Coins with a "privy"

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cybrsk8r

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
I pretty much buy silver for the metal content, not for neumismatic value. But I'd be lying if I said I don't favor a good-looking coin/round.

Having said that, what are your thoughts on coins with a "privy"? I think privies are kind of stupid, and essentially a way to try to boost the sale price of the coin. In the end, do privies have any real effect on the re-sale value of a coin?

What is a "privy"? A numismatic premium?

I have some Kookaburras with US State privy marks. This is a small round imprint with varied designs on the front of the coins. They are limited strike, with each privy something like 5,000 total in the run. They were done for a number of years and bring a super fat premium. I have thirty two with the Delaware privy, and that's after selling thirty eight for 80 dollars each when spot was 36 +/-.

The buyer also paid for USPS overnight shipping and all insurance.

Ah, I see. The privy is the mint mark.

I'd say numismatics are for optimists (like DCRB's platinum). The numismatic premium only holds up as long as the economy does well and folks have disposable income to collect things.

No, it is not a mint mark Bug [although the mint is where they stamp it on I suppose], more a tribute. I will try and find a picture online to post.

Here is a Maple with a snake privy. 2013 is the year of the snake (I think). Maples and Australian coins are the only coins I've seen them on. See the small snake next to the stem of the leaf.

Attachments

• Privy.jpg
    Privy.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1
Yup, that's kind of like the Kooks except the Perth Mint places it at the top right or top left on the coin face. What kind of premium dis you have to pay?

OK. It's a mark that helps denote a certain run of mintage then. Scarcity of the run would then be a factor in numismatic premiums for collectors. I stand by my earlier comment.

Back
Top Bottom