90pct silver premiums vs .999 silver premiums

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

BigJim

Ground Beetle
Reaction score
Tulving was out of Bags of 90% Junk Silver for almost a week.
Back in stock.
Dimes & Quarters @ $1.59 Over- Buy @ .40 Over
WL Half Dollars @ $1.99 Over- Buy @ .80 Over.
Looks like .999 is taking over the entry level.

Thoughts???

Last edited:
Coin shop in St. Louis

Two weekends ago, I went to a coin shop in St. Louis ( one of three I visit to buy stuff, based on who has the best prices at the time ) and bought $70 face of dimes. I paid the equivalent of 1.23 over spot. Both dimes and quarters were this price if you bought more then $20 face. At this coin shop, they would have bought dimes and quarters for $.26 under spot.

They would have sold half dollar coins for 1.67 over spot and bought the half dollars for the same as the dimes and quarters . . . $.26 under spot.

When I was there and finally decided to buy the dimes, they asked if I was buying a $500 face value bag of dimes, or a smaller amount. I told them I could only buy $70 face. The guy I was talking to then seemed to show a "sign of relief" on his face. He said they didn't have very many dimes to sell at the time but DID have enough to sell me the $70 face. But they had to give me a mixture of barbers, mercurys and roosevelts. AND they threw in 15 extra dimes for the price I paid for the $70 face. I think the guy was trying to make up for the much more wear on the barbers and some of the mercs. I told him I appreciated the extra dimes.

In conclusion, this coin shop is low on 90% stuff too.

One other very minor detail. When I looked at all the dimes at home, there was a 1921 - d merc in the dimes. It was only in good condition, but it was a nice surprise bonus.

Just checked again.
Generic Bars,Rounds etc,Premiums from .49 to .89 per oz.
You can buy sealed Monster Boxes of Maples for $1.99 over,same premium as the Half Dollars.

GOD BLESS & BRING OUR TROOPS HOME!!!

BTW, I checked this morning and Tulving appears to be sold out of 90%.

My local "we buy gold" guy and my usual bullion dealer in Va. are both charging six dollars over spot for ASE's. Don't know what junk is going for. I've been pretty fortunate with various "desperate" people selling me junk (I give them whatever coinflation shows that day). Lookng at the ad for Liberty think I outta buy from them. 1.38 over spot. fpr ASEs

CookieJar is a Filipino coin dealer that got my name somehow. I've not a clue how. Every six months, I get a THICK catalog of mailbid offers. Two rolls of 1943 war nickles "still have luster" min bid 50 each, one roll BU 1964 Kennedy halves (20 coins) min bid 190. Winning bid at 10% over second highest bid. Gave it a shot at 60 and 200. We'll see.

Tulving buy prices on 90% have gone up.
Dimes-Quarters-.80 over
Franklin/Kennedy Halves-.90 over
WL Halves-$1.00 over.

They may be offering more fiat, but I'm not selling mine. ;)

Tulving buy prices on 90% have gone up.
Dimes-Quarters-.80 over
Franklin/Kennedy Halves-.90 over
WL Halves-$1.00 over.

Update 3/15
Tulvings buy prices are now:
$1.10
$1.30
$1.50

I see that they have some in stock now even as the premiums are rising.

Tulving has upped the buy on dimes & quarters to $1.20 over & halves to $1.40 over.
SL halves still $1.50 over.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

To think I got WL halves at spot + $0.70 just 5 months ago (granted spot was almost $33 at the time).

My last order included 40 Buffalo Indians at spot + $0.89 (just so I can get to a round 100). But from now on, I'm going with Maples and Philharmonics at ~ +$2.09.

I agree that junk silver is becoming harder to find, and when you do find it, the price over spot has gone up enough for me to go for generic bullion over 90% coins . . . for the time being at least.

How much would be sufficient?

I don't hardly have anything 90%.

I was pondering a roll of quarters but then again should I go 2 or 3?

I realize this may be more in anticipation (as well as survivor) of more trouble with the dollar but I'd hate to think I can't unload 1oz's or even 5 oz's of pure!?!?

-Q

How much would be sufficient?

moneybin.jpg

:D

I like 90% simply because it is recognizable and fungible. In a grid-down or a fiat emergency, it is denominated small enough to be used for ordinary transactions with little trouble. It can also be readily hidden for security.

If he has any, Hans Tulving has the lowest premiums around. His 5,000 dollar minimum purchase can be intimidating as can his foul attitude and general disdain for other living organisms, but other than that, he has some of the lowest all-around premiums in the retail sphere.

If he has any, Hans Tulving has the lowest premiums around. His 5,000 dollar minimum purchase can be intimidating as can his foul attitude and general disdain for other living organisms, but other than that, he has some of the lowest all-around premiums in the retail sphere.

sounds like we would get along well. We could sit in the same room and ignore one another.... :)

Tulving has upped the buy on dimes & quarters to $1.20 over & halves to $1.40 over.
SL halves still $1.50 over.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

Update:
Buy prices down,now.
$1.00 over
$1.20 over
$1.40 over

Premiums over at Apmex are at 5 dollars an ounce for ASE's if you buy 20 or less and use a card. Junk silver isn't a hell of a lot better.

Tulving is still sold out of 90%.

Premiums over at Apmex are at 5 dollars an ounce for ASE's if you buy 20 or less and use a card. Junk silver isn't a hell of a lot better.

looks like Liberty is 3 over spot. I was going to call my "favorite" dealer in Va. but I'm not buying anyway so didn't bother. Good site, might have gotten it from here:
https://comparesilverprices.com/

HOUSTON -- There are few better barometers to gauge demand for bullion products on the street than the dealer to dealer premiums on those products. For old U.S. silver coins in moldy canvas bags premiums are on the rise as the price of silver has been doing the opposite.

Premiums are the amount over the current spot or cash price paid or collected in a bullion transaction. The opposite is, predictably, called a discount.

Witness then, in the chart just below, the reported premium over the spot or cash price which has developed for “90% silver bags” (circulated pre-1965 U.S. dimes, quarters and half dollars in cloth bags of $1,000 face value, each containing about 715 ounces of pure silver).*

[
2zqvp6a.png

(Data courtesy of Coin Dealer Newsletter or CDN, compiled by GGR staff) (More…)

For much of the past decade “90%” has traded at “par” or at a small discount to spot silver. Over the past three months, as silver has corrected from the $31.50 level to the $27s, CDN reports that dealers have been willing to up what they pay in dealer-to-dealer arm’s length transactions from a tiny discount of $0.08 per ounce in January to a $1.28** per ounce premium over spot the first week of April. [Higher now, SA]
Obviously retail customers would pay slightly more than the dealer prices on average for a straight up trade.

Clearly as silver prices have fallen demand for some silver products has increased, not decreased in the very efficient public market for physical silver metal.

The last time we witnessed premiums of this size for “junk silver,” as it is inappropriately called in the trade, was during the 2008-2009 crash in silver prices. During the height of the panic then, as silver collapsed from roughly $18 to about $9, premiums spiked briefly as high as $4 over spot.

The recent rise in premiums absolutely reflects the fact that with silver under $30 fewer owners are willing to part with the popular silver product at the same time as investors want to purchase more of it.

Independent dealers locally report that “90%” is available, at a price, but they also report very steady, even robust demand for all legacy U.S. gold and silver coinage at the moment.
http://www.gotgoldreport.com/2013/0...eans-higher-premiums-for-us-silver-coins.html

Last edited:
Update:
Buy prices down,now.
$1.00 over
$1.20 over
$1.40 over

Update:
$1.70 over
$1.90 over
$2.10 over
He's paying more for 90% halves than SAE's.:paperbag:

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

CookieJar is a Filipino coin dealer that got my name somehow. I've not a clue how. Every six months, I get a THICK catalog of mailbid offers. Two rolls of 1943 war nickles "still have luster" min bid 50 each, one roll BU 1964 Kennedy halves (20 coins) min bid 190. Winning bid at 10% over second highest bid. Gave it a shot at 60 and 200. We'll see.

"won" the roll of BU Kennedy halves at 253 including shipping. Guess I got whacked on this one. I'll figure it in cost-averaging. :(

Back
Top Bottom