Counterfeit Prospectors

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Zero Hedge´s ¨Rocky Racoon¨ once informed me that there are counterfeit Chinese-made Eagles circulating in Asia. IIRC, they ARE made of silver, but fakes.

If the fake Prospectors are silver (drop then 3 inches from the floor to hear their ring), then they would not be a total loss. Unless mixed with lead, etc. But that might be detectable (at least re lead) because of the other metals´properties.

I remember in an earlier thread here at pmbug.com that video about fake NUMISMATIC gold coins coming from China.

This whole counterfeiting thing is starting to ¨chap my a$$¨, as we have even had our Korean BEARINGS counterfeited (marking cheapo Chinese as Korean).

Here's my question about this. Suppose someone tried to sell some of these to a reputable online dealer. Would the dealer check? Would the dealer notice?

I would hope that the dealer would check and/or notice, but does anyone have any hard facts about what is the standard procedure for a reputable dealer when buying silver and gold bullion from an individual?

Here's my question about this. Suppose someone tried to sell some of these to a reputable online dealer. Would the dealer check? Would the dealer notice?

I would hope so! Much like the fake Maples discussed earlier, the mistakes should be obvious to an experienced dealer.

According to the conversation at the link provided above, some dealer was hoodwinked and bought them, but discovered the problem before selling to the public.

I looked at these on Goldmart. Guess I don't want one after all.

I own some (real) Prospectors. They are nice rounds and very liquid - probably why they were targeted for counterfeiting.

Back
Top Bottom