Are we headed for another Lehman moment in Europe?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States

Reggie Middleton says yes - times 4.

:paperbag:

Oh.. and Reggie is brilliant~!

Sharp as a tack IMO. The following video is a few weeks old, but worth watching if you haven't seen it. Reggie talks about the risk of a French bank failure in near future (starts @ 13:10):

Reggie Middleton warns that all the major banks are doing the same thing as BAC and dumping derivatives exposure/risk onto depositors / FDIC / taxpayers. In addition, he warns:
... I have found a bank that literally has more derivatives risk than Citibank, Goldman, Morgan and JP Morgan - COMBINED! That's right, and on top of that if you peek under the covers (and not just follow the fodder in the annual reports) it apparently has the greatest mortgage risk in the industry. ...

According to the latest quarterly report from the Office Of the Currency Comptroller the top 4 banks in the US now account for a massively disproportionate amount of the derivative risk in the financial system. Although the [subject bank] with the xth largest derivative exposure stands a significant distance behind JPM, Citi, Bank of America and Goldman Sachs (the four largest players); the exposure quoted in OCC report is only for the US entity. Overall, [subject bank]’s group derivative exposure in its balance sheet is 220% of its tangible equity, far higher in both absolute and relative terms when compared to its peers. [Subject bank]’s on balance sheet derivative exposure is higher than the combined share of Goldman Sachs ($74bn, or 115% of TEC), JP Morgan ($78bn, or 62% of TEC) and Morgan Stanley ($46bn, or 114% of TEC). What is more worrying is the quality of these derivative assets. Of the total notional value of credit derivatives (over half trillion $US bn), nearly 60% are non-investment grade. [Subject bank] has the highest proportion of non-investment grade credit derivatives followed by Citi Group (55%), GS (52%), Bank of America (37%) and JP Morgan (32%). The tables below as well as on the following page compare [subject bank]’s on-balance sheet derivative exposure...

http://boombustblog.com/BoomBustBlo...he-Bust-Will-Probably-Be-Taxpayer-Funded.html

I wonder if this could be related to the rumor I heard about a run on HSBC. I also wonder if the MBS derivative bomb is really what's driving the recent Fed indications for QE3.

And when they sell those derivatives to the Fed, the banks get recapitalized.

... the rumor I heard about a run on HSBC. ...

Possibly related?

... "Thousands of HSBC customers faced the ultimate embarrassment of having their cards declined this afternoon as the bank suffered a 'worldwide meltdown'. Fourty seven countries have potentially been affected in the world's second largest bank. Cards were rejected at tills, cash machines read that withdrawal limits for today had been reached, and the card enquiries phoneline was also down. Unsurprisingly there was pandemonium in HSBC branches up and down the country as people rushed to find out why their cards had rejected." ...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/hsbc-customers-impacted-worldwide-meltdown-all-retail-services

Wish I knew. It's hard to figure out the what's happening behind the scenes by just watching the stage.

A ZH poster said that his ATM card worked fine in NYC. Only useful thing I picked up out of all the posts in that thread.

Back
Top Bottom