Farage on a potential Brexit

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States

Inquiring minds are listening to an interesting Interview with Nigel Farage on the "Brexit". For those unfamiliar with the term, "Brexit" means a United Kingdom (British) exit from the EU.
Click on the first link to play the podacast with the always entertaining Farage, to hear what he has to say to GoldMoney interviewer Andy Duncan regarding the ongoing euro currency situation and the recent speeches from Mr Barroso, the President of the European Commission.

They also discuss the recent news of the German Bundesbank's decision to repatriate some of its physical gold reserves from the USA and France, and the chances of the “Brexit” in the next few years, as well as the likely fate of the euro and the EU itself.

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2013/01/brexit-talk-with-nigel-farage.html

Brexit discussion starts ~7:50

France would "roll out the red carpet" if Britain decided to leave the European Union, the country's foreign minister has said, as David Cameron promised to give Britons a straight referendum choice on whether to stay in the 27-nation bloc or leave.
Mr Cameron promised on Wednesday to give Britons a straight referendum choice on whether to stay in the European Union or leave, provided he wins an election in 2015.

He ended months of speculation by announcing in a speech the plan for a vote sometime between 2015 and 2018, shrugging off warnings that this could imperil Britain's diplomatic and economic prospects and alienate its allies.

But Mr Cameron said Britain did not want to pull up the drawbridge and retreat from the world but that public disillusionment with the EU is at "an all-time high".

"It is time for the British people to have their say. It is time for us to settle this question about Britain and Europe," Cameron said. His Conservative party would campaign for the 2015 election promising to renegotiate Britain's EU membership.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-the-red-carpet-for-British-exit-from-EU.html

We just can hope that the Brits don't fall for Cameron's snake oil salesmen trick and vote for UKIP instead.

sadly, apart from Farage, UKIP are a pretty useless lot ..........

I could not name another member

In recent elections I have used my vote to support UKIP, as it sends a message more strongly than a spoiled ballot paper or not voting.

Tinfoil hat = on.

Most countries, no longer have national sovereignty. We know that since the Banksters/Elitists print the money and enslave countries with debt, ultimately they call the shots.

The EU was an Elitist thrust toward one world government. Britain has deep roots in the Banksters' world financial system.

So why would Britain exit the EU; surely not of their own accord, but by directive from the Elitists. The question is why? What is the Elitists' motive in exiting Britain from the EU?

Tinfoil hat = off.

I think the elitists know that when the balloon goes up, the People will come after the financial centers with a serious vengeance, and they do not want the EU to be associated with the evil banks at that point, since they will have already looted all the hard assets, leaving worthless paper promises stacked in Londons vaults.

JMHO

I think the elitists know that when the balloon goes up, the People will come after the financial centers with a serious vengeance, and they do not want the EU to be associated with the evil banks at that point, since they will have already looted all the hard assets, leaving worthless paper promises stacked in Londons vaults.

JMHO

elitists with a small e, people with a capital P. I like that, and will follow suit.

Brexit vote is tomorrow (or maybe late tonight with time zone differences).

Heh

I am having a really good day !

Never thought we would see this day ......

Feels like the power base of the elites is crumbling (-:

French National Front leader Marine Le Pen calls for EU membership referendum in France

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/746213062206595072

Thursday, June 23, 2016, will go down in history as Britain’s Independence Day. The Europhile elite has been defeated. Britain points Europe the way to the future and to liberation. It is time for a new start, relying on our own strength and sovereignty. Also in the Netherlands.

A recent survey (EenVandaag, Dutch television) shows that a majority of the Dutch want a referendum on EU membership. It also shows that more Dutch are in favour of exit than of remaining in the EU.

The Dutch people deserve a referendum as well. The Party for Freedom consequently demands a referendum on NExit, a Dutch EU exit. ...

http://geertwilders.nl/index.php/94-english/1999-pvv-congratulates-british-with-independence-day

I was thinking they must have gotten a shipment of the special sunglasses a few days before the vote.

So what is the word on the street in you neck of the woods, rblong? I don't mean media reports. What are you seeing/hearing locally?

The younger generation seem genuinely gutted and truly believe that the older generation have destroyed their future.

The older ones just feel a sense of relief that after 30 years of promising referendums we've finally been heard.

Most have no clue that the market meltdown was only a matter of time.

And its not clear just what happens next which adds to everyones uncertainty.

Brexit will be blamed for everything bad that happens everywhere .....

How about not having to listen to Germans still suffering with nazi guilt allowing terrorists in to europe en mass which also means they get to go anywhere in europe. It's funny how fast the left started screaming racism at the brits.

How about not having to listen to Germans still suffering with nazi guilt ....

Haven't come across any guilt in those alive today but I am aware that they have always had difficulty accepting non white folk as equal.
They just learnt to be PC about it.

( disclosure - My mother was german and met my father who was in the occupying forces in germany after ww2, so I am able to comment )

My father (German/Austrian) still hasn't learned to be PC about it. He's pushing 80 now, so I don't expect that will ever change.

~~~

rblong - so locally, the sentiment is there is a divide between the old and young? Do folks buy into the narrative that the old voted for leave because they are racist/xenophobic?

I assume you saw this bit on ZH the other day:
Deutsche Bank analyst said:
It's worth looking at the voting split in the UK's EU referendum based on polls compiled by Lord Ashcroft to get an idea of the disenfranchisement. In terms of socio-economic groups, 57% of ABs (upper/middle class - professional/managers etc) voted remain, 49% of C1s (lower middle class - supervisory/clerical or junior management/administrative), 36% of C2s (skilled working class) and 36% of DEs (Ds - semi & unskilled manual workers. Es - casual/lowest grade worker or state pensioner). So there's no escaping the fact that this is a class war. Whether its globalisation, immigration, inequality, poor economic growth or a combination of all of them it's quite clear from this and other anti-establishment movements that the status quo can't last in a democracy. Eventually you'll have a reaction. ...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-06-27/deutsche-bank-theres-no-escaping-fact-class-war

Haven't come across any guilt in those alive today but I am aware that they have always had difficulty accepting non white folk as equal.

( disclosure - My mother was german and met my father who was in the occupying forces in germany after ww2, so I am able to comment )

Angela Merkel is a prime example Also in the '72 Olympics it was on full display as they were so terrified to have any police or military presence, especially around the Israeli team that it resulted in that catastrophe. When I was stationed there, the whole topic of anything in regards to Nazi's, Hitler, WWII or Jews made any of the krauts I tried bringing up the topic become red faced and try to change the subject.

so locally, the sentiment is there is a divide between the old and young? Do folks buy into the narrative that the old voted for leave because they are racist/xenophobic?

Im sure theres plenty of racist/xenophobic attitude in both the young and the old but Im leaning towards the idea that the younger folk seem to get a lot of their thoughts and ideas from social media ( mainly Facebook ) and FB seems to be happy to tilt the conversation.
Its the only rational explanation for why a whole generation suddenly wanted to help the refugees in Calais........
They do not follow the traditional mainstream media but the controllers seem to have their ear via social media.

Meanwhile the older ones are aware of the years of broken promises regarding the EU and possibly have the time to reflect on how the original concept of peace in Europe has meant we handed over sovereignty to faceless and unaccountable bureaucrats.

My prediction is that there will be a fudge and we do not actually withdraw from Europe because I don't think the political will is there.
Its potentially a poisoned chalice and there really aren't enough in Westminster who will be prepared to take the risk.

Angela Merkel is a prime example Also in the '72 Olympics it was on full display as they were so terrified to have any police or military presence, especially around the Israeli team that it resulted in that catastrophe. When I was stationed there, the whole topic of anything in regards to Nazi's, Hitler, WWII or Jews made any of the krauts I tried bringing up the topic become red faced and try to change the subject.

Yes in 72 you could pick up on the guilt but thats now nearly 45 years ago ......

And Im still suspicious that a female German cousin of mine was involved with the Bader Meinhof group, who created a new kind of terrorism :paperbag:

The shape of the Brexit is still yet to be determined. Some posturing and politicking going on...
Mario Draghi has become the latest European official to push for the EU to take a tough line in negotiations with the UK over Brexit, saying Britain should be refused access to the single market unless it sticks to rules on free movement of labour.

“Regardless of the type of relationship that emerges between the European Union and the United Kingdom, it is of utmost importance that the integrity of the single market is respected,” Mr Draghi said, speaking at the European Parliament on Monday. “Any outcome should ensure that all participants are subject to the same rules.”

Referring to rules on the free movement of labour, capital, goods and services, the ECB president said: “The four freedoms go all together. That’s clear.”

Mr Draghi added: “How we come out of this position will impinge on the stability of the union in future.” Allowing the UK to skirt the rules would weaken the EU’s strength in years to come, he said.
It might feel good to rattle sabers, but nothing good can possibly come of it. The risk of a hard Brexit is very real, and it’s a two-way street.

If the UK loses access to the “single market”, the EU will find itself losing exports to the UK.

No one wins these kinds of trade wars, but the EU will lose far more.

More: https://mishtalk.com/2016/09/26/dra...global-trade-collapse-with-brexit-tough-talk/

Free movement of labour will still be in place.

The difference will be that there will have to be a need for an employer to fill a place.
i.e. the job must exist before the movement of the person to filling it.

Ok a bit more paperwork if its a non UK being offered the job but the employer is free to choose who he offers the job to.

And when they are no longer required, they go home.

A big difference between economic migration in the hope of betterment and having the skills to do a specific task.

The U.K. cabinet is bitterly divided over Brexit, and the Irish border isn’t the only problem.

It’s tempting to think Prime Minister Theresa May’s only difficulty in the Brexit negotiations is to find a solution to the Irish border conundrum. After all, it’s the only substantial question left to resolve in the U.K.’s divorce treaty, which needs to be finalized within the next few weeks. But the inability to find answers may be a symptom of a wider problem.

As Tim Ross reports today, two factions in May’s cabinet are battling over the issue of how to avoid customs checks at the Irish frontier without tying the U.K. into the European Union’s trade regime forever. The EU says there must be a “backstop” – an insurance policy that will keep the border invisible “unless or until” a better future post-Brexit arrangement is agreed.

The “unless or until” language, first mentioned in the EU’s plan for the Irish border backstop in February, highlights May’s difficulty. The U.K. doesn’t have an agreed clear vision for what it wants its future relationship to look like, and while this remains the case it’s difficult for May to get political buy-in for any version of the backstop. While the government remains divided over how close the U.K. should be to the EU after Brexit, any backup plan for Ireland doesn’t look quite as temporary as it otherwise might.

Negotiators are looking at various ways to help May make the Irish backstop more sellable. Brexit-backers in her cabinet are demanding a legally binding mechanism to pull Britain out. They fear that the U.K. will stay tied in a customs union with the bloc indefinitely, preventing the country from striking new trade deals around the world – a key prize of Brexit for those who campaigned for it.

That’s unlikely to wash with the EU, which says that the backstop can work as an insurance policy only if the “unless or until” language remains. At a summit in Brussels last week, May offered further compromises, pledging to consider extending the U.K.’s post-Brexit transition period and to drop her demand for a strict end-date to the backstop. It still isn’t enough and, as with May losing control over the warring factions within her team, it’s why many EU member states now struggle to see how May can push any reasonable negotiated accord through Parliament.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-26/brexit-bulletin-a-bigger-problem

Sadiq Khan warned the EU to brace for Brexit to be delayed today - as Theresa May put off a Cabinet showdown over her Irish border plan.

The London Mayor told Michel Barnier to be ready to postpone the March deadline as he held talks with the negotiator in Brussels.

He said an extension to the Article 50 process could well be needed while a second referendum or election is held.

The intervention came as Remainers ramped up their campaign to block Brexit as negotiations reach crunch point.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...tml?ns_mchannel=rss&ito=1490&ns_campaign=1490

So, it's been a few weeks since I looked for news on Brexit. Has anything changed? Apparently not...

Nicola Sturgeon has claimed that the draft Brexit agreement between the UK and EU would be bad for Scotland as her party pledged to oppose the deal.

Scotland's first minister said the proposals would take Scotland out of the single market while Northern Ireland effectively stays in.

This would have a "devastating" impact on jobs and investment in Scotland, she insisted.

The prime minister is currently hosting a cabinet meeting in Downing Street.

But her Brexit deal proposals, which have not yet been published, are already facing strong opposition from senior Brexiteers and some Remain supporters.

The BBC's Norman Smith said Theresa May would seek to head off the threat of any resignations by telling her ministers that while not perfect, the agreement was as good as it can get.

Ahead of the cabinet meeting, Mrs May told Prime Minister's Questions that the UK is now "significantly closer" to delivering on the result of the Brexit vote,

However the Democratic Unionist Party, which props up her minority Conservative government, has warned that the deal could lead to the break-up of the United Kingdom if it is accepted by MPs.

More: https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-46207184

Back
Top Bottom