Firearms Thread-Questions-Answers & Pictures

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Last edited:
We had a version of that when I was growing up in Pennsylvania. It was called a gun safety course and you had to pass it before you could get your first hunting license. Only requirements were that you were at least 12 years of age. I think that every 12 year old boy and girl in Pennsylvania took and passed that course. At least, in my neck of the woods, they did.
I took that class! Still have the 40+ year old hunter orange card they gave me to prove it. Found it when moving last year :)

It's a right of passage when you are growing up in Pennsylvania. They close the schools on the first day of deer season because there wouldn't be anyone there anyway.

Auctioned revolver nets nearly $1M. Previous owner: Theodore Roosevelt​

By Jon Simkins

A Smith & Wesson revolver belonging to former President Theodore Roosevelt fetched a handsome price when the brisk chant of the Rock Island Auction Company’s auctioneer finally came to an oxygen-saving conclusion.

The weapon, which netted a staggering $910,625 by the time the auctioneer’s gavel signaled the final bid, is a .38 Long Colt-chambered No. 3 single-action revolver that was presented to then-Col. Roosevelt on May 12, 1898, a day that coincides with his departure for San Antonio to train with the Rough Riders for eventual combat against Spanish forces in Cuba.

More:

The new owner needs to install some peal grips and a red dot.

You are gonna have fun with it.

I note it is .50 cal. Is that round shot or conical? <-- The twist rate is different for the same caliber with these. Gotta shoot the right kind of bullet or it will not be accurate atall.

I love the breech thingy. All my BP rifles are plain stokers.

You are gonna have fun with it.

I note it is .50 cal. Is that round shot or conical? <-- The twist rate is different for the same caliber with these. Gotta shoot the right kind of bullet or it will not be accurate atall.

I love the breech thingy. All my BP rifles are plain stokers.
Cone heads.

20221224_130356.jpg

I had to take a course to get my hunting license for shotgun. A separate one for rifle. Another one for black powder. Once again for bow. And finally one for trapping & skinning. Still have all my licenses.

I had to take a course to get my hunting license for shotgun. A separate one for rifle. Another one for black powder. Once again for bow. And finally one for trapping & skinning. Still have all my licenses.
You are a gun and hunting PHD.

Curious your state.....I live in a fairly free state I only need the specific hunting licenses to take game none required for specific methods and no classes etc

You are a gun and hunting PHD.
Free courses. :)

Actually there are 2 trapping licenses, one of traps and one for snares. You have to trap for 1 year before you can take the snare course. I stopped at trapping.

Bought a PUG today. My carry gun is getting just too heavy if I am wearing shorts (which I am 90% of the time). This one weighs 6 fargin ounces. You cannot even feel it in your pocket.

Cute little thing. 5-shot, but this ole sojer does not trust their self-proclaimed "brilliant" half-cock solution for hammer strike firing hazard. So I do the old fashioned "empty chamber" thing. <-- That can't fail...

Jeez. If I can't get a perp five feet away with four shots, I shoulda stood at home.
1673127608768.png

Where the heck is this place? England? Canuckistan? Ow-strilia? The Vatican?

I am truly curious.

Murphyland (NJ). One of the most restrictive places in the 50 to own a firearm.
Holy smokes. That is SO wrong. I just walked in the gun store today, filled out the FEDERAL bullshit, bought the PUG, some ammo, and walked out. Five minutes.

I bet Tony Soprano's boys all were "heavy" from the time they stole their first car. New Joisey. Ouch.

If you like that......here's more.

Since each permit to purchase a handgun is valid for only one handgun purchase, this effectively creates a seven-day waiting period for all handgun sales. The waiting period to obtain the permit itself can be as long as 30 days

ps. I like the PUG

Bought a PUG today. My carry gun is getting just too heavy if I am wearing shorts (which I am 90% of the time). This one weighs 6 fargin ounces. You cannot even feel it in your pocket.

Cute little thing. 5-shot, but this ole sojer does not trust their self-proclaimed "brilliant" half-cock solution for hammer strike firing hazard. So I do the old fashioned "empty chamber" thing. <-- That can't fail...

Jeez. If I can't get a perp five feet away with four shots, I shoulda stood at home.
View attachment 5665
i have always thought i would like to have one of those with the folding grip.....they seem to be good for just what you mention summer shorts or similar situations....and while they are low power sure beats a stick in my opinion

Just took the little beastie out back and fired four rounds. It is a loud little shit, being 22Mag. Hit a paper plate at 20 feet (all over it, but hit it). The thing has SIGHTS on it. Silliest thing you ever saw. You just cannot use the sights.

Jeez... typed this yestiddy afternoon, and got called out to make boneless pork chops into weiner schnitzel, and did not post it.

Attachments

• 1673129537895.png
    1673129537895.png
    166.1 KB · Views: 4
Curious your state.....I live in a fairly free state I only need the specific hunting licenses to take game none required for specific methods and no classes etc
Indiana requires a archery license, a firearms license (good for any firearm during 3 week gun season) and muzzleloader license for the 3 week ML season....now granted you can buy an antlerless,only license and it is good through all 3 seasons....also anyone buying license that was born after 1985 ithink has to have hunter Ed course.

Me? I bought a lifetime license in 2002 when they were $475...cant buy them now....firearms license only is $40 now.

Walt

i can’t make out the brand - can you give a link
It's called a Pug. .22 Magnum

HAH! I see Arminius is right on the ball.

It gives a really loud bang for such a little beastie. It is the smallest gun I own. Weighs so close to nuthin' in yer pocket that you do not even feel it.
i have always thought i would like to have one of those with the folding grip.....they seem to be good for just what you mention summer shorts or similar situations....and while they are low power sure beats a stick in my opinion

Just noticed the bolded... A YouTube armorer guy tested several kinds of pistols for penetrating power and effect (using human model dummy). Turns out this surprising little bastage is FAR more potent than a .25 auto, or .22 long rifle pistol.

Last edited:

Summers in the Washington DC area are hot and humid. I wear cargo shorts and golf shirts almost exclusively during this season. I picked up a Smith and Wesson Model 638. It's an Airweight J-frame. Holds 5 rounds of .38 Special +P and comes in at just under a pound fully loaded. I don't even bother with a holster - I simply drop it in my right-front pocket as I'm heading out the door.

638.jpg

Summers in the Washington DC area are hot and humid. I wear cargo shorts and golf shirts almost exclusively during this season. I picked up a Smith and Wesson Model 638. It's an Airweight J-frame. Holds 5 rounds of .38 Special +P and comes in at just under a pound fully loaded. I don't even bother with a holster - I simply drop it in my right-front pocket as I'm heading out the door.

View attachment 6152
YOWZA, I got one of those. Carried it for years. But when you gets to be really old and you only wear shorts in Floriduh, It tends to pull yer pantses down. That's why I got a shooter that weighs a third of the one shown.

The trade-off is that the Pug is single-action.

View attachment 6152
Those lil Smith hammerless revolvers are what I got for my girls to purse or pocket carry...they are a great defense option in my opinion

Those lil Smith hammerless revolvers are what I got for my girls to purse or pocket carry...they are a great defense option in my opinion
YOWZA, Pick up, point, shoot. No fancy racking back, getting everything lined up like a slot machine, flipping the side safety (up? down? forward? back?) before you can fire.

YOWZA, Pick up, point, shoot. No fancy racking back, getting everything lined up like a slot machine, flipping the side safety (up? down? forward? back?) before you can fire.
No safety....side button is cylinder release....no exposed hammer to catch on things..they are pretty snappy due to being lightweight...I got my gals the airweight version with pink laser grips (it's a girl thing) lol.....hers is a 642s&w

more info on both models and discussion here

Last edited:

I still have a perky bottom. :ROFLMAO: My pants stay up just fine.

No safety....side button is cylinder release....no exposed hammer to catch on things..they are pretty snappy due to being lightweight...I got my gals the airweight version ls with pink laser grips (it's a girl thing) lol.....hers is a 642s&w

more info on both models and discussion here

Yep. The 638 has a hammer, but it is recessed so it doesn't snag on anything. I like the fact that I can go single action if I want to. Smith & Wesson still make the best triggers for wheel guns in my opinion.

Awhile ago the State of Illinois had such a backlog of renewals for their FOID that some people had a firearm but no current FOID. Some were unable to purchase ammunition for their currently legally owned firearms. The Illinois State Police were in charge of issuing the renewal FOIDS but for some unknown reason were behind is sending out the updated FOIDS.

At the time that this fiasco was going on citizens were complaining that this is what happens when there was no timeline or penalty for the issuing authority to do their job on a timely basis. A valid FOID is needed to purchase either ammunition or a new firearm.

Like a weatherman you can be wrong 90% of the time but still keep your job.

Awhile ago the State of Illinois had such a backlog of renewals for their FOID that some people had a firearm but no current FOID. Some were unable to purchase ammunition for their currently legally owned firearms. The Illinois State Police were in charge of issuing the renewal FOIDS but for some unknown reason were behind is sending out the updated FOIDS.

At the time that this fiasco was going on citizens were complaining that this is what happens when there was no timeline or penalty for the issuing authority to do their job on a timely basis. A valid FOID is needed to purchase either ammunition or a new firearm.

Like a weatherman you can be wrong 90% of the time but still keep your job.
I purposefully choose to live in a fairly free state and a very free county.....but I empathize with your pain

Back
Top Bottom