ABC News: Extreme Penny Hoarders Hope to Cash In

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Nickles too. I know a fellow who has thirty five ammo cans full. I suspect tghey may be on to something. When we look at the tenuous situation in Europe and the fragile existence of teh Euro, it actually makes some sense. Copper has been kind of drifty for the last month, trending somewhat lower, but it remains a good indicator for future market activity.

Stop laughing! :rotflmbo:

I have a one liter bottle with the pre-1982 pennies (JUST started liter No. 2)and about 1.3 gallons of nickels!

If these base metals go back up, there will be an opportunity to loot your banks of nickles.

*** I would be curious to get an idea of how much the energy would cost to melt them into Cu and Ni. *** DCFusor, maybe you would have a guess as to a small foundry cost to separate the Cu from Ni?

Banks are on-line with this. I attempted to order two hundred bucks worth of nickles, and was refused.

Did they ask you why you wanted them? If so, what did you answer?

PMBug, yes I told them (that the metal value was higher than the 5 cents), when a nickel was worth some 7 cents. All I got from the tellers ($20 worth at a pop) was that same slack-jawed-vacant stare I always get like I´m from another planet when I mention gold to people...

The banks don´t (didn´t) have a problem giving them out in $20.00 amounts.

Nickels are heavy! I keep some stored at my office (a small room, just me, in a small building, but with a concrete floor).

---

Not to make any of you guys JEALOUS or anything, but in an hour or two I will join two of my brothers-in-law in knocking back a couple shots of Havana Club...

:judge:

GUILTY!

I saw that DCFusor delivered some of the emoticons, good job DCF!

I'm actually a copper bug, though most of it isn't pennies. Flashing, bus bars, sheets, castings. pipes, wire....I just pick up the stuff whenever I see a deal. I have perhaps 2-3 tons of it in the junkyard. I like working with the stuff in my hobby-machine-physics-shop.

In fact, I collect metals and alloys in general, mostly the higher value ones, but that would include stainless steel, titanium, lead, tin, aluminum, antimony...platinum, palladium, rhenium, tungsten, cadmium, selenium, cobalt, nickel, monel, vanadium, niobium, bismuth, indium (that one's real stackable and only going up fast in price), chromium, tantalum..and others - lots of variety. You never know what you might want when it's time to rebuild a world.

Really old lead is valuable to physics types. Freshly refined lead has some radioactivity, which makes for background noise in sensitive measurements. So 100+ year old lead flashing and pipes get a big premium if you know who likes that sort of thing.

Thanks DoChen, I found them around the web and have been collecting them. More to come if they're wanted here. I like this one for how the "little girls" that make up the market have been acting lately::flail:

My local bank refused my order because I told them why I was doing it. They now limit me to ten bucks worth twice a week.

Assholes. :judge:

My local bank refused my order because I told them why I was doing it. ...

Word is, when Kyle Bass ordered $1 million worth of nickels, they asked him why he wanted them and he famously replied, "I just like nickels."

:rotflmbo:

Back
Top Bottom