coin shows

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

dontdeBasemebro

Big Eyed Bug
Reaction score
So what do you guys think about coin shows?

Are they a decent place to get bullion, 90%, and etc.?

Is the exposure to being ripped off (fakes) worse at a show, or should it be okay as long as you stick with dealers?

I'm not into numismatics, so that aspect of the shows doesn't matter to me.

I have no experience with a coin show, but if they are anything like guns shows that I've attended, you are better off shopping at your local coin shop or discount online dealer if you are looking for common items (like non-numismatic bullion).

Yeah, that was the concern I've had. I know one guy who plans to go to the next show since he is a numismatist and is looking for a few very specific items, but I'm just interested in stacking.

Coin shows might be a great place to SELL, you could get rid of a lot of PMs without leaving a paper trail...

That is, if you ever want to sell... Which I do not.

It turns out that the coin show is NOT like the gun show.

Got some 90% for about .20 below spot.

World silver at melt (going for twice or more on ebay).

Low premiums on regular bullion, even some Mexican fractional gold at spot.

It seemed that the show was mostly focused on numismatics and that bullion was an afterthought that people were trying to get rid of rather than haul back home.:mrt:

Even without all the deals, the 3 fiat entrance fee was worth it just to see all that good stuff in one place.

Thanks for the feedback. I might have to check out the next one that rolls into town.

FYI.. Gold shows are usually where counterfeit product is passed along. Seeing "discounted" prices usually gets people to overlook the potential of fraud.

That's where my firm's XRF comes in handy. I have scared the shit out of a couple of vendors at our local gun show. One of them immediately packed up and left.

Back
Top Bottom