Astronomy pictures thread

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

EricTheCat

Big Eyed Bug
Benefactor
GIM2 Refugee
Reaction score
Now that I can post pics I figured I would get the Astronomy pictures thread started here. I look forward to other contributions.

Some of you already saw this pic from last week but it is a re-process with slightly less saturation.

M33 - The Triangulum Galaxy - Spiral galaxy in Triangulum
M33-2022-09-27-P2S.jpg
Date: 9/27/2022
Camera: Canon Rebel T8i(modified)
Telescope: 92mm f/5.5 triplet (Astrotech AT92) with focal reducer
Exposure: 80x300sec (6hr 40min total) at ISO 400
Acquired using BackyardEOS, stacked using DeepSkyStacker, Processed using PixInsight

Here is an annotated and cropped version using an average combine to show that I incidentally captured asteroid 7843 1994 YE1 in the above image.
M33-2022-09-27-P3-avg_AnnotatedC2S.jpg

Clear skies,
Eric

Now that I can post pics I figured I would get the Astronomy pictures thread started here. I look forward to other contributions.

Some of you already saw this pic from last week but it is a re-process with slightly less saturation.

View attachment 468
Acquired using BackyardEOS, stacked using DeepSkyStacker, Processed using PixInsight

Here is an annotated and cropped version using an average combine to show that I incidentally captured asteroid 7843 1994 YE1 in the above image.
View attachment 469

Clear skies,
Eric
FANTASTIC ERIC ! ! 💫

Given the weather think I'll add some older pics.

Perseid Meteor over Lake Superior 8/13/2018. Recently re-processed this one and was able to cut down on the noise enough to bring the levels up a bit revealing more shore detail.

Meteor-2018-08-13-IMG_1549-Reprocess-P2S.jpg

View attachment 468

View attachment 469

Clear skies,
Eric
Even I can see it now.

These are from the trip of my lifetime. Total solar eclipse from Casper Wyoming 8/21/2017.

Partially eclipsed showing sunspots.
SolarEclipse-2017-08-21-024S.jpg

Totality
SOLARECLIPSE_LIGHT_Tv1-2000s_200iso_+28c_00808stdev_20170821-11h45m06s872msS.jpg

At the very end of totality showing the "Baily's beads" effect.
SOLARECLIPSE_LIGHT_Tv1-3200s_200iso_+28c_00992stdev_20170821-11h45m32s394msS.jpg

This pic was over exposed in order to (barely) show some lunar surface detail.
SolarEclipse-2017-08-21-1-8s_200iso_+28c_06744stdev_20170821-11h43m55S.jpg

HDR image by combining multiple exposures of varying lengths
SolarEclipse-2017-08-21-HDRP14cS.jpg

I haven't been doing much telescoping lately, took a little time out. I just reprocessed this image of Barnard-143.
It in the Milkyway region (our universe) hence the rich star field. This young man's image shows a wide field image containing B143 middle right.

Frames:
Blue: 12×600″(2h) bin 1×1
Green: 12×600″(2h) bin 1×1
Red: 12×600″(2h) bin 1×1
Integration:6h

Image10_ABE1_clone.jpg

Orionid meteors from this morning and yesterday morning.

Orionid meteors are pieces of Haley's comet burning up in Earth's atmosphere as we move through an area of debris left by the comet.

Meteor-2022-10-21-IMG_7223S.jpg

Meteor-2022-10-21-IMG_7337S.jpg

Meteor-2022-10-21-IMG_8404S.jpg

Meteor-2022-10-21-IMG_8480S.jpg

Meteor-2022-10-21-IMG_8567S.jpg

Meteor-2022-10-20-IMG_5422S.jpg

Camera: Canon T8i (modified)
Lens: Sigma 28mm f/1.4
Exposure: 5sec at f/1.4 and ISO 3200
Date: 10/20/2022-20/22/2022

Took a hike to the river again last night.

The bright light is shining at a local park. I'm sitting on the cliffs where the river normally is.The river is almost completely dried up.

Screenshot_20221023-181033_1.png

While there, downloaded the sky map app thingy. When pointing towards Orion, saw this and had no idea what it represented. Got home and learned that it is a section of sky "littered with space debris from Haley's Comet. Still remember clearly camping out at my Elementary School when it came by almost 40 years ago.

Screenshot_20221022-214239_1.png

Took a hike to the river again last night.

The bright light is shining at a local park. I'm sitting on the cliffs where the river normally is.The river is almost completely dried up.

View attachment 1524

While there, downloaded the sky map app thingy. When pointing towards Orion, saw this and had no idea what it represented. Got home and learned that it is a section of sky "littered with space debris from Haley's Comet. Still remember clearly camping out at my Elementary School when it came by almost 40 years ago.

View attachment 1522

That point it identifies is the radiant of the meteor shower. If you trace the trail of a meteor back from it's origin it will roughly point toward the radiant. The meteor itself may or may not appear in the area of the radiant itself, just that the direction of travel will point away from the radiant.

I hope that makes sense. Don't get too overwhelmed. Weather should do a good job at throttling those of us who take astro pics from submitting too many too quickly. :)

Last edited:
That point it identifies it the radiant of the meteor shower. If you trace the trail of a meteor back from it's origin it will roughly point toward the radiant. The meteor itself may or may not appear in the area of the radiant itself, just that the direction of travel will point away from the radiant.

I hope that makes sense. Don't get too overwhelmed. Weather should do a good job at throttling those of us who take astro pics from submitting too many too quickly. :)
(y) ✨🪐🌟💫

Oh. And this:

Got home and learned that it is a section of sky "littered with space debris from Haley's Comet. Still remember clearly camping out at my Elementary School when it came by almost 40 years ago.
Jeez. Jeeeeez. My kids were grown and gone by then. I am older than my grandmother.

A heads up for the night sky fans. The morning of November 8th there will be a total lunar eclipse. Yes, a "bloodmoon" on the morning of election day. In case we needed an omen. 🌘

Notes for upcoming lunar eclipse Central Standard Time, 11/8/2022
3:09 AM Partial eclipse begins
4:16 AM Totality begins
4:59 AM Mid-eclipse
5:41 AM Totality ends
6:49 AM partial eclipse ends

Last lunar eclipse, 5/15/22:
LunarEclipse-2022-05-15.gif

LunarEclipse-2022-05-15-00079C1SS.jpg

Thanks Eric, but not for me in NY. I hope your weather is good.

Steve

Thanks Eric, but not for me in NY. I hope your weather is good.

Steve
You should be able to see totality there if you have a view to the West. However, the moon will set during totality where you are.

Forecast doesn't look so good here. That could change.

Rat's ass. Hey! You prolly got the equipment, hit "REPLAY" and get a do-over without clouds.

Had just a touch of luck. Clouded out completely near the start of the partial phase. Moon peaked out just once during partial. Then it didn't peak out again until just after totality when the moon was too low from my telescope location so I switched to lens and tripod in case it peaked out.

Before eclipse, full moon
Moon-2022-11-08-IMG_6827S.jpg

Beginning of penumbral phase
LunarEclipse-2022-11-08-IMG_6829S.jpg

The one frame I got of the partial phase between clouds.
LunarEclipse-2022-11-08-IMG_6851S.jpg

Just after totality peaking through the clouds using 100-400mm lens at 100mm
LunarEclipse-2022-11-08-IMG_6856S.jpg

Not as good as I hoped but glad I came away with something.

Had just a touch of luck. Clouded out completely near the start of the partial phase. Moon peaked out just once during partial. Then it didn't peak out again until just after totality when the moon was too low from my telescope location so I switched to lens and tripod in case it peaked out.

Before eclipse, full moon
View attachment 2471

Beginning of penumbral phase
View attachment 2472

The one frame I got of the partial phase between clouds.
View attachment 2473

Just after totality peaking through the clouds using 100-400mm lens at 100mm
View attachment 2474

Not as good as I hoped but glad I came away with something.
I superimposed #4 onto #1
Screenshot_20221108-101124~2.png

Same here. Clouded up right at the start of the partial phase.

That is what happened to me during the last lunar eclipse. Was supposed to start entering the shadow at 8:30PM, but clouded up within a few minutes time.
....but I still wonder why it looked so red/orange prior to it entering any part of the Earth's shadow. Looked almost like the pic in your post #20. With the exception of it being brighter.
....and it wasn't just me and/or my eyes seeing it wrong. Four other people with me saw the same thing and all commented about how it looked. A bright orangey red Moon just after it rose, but also just prior to it entering the shadow.

That is what happened to me during the last lunar eclipse. Was supposed to start entering the shadow at 8:30PM, but clouded up within a few minutes time.
....but I still wonder why it looked so red/orange prior to it entering any part of the Earth's shadow. Looked almost like the pic in your post #20. With the exception of it being brighter.
....and it wasn't just me and/or my eyes seeing it wrong. Four other people with me saw the same thing and all commented about how it looked. A bright orangey red Moon just after it rose, but also just prior to it entering the shadow.
That's why it's called a Blood Moon.

In my understanding the hue is a natural artifact of the diffused sun. Ie: why many sunsets become very vivid and take on a similar reddish/copper tone.

That's why it's called a Blood Moon.

In my understanding the hue is a natural artifact of the diffused sun. Ie: why many sunsets become very vivid and take on a similar reddish/copper tone.
So you are saying it was due to the setting Sun? I was thinking that was why, but I've seen the full Moon rise at Sunset before, but cannot recall seeing it look as orangey/red as it did that evening.

It looked like it does at max lunar eclipse, only brighter.

I really wish I had taken a pic of it.

Back
Top Bottom