Good quality safe for gold and silver storage

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

dontdeBasemebro

Big Eyed Bug
Reaction score
Any good quality safe is designed to be bolted to the floor. A heavy, fireproof safe bolted to the concrete floor in your basement is about as good as you can do (for those who have basements).

I can't speak from experience, but from looking at safes I think that http://www.brownsafe.com/ and http://www.graffundersafes.com/ are the best out there. Just $.02 from an engineer with an internet connection.

BTW, for the Brown safes, they do a lot of custom/designer type of work, but they do make plain-jane models that don't have all the exotic wood trim and such. Clearly one of their customers reads PMbug.com (see pics 28 & 29) http://www.brownsafe.com/gallery/GemSeries/Gem_Gallery.html:clap:

hey I read a thing the other day, if you do bolt a safe to the floor (concrete) do it against a wall and bolt it there also so it can't be rocked.

and this is another great website, there is a great variety of safes' types and sizes
www.safes-fireproof.com

you make your decision according to the storage size that you need and the place you have to put the safe secure.

wishing you good luck

@Jay, I think these ideas are useful, but the better is if you can cut into a wall to provide suitable place for the safe to hide, and then conceal it simply be a drawing or something.

you may also lock it inside a special slot in a closet, of course if it's a small safe.

about hiding it under the flooring, it's amazing, and this is done much easier if the house is still underconstruction.

LOL at the "inventor", who "invented" that the best possible hiding spot for a safe is a SOFA. One of the first places where burglars would check for hidden stuff :D

@bushi
I like the quotation in your reply "... the issue which, etc, is the People versus the Banks"
sounds like the most suitable thing to say thinking about banking issues in Cyprus, it's really freaking me out.

At a recent gun show I saw a cool idea for storing stuff in let us say, unconventional locations. It is a simple contraption consisting of a 6" or 8" piece of PVC cut down to 4' length and bushed on both ends. One end is simply a screw on cap and the other is a 'clean-out' plug. They used 3/8" nylon stranded rope to weave a nice sling on to it and then on the clean-out end, they screwed in an eye hook to which a chain was fastened. The chain was then screwed to the side of the bushing so as not to penetrate the pipe interior. All in all pretty cool if you ask me, and the damn thing can be buried for years without leaking.

Yes, especially if you live in a place like I do, the PVC/burial thing is tops. No one can steal what they don't even know to look for (OPSEC!). Yet you can find it later with a metal detector, even if the vegetation has changed a bit. You wouldn't do this in some dense suburbia, since you'd be noticed out there with your shovel at one end or the other of the process.

Now, I have some other options too - I have a few buildings here, and have had the experience of being full-searched (for drugs), and found out where they do and don't look. So there's a bit of "heavy metal" of various sorts here and there in places no one looks (think behind junk in a storage building, inside walls...attic..behind cobwebs so it looks like no one's touched it in a long time (the actual case). And those cobwebs or mouse poop let me know it's still there without having to check, a variant on the old trade-craft of hanging a hair across a door-jamb or dresser drawer to see if it's been opened since.

Interestingly, I had this same idea (I believe it was discussed here somewhat earlier too). I've got stock of the pipe etc, but I didn't want to get into my lab prototyping stuff, so I went to Lowes right about when the fear about Obama and guns had made it hard to get either guns (prices sky high) or ammo, to buy some more to make a few of these. Guess what? They were out of stock, totally.
(I had to go to a local but not well known PVC pipe wholesaler to get mine.)

So I ask the Lowes floor-walker guy what's up. He sez that for "some strange reason" a ton of people had been in there the last few days buying it all up, and they hadn't gotten restocked yet. He thought it a little strange that people were buying pipes, caps, glue - and no other fittings, like a plumber would be doing.

It's nice to know you've got company.

The big safe thing just doesn't get it for me, personally. I keep a few guns around where they don't show, but I know where they are - ready (and which are loaded - I don't have kids to worry about). And a tiny amount of PMs, kind of a bug-out amount, an amount I could lose and it not be the end of the world (but which might satisfy a thief such that they stopped looking). Lots of people around here have those big safes for guns, some bolted, some not. There have been attempts to steal them - it's advertising you've got something that needs a safe, after all.

They do tend to work against the stupid...there was a case 3 years ago where someone couldn't crack the safe (obviously they didn't read the MIT paper that shows how to do it easily) - so they tried to steal the entire thing. It was found in the front yard - with an *arm* under it...and a blood trail.
Weight and gravity appear to beat stupid.

On the other hand, a safe is no good against the .gov, or what we in the security biz used to call "rubber hose crypto". You think you wouldn't give up the combo under torture, or threat of the death of your family? Get real.

At a recent gun show I saw a cool idea for storing stuff in let us say, unconventional locations. It is a simple contraption consisting of a 6" or 8" piece of PVC cut down to 4' length and bushed on both ends. One end is simply a screw on cap and the other is a 'clean-out' plug. They used 3/8" nylon stranded rope to weave a nice sling on to it and then on the clean-out end, they screwed in an eye hook to which a chain was fastened. The chain was then screwed to the side of the bushing so as not to penetrate the pipe interior. All in all pretty cool if you ask me, and the damn thing can be buried for years without leaking.

seems like twenty dollars made me three of them, but now I can't even remember...

Mark,
Just remember,as we get older we need to remember where we buried it.....
:flushed::flail:

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

Jim/Jay/DC,
I figure the best place is right along the fence row, next to an actual 4 X 4 post. Bury them vertically so they leave a much smaller footprint. I would even say to cut them longer and place a grocery bag full of sand on the top to create a block between the metal and whatever metal detecting device may or may not be used at some point to find it.

ancona, I like your thought, and as BigJim says, you have to remember. When I can't do that any more, does it matter? I guess that depends on the terrain you're dealing with - near my fences (what little I have) or border doesn't appeal to me personally. I've got better spots.

I would rather bury the goods in my back yard!

The safes are "good" for those who have a fortune to spend on them... plus: some safes do break, what if you can't open them?

As for "good thieves" - as soon as they come across a safe they can find a way to open it...

If someone can buy a big wall safe like that... they can buy 12.7 kg gold bars as well!

As for the bookshelf safes... gives me the creeps: what if I keep a party and one of the guests starts looking at my books, "hey, what's that" and picks up the phony book safe?

I'd say bury them in your garden or don't even keep them in your house!

:p

Looked around for a newer thread to post this in.........couldn't find one.

Storing Your Precious Metals: Everything You Need To Know​

Jul 6, 2023

18:23

*For anyone who thinks safe deposit box = think back to the corona virus lock downs & closures.

LOL....mason jars in the back yard worked in past times ....probably work today......just bury it under some old aluminum cans n such to throw of metal detectors

Bury it anywhere you want. When you're done scatter a few handfuls of small ball bearings over it and all around the area. Small bearings will hide in the grass / weeds and not get picked up by lawnmowers. They'll have to dig up the whole yard to find it.

Keep it in the cat litter box.

Here's a couple of articles about Liberty Safe. Mostly concerns gun safes but if you own a safe you can put anything you want in it.

Liberty Safe Customers to Sell Gun Safes Over Outrage at FBI Raid​

Some social media users have said that they are planning to sell or return their Liberty Safes amid ongoing outrage after the gun safe manufacturer provided customer information to the FBI.

Liberty Safe has faced a flood of backlash this week after revealing the company provided an access code to the FBI for "the safe of an individual for who they had a warrant to search their property." The safe belonged to Nathan Hughes, 34, who was wanted by the FBI for alleged crimes related to the riot at the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021.

Liberty Safe said in a statement posted to X: "Our company protocol is to provide access codes to law enforcement if a warrant grants them access to a property. After receiving the request, we received proof of the valid warrant, and only then did we provide them with an access code. Liberty Safe had no knowledge of any of the details surrounding the investigation at the time."

More:

Liberty Safe allowing customers to 'expunge' their access codes amid calls for boycott​

The gun safe manufacturer Liberty Safe has adjusted its policies in the wake of backlash it received from conservatives online after it provided the access code to one of its safes to the FBI.

Liberty Safe was ordered by the federal government on Aug. 30 to give the access code to the safe of an individual the agency was investigating. The safe manufacturer clarified that they keep a database of "factory-set combinations" for their safes so as to help customers who need it for various reasons, such as forgetting their combination or if an agency has a warranty to open the safe.

More:

Liberty Gun Safes Getting FLAMED for Betraying Passcode of Jan 6 Defendant​

I wouldn't even call those safes. I could get into one of those crap boxes in less than 5 minutes.

Looked around for a newer thread to post this in.........couldn't find one.

Storing Your Precious Metals: Everything You Need To Know​

Jul 6, 2023

18:23

*For anyone who thinks safe deposit box = think back to the corona virus lock downs & closures.

Not only that but paperwork errors have led to people having their boxes and contents forfeited.

In my opinion, anything with an electronic opener is just a box. I consider a "safe" to have a fully mechanical lock mechanism, like a S&G lock. It might have only a basic design, or it might have one of their two manipulation resistant locks. I have all three and I have played with them over the years. But I think even their 6300 is okay.

But this subject is about security for PM, right? The safe is NOT your best choice. Think about it. Think again. I hope this resonates with you and you make a good plan. If not, try again. Your safety is up to you. .... Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom