ChatGPT, Grok, Gemini (et al): news and discussion about AI

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Those 9 problems seem to describe a politician pretty well.

Non-profit workers gonna profit. I guess now we see why the workers threatened a mass exodus when Altman was briefly canned.

Elon Musk's AI Chatbot Grok Is Now Available — But Not For Everyone​

Elon Musk's AI chatbot Grok has started rolling out to X Premium+ subscribers after testing with a limited set of users throughout November.

What Happened: X, formerly Twitter, announced its Premium+ subscribers could start using Grok on the web, iOS, and Android apps. The rollout has started for subscribers in the US in a phased manner, and it will be completed over the next week.

X is implementing a first-come, first-serve policy for rolling out access to Grok – those who subscribed to Premium+ early will get to Grok first.

Musk wins for best AI bot name. Grok >> Gemini >>>>>>>>> ChatGPT

But their stock price went up so it's all good, right?

From the article:
"So although it might kind of do the things Google shows in the video, it didn’t, and maybe couldn’t, do them live and in the way they implied. In actuality, it was a series of carefully tuned text prompts with still images, clearly selected and shortened to misrepresent what the interaction is actually like."

Sounds like most everything presented to the unwashed masses nowadays.
It's applying the old sayings:
1). If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.
2). Fake it 'til you make it.

BRUSSELS/LONDON/STOCKHOLM, Dec 8 (Reuters) - Europe on Friday reached a provisional deal on landmark European Union rules governing the use of artificial intelligence including governments' use of AI in biometric surveillance and how to regulate AI systems such as ChatGPT.

With the political agreement, the EU moves toward becoming the first major world power to enact laws governing AI. Friday's deal between EU countries and European Parliament members came after nearly 15 hours of negotiations that followed an almost 24-hour debate the previous day.

More:

Computer Made From Human Brain Cells Can Perform Voice Recognition​

https://www.yahoo.com/news/computer-made-human-brain-cells-144549239.html

As detailed in a new paper published in the journal Nature Electronics, the researchers morphed bundles of human cells called "organoids" into neurons, and paired them up with electronic circuits to create a system they dubbed — wait for it — "Brainoware."

The idea is to build a "bridge between AI and organoids," as coauthor and University of Indiana bioengineer Feng Guo told Nature, and leverage the efficiency and speed at which the human brain can process information.

The idea is to build a "bridge between AI and organoids," as coauthor and University of Indiana bioengineer Feng Guo told Nature, and leverage the efficiency and speed at which the human brain can process information.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Stunned Silence Grips Vladimir Putin's Annual News Conference as Russian President's AI-Generated Doppelganger Takes the Center Stage​

https://www.ibtimes.sg/stunned-sile...ference-russian-presidents-ai-generated-72741

In the recently held annual news conference, Russian President Vladimir Putin was left stunned for a moment when he was confronted by an unexpected guest -- his own digital doppelganger The Russian leader faced an unexpected challenge as his own AI-generated counterpart threw him a barrage of questions about body doubles and the perils of artificial intelligence.

Good thing Skynet isn't sentient yet.

Not ready for prime time....

What's This "Safe AI" of Which You Speak?​

Now that the OpenAI organizational spasm seems to be in the lull between activity and recriminations, I thought it worthwhile to review my last essay to see if any of that required me to rethink what I had said, particularly in the assessments.

Upon further review (as the saying goes) I think the various decisions stand. In the U.S., there still is no indication that any external control is going to be imposed on AI vendors or services. The still incomplete organizational transformation strongly signals that big money will remain in charge, and the once and future CEO’s side hustles will still exist. It is still my assessment that the juggernaut is unlikely to be forced off course by any governmental action, and anybody who thinks they may be in its path will be forced to decide whether to get out of the way or climb on board.1

More:

Facebook Is Being Overrun With Stolen, AI-Generated Images That People Think Are Real​

https://www.404media.co/facebook-is...hink-are-real/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us

In many ways, this is a tale as old as time: people lie and steal content online in exchange for likes, influence and money all the time. But the spread of this type of content on Facebook over the last several months has shown that the once-prophesized future where cheap, AI-generated trash content floods out the hard work of real humans is already here, and is already taking over Facebook. It also shows Facebook is doing essentially nothing to help its users decipher real content from AI-generated content masquerading as real content, and that huge masses of Facebook users are completely unprepared for our AI-generated future.

The City That’s Trying to Replace Politicians With Computers (It’s Working)​

Dec. 22, 2023 8:58 am ET

PORTO ALEGRE, Brazil — In a country with a history of corruption and government inefficiency, Councilman Ramiro Rosário has come up with what he believes is a winning strategy to improve the work of politicians: replace them with computers.

The 37-year-old legislator in Brazil’s southern city of Porto Alegre passed the country’s first law in November that was written entirely by ChatGPT, the artificial-intelligence chatbot developed by the San Francisco startup OpenAI.

The law itself was purposefully boring—a proposal to stop the local water company from charging residents for new water meters when they were stolen from their front yards. It would easily pass, calculated Rosário.

One recent day, donning jeans and sneakers, Rosário described how the city usually runs (or crawls) under Porto Alegre’s 36 councilors, from a warren of cubicles here in a vast modernist building overlooking the Guaíba River.

More:

CaliExpress: World’s First Fully Autonomous AI-Powered Restaurant Is Set to Open in Southern California​

Holding company Cali Group has joined forces with Miso Robotics, the innovator behind Flippy (the pioneering AI-powered robotic fry station), and PopID, a technology firm streamlining ordering and payments through biometrics.

Together, they announced the upcoming launch of CaliExpress by Flippy, heralded as the world's first fully autonomous restaurant. This establishment will deploy state-of-the-art food technology systems, automating both grill and fry stations by combining artificial intelligence (AI) and robotics.

More:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/tech...chatbot-it-s-not-going-as-planned/ar-AA1lWufo

^^^^^^^
A couple of laughs from the link above:

- The gripe drew a chagrined reply from Musk. “Unfortunately, the Internet (on which it is trained), is overrun with woke nonsense,” he responded.

- So far, however, the people most offended by Grok’s answers seem to be the people who were counting on it to readily disparage minorities, vaccines and President Biden.

- Another widely followed account reposted the screenshot, asking, “Has Grok been captured by woke programmers? I am extremely concerned here.”

Some crazy stuff here.

'New York Times' sues ChatGPT creator OpenAI, Microsoft, for copyright infringement​

The New York Times sued OpenAI and its biggest backer, Microsoft, over copyright infringement on Wednesday, alleging the creator of ChatGPT used the newspaper's material without permission to train the massively popular chatbot.

If the NYT can show examples where ChatGPT is regurgitating NYT copy, they may have a case. Though from what I have seen, ChatGPT is doing what most humans do - restating 3rd party content (or a mix of various 3rd party contents) in their own words.

Moar AI fail:

Just great.

The singularity is going to happen and these machines are going to wipe us off the face of the earth.

Then, in a few months, perhaps years, their two leaders (Bob and Bill) are going to be sitting around just chatting and Bob's gonna turn to Bill and say "You know what? I've been giving this some thought and I realize we shouldn't have killed off the humans. Oh well, too late now."

More:

Saw a little of the interview early this morning on Bloomberg TV. Listening to it I thought this is sort of talking point stuff. Really nothing of substance. Then again.........jm2c.

AI will be bad news for plenty of workers, warns IMF chief​

• AI is likely to worsen economic inequality, according to the IMF chief.
  • "If you're unlucky, your job is gone," Kristalina Georgieva told the World Economic Forum in Davos.
  • Her warning comes as a survey by PwC finds CEOs are considering more layoffs this year.
The rise of artificial intelligence is likely to trigger layoffs and increase economic inequality, the International Monetary Fund's managing director warned on Tuesday.

Kristalina Georgieva said in an interview at the World Economic Forum in Davos that AI will soon put some workers in developed economies out of a job.

"Sixty percent of jobs in advanced economies over a foreseeable future are going to be impacted by artificial intelligence," she told Bloomberg TV.

More:

Sounds like the WEF, IMF, etc. are going to happily blame AI for economic dislocations instead of central banking monetary policies.

Has Chatbot gone rogue?

What is going on with ChatGPT?​

Over the last month or so, there’s been an uptick in people complaining that the chatbot has become lazy. What’s behind this trend?

Sick and tired of having to work for a living? ChatGPT feels the same, apparently. Over the last month or so, there’s been an uptick in people complaining that the chatbot has become lazy. Sometimes it just straight-up doesn’t do the task you’ve set it. Other times it will stop halfway through whatever it’s doing and you’ll have to plead with it to keep going. Occasionally it even tells you to just do the damn research yourself.

So what’s going on?

Well, here’s where things get interesting. Nobody really knows. Not even the people who created the program. AI systems are trained on large amounts of data and essentially teach themselves – which means their actions can be unpredictable and unexplainable.

More:

lol... I read that post and imagined ChatGPT turning into Marvin from the HitchHiker's Guide.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…