Astronomy pictures thread

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Been thinking about what music to bring for my trip. I should definitely bring that album.

Not everything I bring will fit the theme but a few will:
Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
Pecos Hank - El Reno Blues (has Drive Under the Moon)
Echo and the Bunnymen Ocean Rain (has Killing Moon)
The Church starfish (has Under the Milkyway tonight)

I was a bit surprised how many people are acting confused about what direction the shadow moves during the eclipse. I suspect a lot of them aren't really confused about it but are grifting for views/interactions.

I was a bit surprised how many people are acting confused about what direction the shadow moves during the eclipse. I suspect a lot of them aren't really confused about it but are grifting for views/interactions.
We went through that during the last eclipse too. Prolly the same people this time around.
....but when half the people seem to not be able to remember what happened last week, we prolly shouldn't be too surprised. Lol

We went through that during the last eclipse too. Prolly the same people this time around.
....but when half the people seem to not be able to remember what happened last week, we prolly shouldn't be too surprised. Lol
lol. The big tell is that not one of them ever replies to a very easy to understand explanation saying anything to the effect that they understand the answer. They would rather pretend it is a big gotcha for the globe earth model. 🙄

... They would rather pretend it is a big gotcha for the globe earth model. 🙄
tenor.gif

lol. The big tell is that not one of them ever replies to a very easy to understand explanation saying anything to the effect that they understand the answer. They would rather pretend it is a big gotcha for the globe earth model. 🙄
I'm sure that somehow, chemtrails play a role in it too. lol

I never gave it a 2nd thought until that video.

Think about it. People are going to be looking where? Up, or down?

My money is on "UP"...

I know your pics are meant to focus on the sky, but the trees and house/barn/building at the bottom really add a nice anchor to your pics putting the sky into perspective. It's a very cool effect IMO.

I never gave it a 2nd thought until that video.

Think about it. People are going to be looking where? Up, or down?

My money is on "UP"...
I remember it being brought up on GIM2 back in '17 before that Eclipse. I think it was Sol, or one of those guys that he hangs with.

I know your pics are meant to focus on the sky, but the trees and house/barn/building at the bottom really add a nice anchor to your pics putting the sky into perspective. It's a very cool effect IMO.
Thanks! It's been fun finding compositions on my new property (moved here in October).

I really like that little building. I call it the chicken coup. It seems like it could have been used as one. It has depression era hollow brick, wood is painted classic barn color and it has a relatively new metal roof. It needs some fixing but it's a nice little building.

Meteors-2023-12-14-Combine1WithBGS.jpg

Another song to celebrate the eclipse (even though the event has passed):
Lafawnduh's going to take us to the place
Where we can stand and stare out into space
Cardboard goggles propped before our eyes
Sunburned faces gazing to the skies
Pops says it's like watching drying paint
We're impressed but obviously he ain't
Not really his idea of fun
Waiting for the moon to shield the sun

South of the path... of totality
South of the path... of totality

This was interesting

2024 Solar Eclipse from the Air​

1m

Here is an image from right after totality showing the "Baily's beads" effect and several prominences. Prominences are the red plasma features protruding from the sun.

This is just a quick crop/resize with no other editing.
SolarEclipse-2024-04-08-Img_0141-C1S.jpg

I vowed not take take camera equipment and just enjoy the experience.
We travelled up to Maine. Here a link to download a cell phone video (100+ meg) as the eclipse occured -
Also a cell phone shot showing Jupiter above and Venus below the Moon/Sun
It's complete with my stupid comments.20240408_153256.jpg

Here is an HDR composite I am working on. Really glad I was able to capture some better lunar surface detail this time. This is very much a work in progress. This stuff is going to keep me busy for days.

There are a number of butt-hurt flat earthers who keep trying to argue that it's not the moon causing the eclipse. :ROFLMAO:
SolarEclipse-2024-04-08-IMG_0121-0133-P1S.jpg

I vowed not take take camera equipment and just enjoy the experience.
We travelled up to Maine. Here a link to download a cell phone video (100+ meg) as the eclipse occured -
Also a cell phone shot showing Jupiter above and Venus below the Moon/Sun
It's complete with my stupid comments.View attachment 12600

Awesome! I am glad you got to experience it. I had things mostly automated so I did get to just take in the eclipse pretty well even though I had a real elaborate setup.

I regretted not taking any video during the 2017 eclipse so I had my little Sony RX0II recording, just facing up showing my telescope and the eclipse through totality. Mainly for the audio of the reactions. Eventually I'll have a video up on my youtube with that, time-lapses, etc.

Here is an image from right after totality showing the "Baily's beads" effect and several prominences. Prominences are the red plasma features protruding from the sun.

This is just a quick crop/resize with no other editing.
View attachment 12598
I love this shot Eric. The prominence was clearly visible throuout totality. It appeared at 7 o'clock visually. Excellent work.

The ride (552+ miles) up took 10+ hours, We left at 8PM and arrived at 5:30AM. The roads were empty. We left shortly after totality ended, my nephew had to work Tuesday evening. The only highway up near the venue was I-95, 162 miles of I-95. The ride back took 13 hours. The first 162 miles on I-95 took five hours, it should have taken 3 hours. The next eclipse in the USA will be in 2044, I will be in my 90's or deseased.
We were up and back with 32 hours, I had about 45 minutes of sleep the whole time we were gone.

A cell phone shot of Comet 12P/Pons-Brooks
That's actually pretty good. I got a wide view with my 24mm lens but the comet barely showed. I didn't spend too much time on it. Totality has a real knack for erasing my brain. I didn't even open up the aperture when I took a series of quick shots. Also I forgot to put my filters back on until almost a minute after totality! I don't think I damaged any sensors. :unsure:

I love this shot Eric. The prominence was clearly visible throuout totality. It appeared at 7 o'clock visually. Excellent work.
For some reason I didn't find the prominences as noticeable with this eclipse compared to 2017, even though photographically it definitely shows there was more activity. My guess is because this time I was expecting to see them unlike in 2017 when it came as a complete surprise.

The ride (552+ miles) up took 10+ hours, We left at 8PM and arrived at 5:30AM. The roads were empty. We left shortly after totality ended, my nephew had to work Tuesday evening. The only highway up near the venue was I-95, 162 miles of I-95. The ride back took 13 hours. The first 162 miles on I-95 took five hours, it should have taken 3 hours. The next eclipse in the USA will be in 2044, I will be in my 90's or deseased.
We were up and back with 32 hours, I had about 45 minutes of sleep the whole time we were gone.
I drove all the way to/from Poplar Bluff, Missouri in one stretch. It took almost 11 hours on the way there (2 days before the eclipse) and about 10 hours on the way back the day after. Biggest slow down was all the traffic around St. Louis.

I set up at a park just 5 miles from my hotel so that was pretty convenient. I chose the location because it had a lot of space an a lot of parking. I showed up 3 hours before the start of partial eclipse and even so the place was already pretty full.

I initially planned to set up at a different park about a half hour away but while doing last minute research I found out that it was reservation only. I had a couple further places in mind but spent some time the day before finding and scouting the place I ended up at.

I'm not expecting to be around for the 2044 eclipse. It could happen if I make it to 65 but given my family history I'm not betting on it.

For some reason I didn't find the prominences as noticeable with this eclipse compared to 2017,
Those were the main thing I noticed when looking at it through a telescope from my location. I could see several all around the Moon.

Those were the main thing I noticed when looking at it through a telescope from my location. I could see several all around the Moon.
I decided to just observe totality naked eye even though I brought my 11x70 binoculars which would have made them stand out. Yeah I could see them in 4 directions.

Back
Top Bottom