaceous earth is not 100% effective, but it is about 80%, and that's good enough for me. Whatever the bugs damage we give to the chickens or put in our compost heap, so it's all good in the end.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #34
Super Moderator

Liked: 685 times
I haven't been around much lately as I just went through the process of buying a house. Now I am fixing it up and moving in; so much work to do.

Anyway, the prior owner was a big gardener and left me with several well made raised beds! This brings my mind back to this thread and gardening. Even in the small scale gardening I have been doing at my old rental home, I have had the issue of getting too much fruits and vegetables ripening at one time. This has gotten me into researching canning, preserving, ect. I just stumbled across a mountain of information here:

http://nchfp.uga.edu/

PMBug, Unobtanium and rblong2us like this.
Never free.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:11 PM   #35
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 871 times
Well done ( I think ) for successfully purchasing property Benjamen.
Didnt you start to build an aquaponic setup at your old place ?
Old 08-14-2014, 07:18 AM   #36
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 54 times
Originally Posted by benjamen View Post:
I haven't been around much lately as I just went through the process of buying a house. Now I am fixing it up and moving in; so much work to do.

Anyway, the prior owner was a big gardener and left me with several well made raised beds! This brings my mind back to this thread and gardening. Even in the small scale gardening I have been doing at my old rental home, I have had the issue of getting too much fruits and vegetables ripening at one time. This has gotten me into researching canning, preserving, ect. I just stumbled across a mountain of information here:

http://nchfp.uga.edu/

Reduce canning and increase fresh consumption, staggered planting.
We do
Spring EARLY planting, before most say is OK for late spring/early summer consumption.
Warm ground spring planting for plants which need all summer, onions a great example; and for late summer consumption.
Mid-summer planting for fall harvest, canning, freezing, etc.
What is not used for food, feed to chickens, friends, compost, $ell or trade.
Yes, we have blanched and frozen during 1st and second planting harvests. This s p r e a d s o u t fall canning torture, and produces opportunity for relaxation. Or at least attempted relaxation since that has been discarded.

Time to rake more of our OG blueberries. We have tonnage from this years acre. A bumper crop declared by the State Cooperative Extension. Customers are enthralled with size and sweetness of the blueberries this year. Many cash paying repeat customers, and all word of mouth. Loved delivering to the LCS and getting paid, hah! Was actually paid with MONEY.

Hoping for a true fall and freezing winter. Needed here in NE for insect reduction. A bumper crop of insects this year as well. Doubt we will have such.
drAGonfly47 is offline   Reply With Quote